Whats Wrong With Emperor?

Singleplayer campaign in Emperor is horrendous.

The box claims "over 150 singleplayer missions". That's total nonsense.  Most of the singleplayer "missions" have no script, no voice acting, no goals, and consist of you defending the SAME TERRITORIES that you ALREADY CAPTURED over and over and OVERRRRRRRR again hundreds of times.  That's not fun.

Add to this the fact that the "story" is non-existent, you have about 15 minutes of FMV in *total* for all of Emperor.   That's grossly inadequate.  If they wanted to tell a story with FMV, they should have provided an ample amount of FMV, or not included FMV at all.  To leave it in as a half-baked inclusion just adds to the frustration.   Plus, what tiny bits of FMV there is, is almost identical for all 3 houses.  The ending consists of not even a speech by the new Emperor, just seeing him wear his crown for 15 seconds, followed by a bunch of generic gobbeldy-gook that has no relevance to the game whatsoever.

The multiplayer game is full of bugs that ruin the gameplay and allow people with virtually no skill to beat people of substantial skill, and the ladders are chock full of cheaters and Westwood doesn't care.  No one polices the Tournaments, so they are meaningless.

I could write a book about why Emperor is unpopular, don't have the time right now though.  If you want more info, post again and I'll respond with even more detail.

I wouldn't listen to Nav. He always comes online to complain about how "I LOST TO THIS BUG FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!" He even wants them to take off cloaking for infiltrators just because he can't deal with them. The reason westwood abandoned the game was because it was meant to be a test for the 3d engine they would use in C&C Generals. This game wasn't meant to generate very much income, otherwise there would have been somewhat of an attempt to advertise it.

Either that, or because EA decided that it was "unviable" Ever since EA took control of Westwood, the company has been going downhill.

the title of this thread shoudl be

'Whats wrong with Navaros'

why would you go bashing this game like hell to someone who is keeping this game alive? you make it sound like you hate this game so plz just leave! if it sucks and you like to talk shit about it and everyone else just leave mofo! >:(

Most people who disagree with my assessment of the bugs in Emperor are inexperienced when it comes to real games (read: Quickmatch games); hence they have no comprehension, understanding, or appreciation of just how real and prevalent the gameplay-ruining bugs in Emperor are.

Thanks to Gob for pointing out the fact that the AI programmer for Emperor left before the game was done.  That explains *TONS*.  Especially why there are dozens upon dozens of pathfinding bugs that make playing Emperor a chore rather than fun, and let good players lose to players with no skill.

IMHO Emp is good fun and I play it still. I has been abandoned by WW and I have no idea why for sure, but I read that the game engine was almost abandoned at one stage in favor of the Renegade engine which also was behind Earth and Beyond (I am beta-ing that).

Reading between the lines this either is to do with internal politics and one upmanship or is to do with productivity/time ratio, as the Renegade engine may be easier & quicker to programme. Or a bit of both !! Renegade is getting a little crit for its gfx quality so the pendulumn may swing back.

Emp Bugs are not game stoppers.

There are a few errors with unit movement which are not fixed yet e.g. adv Carryalls, and generally unit collision footprints are too large which makes moving units awkward and they often back away from targets. Also the occasional anomaly with APCs which shows that the proggy was not quite fully polished on release.

*sniffs* :'(

Renegade is a great  game to play. The game is very original and the Game play is holding on your pants.

They should focus on making a Dunelike Regenade game. Same engine and same gameplay as Renegade but then Harkonnen/Ordos/Atreides/Corrino style.  ;)

Emperor of dune is still alive by the players of it. Too bad there aren't good coders so they could make patches for the game.

I totally agree with Das419. IMHO Emperor is one of the best Westwood RTS games ever. When I looked for fan sites of the game, I was amazed with how few there were.

Maybe the Houses could be more unique (like in Starcraft, which I still consider to be the best RTS game), but the gameplay and graphics are superb. I didn't play the campaign (besides for 4 or 5 Harkonnen missions), but I do play it over the LAN and my games are in no way ruined by bugs. The pathfinding is a bit sloppy, but not in a 'this-makes-the-game-sucks'-kinda way.

Emperor is a good game, there is nothing wrong with, nobody listen to those who say it's abondened and that's why a bad game.

And about the 150 missions, there ARE 150 missions and more. You can't play them in 1 campaign. That's all.

To make it clear, a mission is different from a map...

Navaros, there ARE 150 missions! But a "mission" means one of those things you get towards the BEGINNING of the game. Those are fun. And you only get a small fraction of them in one campaign. For example, when I first played the Emp campaign, I got NO Sardaukar missions whatsoever (except right after the first mission). Yet we all know there are plenty of them.

Timenn is right. Don't mistake maps for missions.

And you don't have to do defensive missions if you don't want to! I don't mean retreating, I mean rushing early with an APC full of engys! For me, no defensive mission lasted more than 5 minutes.

Das 419, the reason Emperor failed is that WW/EA didn't bother to advertise it. When they realized their mistake, it was too late. So they abandoned it.

Navaros, there ARE 150 missions! But a "mission" means one of those things you get towards the BEGINNING of the game. Those are fun. And you only get a small fraction of them in one campaign. For example, when I first played the Emp campaign, I got NO Sardaukar missions whatsoever (except right after the first mission). Yet we all know there are plenty of them.

Timenn is right. Don't mistake maps for missions.

And you don't have to do defensive missions if you don't want to! I don't mean retreating, I mean rushing early with an APC full of engys! For me, no defensive mission lasted more than 5 minutes.

Das 419, the reason Emperor failed is that WW/EA didn't bother to advertise it. When they realized their mistake, it was too late. So they abandoned it.

Even so, I doubt there is anywhere near 150 missions.

You still don't see the different between maps and missions. And there are many maps. Only not 150 of them... And if you want to conquer all, you need to play 20 + 20 (for the regions to conquers and the counterattacks) + 5 (other missions) = 45 missions in total...

Defending your own capitol? Hmm never tried to come thusfar... Looks nice. But I meant the starting mission with my counting. 1 for starter, 1 heighliner, 1 homeplantetrouble, 1 attackcapitol, 1 attackplanet, 1 emperorworm. Hmm sorry Nema, it were 6 different missions then the regional missions...

Nav, what the hell are you talking about with your "100 000 000 times"?? When does the AI attack the same territory twice? Didn't you conquer a NEW territory in the mean time? If he attacks the same map twice, that leaves one map that he doesn't attack at all. You don't defend more than you attack!!

Nav, what the hell are you talking about with your "100 000 000 times"?? When does the AI attack the same territory twice? Didn't you conquer a NEW territory in the mean time? If he attacks the same map twice, that leaves one map that he doesn't attack at all. You don't defend more than you attack!!

Sure you do.

Eh, the computer attack you only 1 time a round. If you are attacked by the Harkonnen for example, the Ordos won't attack you that round, but the Harkonenn, and if they can't they skip that turn...

And ofcourse there is a goal with each mission. But sometimes it's just a destroyallgoal. You had that too with TS, RA, C&C, Dune2k etc...

And if you don't want to capture all territories, just go straight ahead for a capitol...

Nav, if you go straight for a capitol you will have a 12-mission campaign. Seems reasonable. Most RTS games give you about this amount of missions.

And also, if you go straight for a capitol you will only get scripted MISSIONS, with voice acting and all that (INCLUDING the defensive missions). You will also get a movie after almost each mission! (only 3 missions won't be followed by movies)  If you want to conquer the whole planet and play 50 missions, don't complain that they eventually get boring!!