Sandtrout/godemperor

Zopwx2

Take a minute and think about this. Why in the hell would leto put goo from a sand trout on himself and become a sandworm. Isn't this wierd, even for the dune series. Im not sure I get why or how it is even possible.

I kinda see the Golden Path as destablising humanity enough so that there's no Emperor, no one man who effectively decides the fate of mankind. Leto II did the whole sandtrout thing so he could build up a heavy reliance on him and then do the scattering which was the destabilising bit.

TMA-1 is very good with these things. Where is he....?

hehe thanks :)

You have the general and best idea I think Tio. The times during Leto II were times of repression and building of emotional/religious/ethical/cultural pressure. Leto held it all back in a constant dark age of sorts. With this repression he was creating a spring effect. Once he died, and he knew he would, people would scatter across the known universe. It was like the reformation after the dark ages for europe, just much larger and much much more grand. People finally started to move throughout the universe, people started exploring to find freedom. Religions abounded, and free thought came. It is also the time when many offshoots and sects of groups came into being.

What leto II did was genius. He held them back so that they would want to diversify. The gene pool of humanity was slowly decaying from it's healthy state. The stagnation of the pool lead Leto to see the destruction of humankind. This is why he had to repress, and had to become a God. He had to force people to diversify, and what better way than a total reformation of things? A total drive to do the unthinkable and daring, as well as having the drive to find one's own destiny instead of it being controlled by a liege lord.

wasn't it also connected with stagnation? Everyone was sticking on their own planets, everyone was either ixian or rakian or danian or whatever. But with the scattering it provided a greater diversification.

To be honest tho, my views on the golden path were partly taken from the miniseries. I'm gonna reread franks books tho to redefine my views on leto II and his effects especially.

actually the mini had a very good idea of what the golden path is. even though it was extremely vague. you were right to partially trust it. I think so at least. Yeah that is what I said above. Genetic and cultural stagnation was the problem, people needed to move out and explore. that is why leto II created a spring effect so that once he died and his tyrannical rule was gone, people would shoot out into the stars and find their own way to live.

isn't that reflected in the fact that there is a lot less of a ruling class/body, on a universal scale, maybe within a planet, after Leto II? Like there's no more emperors controlling everything then. I know it doesn't say there is a ruler specifically, but is there one after Leto II?