Our Own WOL?

I was talking to Olaf today about doing something similar to his RA2 ladders/server. From what I've seen over at his site it would work for Emperor too. Would people be interested in moving off the WW servers and instead using servers run by us?

This would include the ladders at first and maybe chat servers as well.

Their ladders are here:

http://xccu.sourceforge.net/xcl/

if you bring ladders here, you will have the members of this site being proven to cheat with stats. unless you, Gob, are prepared to allow totally free discussion amongst all ladder players - and when cheaters are proven, they are gonna be flamed and ridiculed, that's INEVITABLE (as they need to be, unless you're going to allow cheating players to retain their "ranks" on the Ladders) - then there's no point having the ladders here

No you would have to change your game slightly to do it. But since most players come here anyhow it shouldn't be too hard to get people to use it.

And the bonus of using this is that if WOL does go down someday we already have a backup.

No you would have to change your game slightly to do it. But since most players come here anyhow it shouldn't be too hard to get people to use it.

And the bonus of using this is that if WOL does go down someday we already have a backup.

That would be the big improvment though.

What exactly you mean by this "btw, I need someone to collect the packets sent to WW after an Emperor game."

Would people be interested in moving off the WW servers and instead using servers run by us?

I'd be willing to, on a few conditions:

1. The servers must be moderated. Spamming, flaming, and general verbal abuse whether it's in the form of general chat or paging should not be tolerated. If this is not feasible, then I suggest an 'ignore' feature be implemented.

2. The servers have to run considerably well. (At least not more laggy than WOL).

3. You should be able to control who comes into your game. Kicking people out of your 'game setup room' and setting passwords to enter them just like on WOL should be a standard feature.

As for the ladders/ranking/stats/etc, they're of little concern to me, since I don't play BC or QM games.

Btw, how would you have to modify your game in order to get it to work with these servers? ???

I thought about this a while ago but no one I talked to seemed interested in the idea. If you were going to do it through the network protocol it would also allow 8 player games. Just a thought.

Your serious? An 8 way game? By george I'm there! 8)

Yes its working again after I re-installed. Turns out that the WW servers are turned off so we can't use that to find out what information is sent. So Olaf is working on a way around that.

btw, I don't know if we'll have servers set up right off the bat, it will most likely just be a ladder. And I'm also unsure if it will allow 8 player games... Olaf might be able to respond to that next time he comes by here.

Well there is a difference. One is a ladder that gets sent game reports and the other is actual server that would completely replace WOL.

Basically all that is happening now is a replacement ladder. So instead of sending game reports to Westwoods servers, which aren't even turned on anymore, it would send it to a server we run. You would still play your games on the regular WOL servers and you could still play with people who haven't made the change.