FYI for all

Frodo_I

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Take a look at that article and please read it. That article details how kids are using IRC and IRCD chat in online video games to take over your computer. I know the article is long, if anyone wants to summarize it feel free; but, it tells you why they do it, how it's done, where it's done, how to test to see if you have it, what to do if you do have it and want it removed, what firewalls do and DO NOT detect it, etc, etc

Any self respectable gamer that doesn't want his/her cable line being used without his/her permission WILL read this article!

FWH

What do online video games have to do with this article?

Basically the problem is that people are stupid and get viruses/trojans installed on their computer and have no clue that they do. Don't want this to happen, don't be stupid and check regularly for open ports and viruses.

Same here, I fail to see a direct relation between that article and online games.

It does show a attitude of most "hackers" that are capable of those things. if you don't do anything to them, they won't do anything to you. Mind that wicked wasn't the one capable of doing so. Just using means provided by others.

[ and I know that home users are scared enough of those small "crackers" and related to DDoS attacks there isn't much they can do against them ]

Kind of nice to see Chello.nl made it to the top 10 of that list. Even remember that Dutch hackergroup [ something related to cows ] claiming to have 5.000+ computers they can use located in The Netherlands alone.

If your computer is used in such an attack, first of you are stupid enough [ sorry for the phrase as it can happen to all of us I guess, including me in that ] to have a client installed on your PC. Although besides that and your bandwidth being used it doesn't really effect you. Being the target of such an attack doesn't do much harm either. As a home user your maximun download speed usually varies from 128k to 1,5mb. It doesn't require much to DDoS that to death. But when they should do so, it hasn't got any serious effects on your PC besides it being a pain and you not being able to surf the net or game as you would like. As such DDoS attacks are harmfull but also harmless. As in my view, real hacking results in the infection [ and as such the abilety to root it ] of a server or the posession of non-public data from one.

Although pissing some one off from time to time with a DDoS attack can have his charmes from time to time if that persone is really bugging you .. :-[

What do online video games have to do with this article?

Basically the problem is that people are stupid and get viruses/trojans installed on their computer and have no clue that they do. Don't want this to happen, don't be stupid and check regularly for open ports and viruses.

WOW, Gob's getting cynical!! :O

And it DOES have to do with online gaming. You guys here may not have seen it much but the entire WW community was getting spammed with advertisments for downloading trainers, hacks, and custom maps when in fact it was the trojan >:(. Thats how these guys get their "zombies", from kids and unsuspecting gamers! ANd Gob, face it, not everyone has your skillz with checking ports and scanning for infected files ;). For that matter, you cannot scan for sub7 cause it inputs a RANDOMLY named file into your computer and then deletes itself! How can you scan for something named "evilprogram" when it's real name is 00789nm33??

The best thing to do is be aware that there is a something that sucks up your bandwidth, don't install downloaded programs without scanning it first, tell people about it, which is what i'm doing for you guys ;D

and gryphon, I understand your point, and your entitled to your opinion, but ddos attacks DO harm, if you own a business, use messaging for school, do online transactions, etc, it affects you in a serious way. And don't say it cannot infect your computer, because the Sub7 allows the hackers to INPUT commands to your computer as well. Just cause commands are input through IRC doesn't mean they never hurt your computer, that !udp command is just one of many, MANY commands that can be sent to all or any zombie computer.

FWH

Well advertising to get people to download programs is different then hacking someone through the game. You make the article out to be something explaining about how games can get you viruses and trojans when its more about a guy trying to figure out why he was getting attacked and IRC happens to be the medium the hackers use to control bots and communicate.

If you're stupid about this kind of thing you can run a firewall, the problem though is that people think that because they have a firewall they're safe which isn't necessarily true. If you want to lessen the chances of getting trojans/viruses don't download crap off kazaa or whatever the kiddies use today and don't open up files or email attachments that come from a source you aren't sure is reputable or look weird. In most cases that should be good enough.

My comment an DDoS attacks not doing much harm was stricktly for home non-buisnes users. Otherwise I agree.

And a DDoS attacks are different than a Sub7 programms being used to controle you computer.

And I didn't notice anything while playing Yuri's Revenge online.. .some ad's in the chatscreens. .that's basically it.

My comment an DDoS attacks not doing much harm was stricktly for home non-buisnes users. Otherwise I agree.

And a DDoS attacks are different than a Sub7 programms being used to controle you computer.

And I didn't notice anything while playing Yuri's Revenge online.. .some ad's in the chatscreens. .that's basically it.

DDOS = Distributed Denial Of Service attack. It means people can try to access you and cannot because someone has overloaded your bandwidth. No where in DDOS does it say you can only do it with pinging a server. Sub7 is the program the people use to take over the computers or the "zombies". It doesn't have to be SUb7, but it is in this particular case. Sub7 can ALSO be used to format your hard drive if the bot "script kiddy" decides to. Hence why I said the "bot nets" are particularily hazardous to gamers health. Reciently, there was a guy that was also using activeX controls, something where it automatically installs and you never are even "prompted" for approval. Gob might not even know about that one. Basically you have to have activeX controls shut off or a good antivirus program because the "free" virus software did not catch it.

You don't see any advertising of the trojans on WWOL because the two guys that were doing it got caught, at least one got caught and had his secret server taken away, the other guy went on vacation and has yet to do it since. But I may still have one of the links they used, if i find it i'll post it just to show you what the sites advertising them looked like

FWH

sub7 is a programm that can be used in a DDoS attack, where a DDoS attack is a wawy of "attacking" a computer. So one doesn't nessesarely lead to another. As nothing in a Sub7 programm indicates it will be used for a DDoS attack. It's aremote controle programm, and as such can not be used for a DDoS attack, your computer with it's own command [ prompt ] is.

But that are small things, think we get eatchothers point :)

and I would like the link, if you are not allowed to post it and would find it youare free to IM it if you'd like. :)