A list of all Dune books and related work

Egeides

Just added a couple titles not on the list, like Dune 8 and The Road to Dune.

Didn't add Paul of Dune because neither Herbert or Anderson mentioned it being on there lsit of books when they said what they wre writing. Didn't add the graphic novels either, becasue they are still in negotioations.

• 2 weeks later...

On the back flap of Frank Herbert's The White Plague it says

including a recent book on home computers.

So he wrote a book on home computers? How fascinating.

I will add that, although not sure on real title

Mahdi, when you say Dune 8, are you referring to if/when they make dune 7 into two or three books?

Also maybe we should start adding the year the books/games/etc. were first published.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I just came across something that might be of Frank Herbert interest.

From my univeristy library:

Personal Author : Whitehead, Bill. UNAUTHORIZED

Title : ESP : the fourth dimension of information [sound recording] / Bill Whitehead..

Publication Information : Toronto : Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1971.

Physical Description : 1 sound cassette (60 min.)

Series Title : Ideas.Ideas on information ; n.10

Credits : Producer : Robert Zend.

Performer : Readings : Frank Herbert ; Jim Robertson. Host : Rex Loring.

Subject Term : Extrasensory perception. ^A197734

Added Author : Zend, Robert. ^A103372Herbert, Frank. ^A86334Robertson, Jim. ^A19003Loring, Rex. UNAUTHORIZED

Wonder what he says. I still need to listen to the other 5 sound recordings from there about Dune.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the 1984 movies, I have two versions, the theatrical release that is available currently in stores (credited as directed by David Lynch with screenplay by David Lynch) and an alternate version that is some hour longer, but with directing credit given to Alan Smithee and screenplay to someone other than David Lynch. I am confused on how there can be a different director, since this extended version uses much of the original footage and the entire score as included in the Lynch version, but adds a bunch of voiceovers and anima-graphics to link the galaxy in a different way than in the Lynch version. Anyone know the details of the variants? And are there any other variants? I remember when it came out in the theatres in 1984, there was talk that a 3+ hour version didn't do well at pre-screenings and it was truncated. I've been looking for a director's cut of the film ever since, but see no sign of it ever emerging.

Found the answer to my own question, should anyone be interested

from http://www.geocities.com/bg_trivia/dina.html

"The version which is commonly shown on television contains some scenes which were not in the movie. It is not available on video cassette. It is 4 hours long with commercials. This version contains certain scenes that the director, David Lynch, wanted cut, such as a scene of Gurney playing the baliset, and a voiceover introducing some of the characters. Lynch petitioned the Director's Guild to have his name removed from the credits of this version. The generic 'Alan Smithee' appears in his place."

Of course it IS available on video cassette, if you dig deep enough on ebay.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have read the first six Herbert books and want to continue to read more. Are numbers 7 and 8 on the list of his books worth reading or should I move on to the books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson? Also, I have never heard of the first Book on their list. Is it any good?

Thanks. :)