christianity

Emperor Harkonnen

that sounds very realistic since christianity is the most tolerant religion they would accept such a thing. but then again the largest religion would not loose so many of it's values

I wouldn't say most tolerant...

it was disbanded during the C.E.T.

and by the way I am staying in duniverse. just because I am not moderator doesnt mean I can help around and talk with fellow dune oriented fans. :)

Preaching of Jesus was just filled by some more things. There is still enough work to do in everything. Anybody has an idea what is "mahayana"? It sounds eastly. I think Herbert had as well no idea what he is writing, just took some words and mixed them to make the book interesting.

You're not the only one. In Neverwinter Nights there is a character called Formosa. Can anyone tell me where Formosa is?

Yes, it is actually a place! :)

Back to topic, why would Buddhism and Islam merge? And produce a religion that, if Abulurd is anything to go by, is one of the most tolerant and peaceful ever.

I think christianity morphed into the OC Bible, and as for the rest of it I have no idea.

possible spoiler about religion in chapterhouse dune

[hide]

there were Jews in the book, and they somewhat kept their religion as a secret.

[/hide]

hinduism? no no no

I believe that the more eastern beliefs you are talking about are from sufism and zeroastrianism. Much of the vedic-like religious overtones are mostly from those religions it seems. Christianity doesnt seem to play that huge of a role, It actually seems that Judaism is more influencing in the beliefs of the people of Dune.

I would say the dominant structures of theri belief consist of

Buddhism

Taoism

Sufism

Zeroastrianism

Judaism

islam

middle eastern mythology

a little christianity

~~~~~~

that seems to me to be the base sources of their beliefs. Christianity plays little influence really. much of what you think is christianity is judaism.

Abraham, considered as a founder of believe in one God, was ages before Zoroaster. I would say it vice versa. Also Jews believe only in one primary force, the God, which made all, unstraightly even the evil. Zoroaster set a believe in two main principes: good and evil, equal powers, on which balances the mankind. Today it is rather dead religion, so I don't look on it very much. But maybe the real role of Satan, which is scarcely in older books of Bible, could be based on it - Jews were allies of Persia.

OC Bible was made by a Ecumenic Commission, which was composed on theologists of the most spreaded religions, including buddislam and mahayana christianity, as written in appendix. I can't say all, because I haven't the book at hand now, but easily I can say the OC Bible project was like Corrino emperor (as written in their prequel), trying to make a "lighthouse" for people scarced over universe.

Preaching of Jesus was just filled by some more things. There is still enough work to do in everything. Anybody has an idea what is "mahayana"? It sounds eastly. I think Herbert had as well no idea what he is writing, just took some words and mixed them to make the book interesting.

Mahayana is one of the three initial forms of Buddism. A fourth one could be added named "Modern Buddism" which is in reaction to contact with exterior.

Source: http://www.religioustolerance.com/