Inkvine Catapults

Thexorb

Inkvines are one of the very most powerful units in the game. in fact, they are *overpowered*

Navaros, save the crap for yourself, they're no where near powerful.

Its just that they're useful because it has the longest range out of all units. With that unit you can bring out tactics that can only be carried out by it i.e you can force your enemy to act if someone decides to camp

This happened in one of the single player missions.

I had a group of Mongeese (about 15) keeping the centre of the battlefield under my control while I built up a mino/sard force. The computer was Harkonnen.

Assault tanks, Missile tanks, Devastators and even Gunships attacked repeatedly. I didn't lose any mongeese, and I didn't even have a repair vehicle handy.

Then three inkvines attacked, and I lost half the Geese before taking the catapults out.

Although of course a Mongoose's armour is not great, it shows that the inkvines can do what the other Hark units couldn't.

Inkvines are over-rated by navaros and everyone else that is supporting him.

Inkvines are only usefull for killing those nasty kindjal units or troopers.

This happened in one of the single player missions.

I had a group of Mongeese (about 15) keeping the centre of the battlefield under my control while I built up a mino/sard force. The computer was Harkonnen.

Assault tanks, Missile tanks, Devastators and even Gunships attacked repeatedly. I didn't lose any mongeese, and I didn't even have a repair vehicle handy.

Then three inkvines attacked, and I lost half the Geese before taking the catapults out.

Although of course a Mongoose's armour is not great, it shows that the inkvines can do what the other Hark units couldn't.

This is 100% made up as emperor units are coded to shoot at their attackers. (when atacked)

You had built a group of 15 mongooses right?

An inkvine shot would trigger the responce of atleast 3 when it hits a mongoose (if you put them in 1 big group)

Emperor units are coded to attack their attackers.

Example: an inkvine shoots at the middle mongoose of a group of 15 mongooses, 5 mongooses receive damage and break loose from the group to attack the inkvine.

A single mongoose is enough to severely damage an inkvine catapult, 7 mongooses are enough to destroy 3 catapults. (the catapults are controlled by the AI so you can't count on micromanaging tactics)

"Assault tanks, Missile tanks, Devastators and even Gunships attacked repeatedly. I didn't lose any mongeese"

Did they attack 1 by 1? :D

I bet the missile tank when right in front of the mongoose's cockpit before even started to aim the mongoose ;D

"Then three inkvines attacked, and I lost half the Geese before taking the catapults out."

Its because you left them stationary, if you'd bother to move them, I think the one who's gonna lose some unit is the opponent and not you.

the other units probably didnt kill them because they were moving to his base, if not targeting or standing still they wouldnt attack, and even if the mongeese were on guard, if say he had fog of war on then the catapult wouldn't be seen, it would be in the black. So if the 'goose could not see the inkvine the reaction of the attack would not happen and they would stay and die

• 2 months later...

Little late with my 2cents, but here goes anyways. Alone inkines are pitiful. They are not heavily armored and the fact that it catapults into the air gives you plenty plenty of time to get your units out of harms way. Using them in tandem with other units(like buzz and fremen), makes for easy target practice on someone who is not micromanaging well. Set up your inkvine with a supporting cast just outside the opponents armies range. Let the inkvine fire at the perimeter(it will fire at the closest unit) and when the 3 or 4 units come to attack the inkvine they will get killed by your supporting cast which your opponents units will ignore.

• 3 weeks later...

use inkvines on turrets for their range. They also do between moderate to high damage on light armored vehicles. So if you get 3 inkvines to attack at the same time against a mongoose/trike/laser tank/sonic tank/dust scout/buzzsaw it will take it out.

But otherwise, if you have a wall of devestators on the attack/defensive, have inkvines line up behind them. (Worked well with me when i took out the emperor worm)

i personally am not very good with Hark, but I gurantee you that I could put a couple of elite Hark players in your path who would use Mass-Inkvines to utterly decimate your Mino-Mass

i blew 5 minos with 2 inkvines without my inkvines being hit ONCE...

b4 they actually finish firing move them away

P.S the inkivine can take some "hassle"

im not sure but i think it can take 1-2 mino loads