Making Dune Games

Obiwan

Good day to all fellow dune lovers out there!

I was just wondering about this. Would one need a license to make a Dune game? Or would one only need a license should this game become commercial?

Thankx in advance!

-Obiwan

Technically you need a license to publicly distribute any copyrighted material; however, most companies don't bother going after fan-made projects because it indirectly helps promote their products. The main exception to this is if you would try to make money off of your project or if the company can prove lost profits as a result of it.

Generally, though, using copyrighted materials places you at the mercy of the copyright holder. About six years ago LucasFilm pressured web space providers to shut down sites that used images from the Star Wars movies. As a result a lot of providers started shutting down anything Star Wars related in hopes that they weren't next on the list. I wouldn't be too worried about something like that happening, though, and assuredly most everyone here would love to see more Dune games, either professional or amateur productions.

--Bashar

Thankx! I appreciate your help! I have a friend who owns a software company that's building up a games division and he's a lover of Dune, so it's only a matter of time until a new dune game comes out, I guess ;)!

-Obiwan