Windows Registry Error

I'm having a computer problem, everytime I restart it says I have a windows registry error, and has to restart twice more to fix it. Then next time I re-start it goes through it again, and again, and again. I've run a thorough scandisk hopeing it would help, but it didn't.

It's possible that a registry key has been corrupted, but if the error message has more info than just what you said, please post it - it helps (what I did was write my error on a notepad when I booted up [i also had a registry problem] ;))

Did you recently delete anything?

I assume your not using winxp because if you were you could use a recovery point (system restore) or something.

Also attaching direct x could possibly help (We'd know what were working with; for me at least as I know about win98 and a little of xp)

If you are using win95/98 I would recommend

ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/winreg.zip

as it is a windows registry help document and one of the several I have used before to tweak and fix problems on my old computer. (although if you are computer illiterate in ways, it may be dangerous to do things it says, although easy to use some procedures)

i had that problem when working on someones 95 machine. put in a windows cd (i used 98) and while it goes through the pre-installation steps it should get to a point where it says repairing registry, after that cancel installation and it should work. and this will not make any harmful changes to your computer.

Can you attach a directx file?

Also can someone edit the "read before posting" thread with instructions on how to attach direct x file? as im sure it gest asked once in a while.

Also isnt there a registry doctor program?

scanreg or something?

Maybe try

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=registry&tg=dl-2001

programs if nothing works.

Also does computer work fine after rebooting it? is it just the error message and then having to reboot a couple of times?

Is this sort of the eror message you are getting ?

regerror.png

Not shure which Windows version you are using, alhought there are some ways to fix regestry prolems for versions prior to XP. [ not shure if they work on that, never tried but guess it should, no could ].

Reboot and press, tap (or whatever it takes) the 'CTRL" key to enter the boot menu. Select the 'COMMAND PROMPT ONLY' option and press enter.

At the C:> prompt type SCANREG /FIX and press enter. This can take up to 10 minutes or so. If the FIX procedure succeeds, run the command again as SCANREG /OPT. This will optimimize the registry.

. If all goes well, reboot and make a known good backup.

Within Windows click STARTRUN, type 'SCANREGW' in the 'Open' box and press enter.When prompted that no errors were found, answer 'YES' to backup the current registry.

You could also preform a checkup and cleaning of your regestry with regcleaner after you have rebooted, just in case. Althgouh it's not really needed if it should work in the first place.

that is the exact message Gryphon! And to think Gob wanted me to re-install windows....

I'm using windows 98. What is swap file (I filled up my hardrive the other day with movies to burn, so I'll hve to get rid of them first).

Whew, and to think I was about to e-mail the pro from dover (nyar)....

The swapfile is also known as virtual memeory. Basically it allows your computer to use Hard disk space for memory. If you run out of disk space and memory at the same time this can cause your system to act very badly. I think as a general rule you should always have at least a Gigabyte of disk space set aside for swap space. There is nothing you need to do except not to use that disk space. That way you should never run out.

I got that registry error for no apparent reason. My brother did also.

I thought it was some kind of a virus, because we both had more than 30gb space left on our computers. In the end, we were so bothered that we just reinstalled windows.

Did you clean up the hard drive your SWAP file is on ?

If you havn't got a clue which one that is .. it's probably the C drive. . .

If you havn't got enought for you swap file [ let's say about 400 MB, could be 1 gig in some cases ] Windows can produce errors like the ones you had.

that is the exact message Gryphon! And to think Gob wanted me to re-install windows....

I'm using windows 98. What is swap file (I filled up my hardrive the other day with movies to burn, so I'll hve to get rid of them first).

Whew, and to think I was about to e-mail the pro from dover (nyar)....

Well Mahdi, i do not want to ruin your day, and i'm no registry expert, but as far as i know. To fix this problem you will have to do this, or edit your registry. Since i don't know shit about your comp i can't tell you what to edit, and it's usually quite complex. My friend had it in the past as well, having to restart every time. This problem comes if you don't use uninstall programs. If you have bad luck, and delete a program without uninstalling this can cause a registry error, and that is a realy crappy error, often forcing you to reinstall windows.

Some errors can be fixed by windows itself, but in your case, I don't think that that is possible.

Grtz, Rene Smeitink

This problem comes if you don't use uninstall programs. If you have bad luck, and delete a program without uninstalling this can cause a registry error, and that is a realy crappy error, often forcing you to reinstall windows.

That is what regestry scanners are for ;)

They check your regestry for invalid, old and never used keys, then prompt you if you'd like to delete or possibly repair them. So in most cases, reinstalling Windows should not be the only option. :)

ah ok, that could be true :) . However, in the case of my friends comp, i'm 100% sure that you couldn't fix it, not even if you had a week, his comp was seriously fucked up. He needed like 5 min. to get past all the registry errors during startup