GODDAM control panel doesnt work!!!!

I just upgraded from ME to Xp profesional and certain basic funtions in the control panel cannot be opened. "display", "add/remove programs", "internet options", etc. No matter how I try to open them. Maybe there are run commands I can use to open these programs. If I can't fix it where do I get the run commands. >:(

ok i went to microsft .com nothing in their knowlege base. Also there is no error message. you just click and nothing happens. im trying to solve this without having to do a clean install. is there anyway to open control panel programs without using the control panel?

Well with Home you can't login directly but you get some sort of chat interface and can see the other computer. You might be able to move the mouse... I'm not sure about that though.

With Pro you can use Remote Desktop and login from another machine and its basically like you are using the computer directly.

wha, i have proffesional. handing my comp over to someone i dont know, i dont know about that. Any way i found a way to get around the problem anyway. i use another program to alter my computer settings. the only problem i have now is just the lagginess of the whole thing. any ideas on why programs that didnt lag on me would lag in xp?

XP requires more system resources to run.(I assume) When I upgraded win 98-millenium nothing would work as it was all too slow. So I bought a new computer.

when you upgraded did it format the computer or just overwrite windows? youd be surprised how much faster your computer runs after formatting if you havn't and had lots of programs games file etc.

I think Gryphon mentioned this, but I will repeat it. You really should not upgrade XP from a previous install of Windows ME. You should format the disk or better yet run fdisk and delete the windows partitions and do a fresh install of XP. That way you don't run the risk of some incompatable files carrying over to your XP environment. I am pretty sure with the upgrade version of XP will just prompt you to put your ME full registered disk in to verify that you are eligible to upgrade to XP and you don't need to have ME installed prior to the install of XP.

To answer your question though. I am guessing that the previous OS has old files in the Windows directory that XP does not like. It could also be the file system. I think XP works best with NTFS, but ME uses FAT32 and if you did not create NTFS partitions as part of the install that could cause slowness. I don't know for sure because I am still running Win 98, but I am familiar with the problems involved in upgrading from one OS to another.