(Heroes of) Might and Magic

Cyborg

Have anyone played the perfect Might and Magic games(counting out the 8. and 9...)?

The story of Might and Magic 6 and 7 is just FANTASTIC!

If you haven't played these two games, I stongly reccomend them.

They are quite old, though(from 1998 and 1999 I think). But they are nevertheless maybe the best games I've ever played.

What do the others who have played this game think?

Right now I'm playing M&M8 and I've gotten quiet far, infact I simply go through with out trun based mode on most of the average monsters and keep pressing 'A', and pretty soon the room is cleared.

I have 2 clerics of the sun in my party, a great wyrm and a lich. I've got some pretty decentweapons, but that's only because I've played it part way through once ad knew some secrets. The only reason I have the lich is because I ran through a place past monsters I won't be able to beat for awhile...fun game though.

I've not played M&M7 in awhile, and have been meaning to play it again.

Another one here enjoyed M&M 6 and 7. MM6 was my first foray into the series (discounting HOMM2 and HOMM3). Even though I played MM6 a couple of years after it was released, I still enjoyed in thoroughly. I bought MM7 soon after, and enjoyed it as well. (Though I'll admit I still prefer the Infinity Engine RPGs over the MMs ;D)

I liked MM8 as well, though not as good as MM6 & MM7.

I bought MM9 off the strength of the other games. I have not played it yet, so I dunno if I have made a bad decision :D

Has anyone played any of the pre MM6 Might and Magic games ? I bought the limited edition of MM6 which has the all the older ones on CD.

The Heroes series were one of my fav. fanatsy turn base strategy games (HOMM4 was a bit of a let down for me), but Age of Wonders II has taken over as my fav. fanatsy turn base strategy game :D

I bought MM9 off the strength of the other games. I have not played it yet, so I dunno if I have made a bad decision :D

I bought it on the release day. I must say I didn't like it half as much as the other mm's. It was way more fighting now, not as much magic.

Has anyone played any of the pre MM6 Might and Magic games ? I bought the limited edition of MM6 which has the all the older ones on CD.

I bought something like that too. It was the Millennium Edition. As the name of the package says, it was released around Christmas 1999. I bought it because I had played it at Vidiware's place and thought it was kick ass. When playing the older mm games, I didn't have as much fun as in the 6th and 7th which imo was the best. (to be more specific, I think the 7th was best closely followed by the 6th)

The Heroes series were one of my fav. fanatsy turn base strategy games (HOMM4 was a bit of a let down for me), but Age of Wonders II has taken over as my fav. fanatsy turn base strategy game :D

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was a downer for me too :(. I think I had too high expectations. Anyway, I didn't like the animations in the combatscenes, something which is quite important. The second HMM had the best animations while HMM3 had somewhat worse, but still very good.

As we share the same views on all this, I might want to get Age of Wonders II. How old is it?

How much is it?

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was a downer for me too :(. I think I had too high expectations. Anyway, I didn't like the animations in the combatscenes, something which is quite important. The second HMM had the best animations while HMM3 had somewhat worse, but still very good.

As we share the same views on all this, I might want to get Age of Wonders II. How old is it?

How much is it?

Age of Wonders II: The Wizard Throne was release on the 12th of June 2002. U can get the demo from here. I dunno if it has dropped from a new release price.

The Age of Wonders games errs closer to Master of Magic than the Heroes series.

Not only can u take my word about the game, The Gob also likes the Age of Wonders games more than the Heroes game. ;D

Thanks for the link to the demo, Davo. I'll download it in a second.

I never seem to like the campaigns on the heroes of might and magic games. I only play the games in multiplayer with friends.

I played Heroes III alot. It is a very good balanced game. And nice maps too.

It's sure better then Heroes II. But I doubt Heroes IV will bring something new. It is surely all of the same. I heard some bad things about Heroes IV.

And who else thinks that the battle heroes are dumb, and the magic heroes are good?

I played Heroes III alot. It is a very good balanced game. And nice maps too.

It's sure better then Heroes II. But I doubt Heroes IV will bring something new. It is surely all of the same. I heard some bad things about Heroes IV.

And who else thinks that the battle heroes are dumb, and the magic heroes are good?

The strange about Heroes IV is that it's actually much new.

Even for me who have played that game countless hours, it took some time for me to familiarize with the interface and the new features.

I liked Heroes of Might and Magic 2 better than the 3 in some way and vice versa.

I was very pleased by ability to fight with my hero. In previous ones they were cowardly hidden in a stand giving just some bonuses or magical fire support. And here you can have even more heroes per army, also nobody tells you need more units than just them ;D

I think that hero joining the battle is to increase the power of the Attack and Defense Primary Skills. In Heroes 3 it was much better if you had more Knowledge and especially Spell Power.

I liked it that way, the raw strength was determined by the creatures, and the magical power was defined by the hero

Every side (instead of Might) has one fightning and one magical character. I.e. for Death: Necromancer can raise casualties of both sides to some undead junk and cast various spells in fight, while Death Knight adds offensive and morale stats to other fightning creatures and still can fight. Also you can mix the abilities. There is nothing better than a good Pyromancer with powerful fire spells and command skills and yet a instant Fire Shield as class ability.

You mean that every Castle type has 2 types of heroes? I'm familiar with that.

And there I prefer always the magic hero. Magic Skills are always better. However, I make sure my hero has Attack and Defense skills too

There are 6 sides (Life, Death, Order, Chaos, Nature and Might), each with different castle, units, spells and heroes. You can mix heroes' spells with other side, just you need a skill. Units from opposed side (like when you add imps to fight with angels) have lowered morale. With good Archmage with enough Chaos (flame attacks), Order (Illusion - replicating targets on battlefield) and Death (needed for necromancy, highest make Vampires, what is respectable unit) spells you need no other forces. You will make them in battle, raise their numbers with enemy losses and after battle play with what is left of them by necromancy.