Who here can read Hebrew?

Edric O

As weird as it might seem, this topic actually belongs right here in Gaming, not in General... Because it's about a game: C&C Renegade.

I'm sure everyone who played the Renegade SP campaign knows about that underground cavern beneath the Temple of Nod where you find some sort of tomb, and which Kane calls "the original site of the Brotherhood". Now, I've noticed that the place is full of Hebrew writing (or something that looks a lot like it), and I kept wondering what could it possibly say... Eventually, I decided to ask around, and that's how I came to post this topic.

Here is a screenshot, and I can always take more if you need them.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

I can't read Hebrew, but I can tell you that whatever the walls are supposed to say at the side if in hieroglyphics, they're rubbish.

The picture looks very much like it could be Cain killing Abel. So yes, the origins of the brotherhood sound right.

No, the hieroglyphics are just a common texture. You can even find them in some multiplayer maps. They're not supposed to say anything.

The Hebrew text, on the other hand, can't be found anywhere else.

I'm going to have to look for that tomb. I've played and beat the game, but never saw it.

I've known about this for a while(not the caves). The Bible says Cain went into the land of Nod. Then you think about the name "Nod" and "Cain" the writers had to know something about this....

How to find the tomb: When you go below the Temple to those mutant-filled caves, if you remember, you need to take a tunnel to get out of there. At some point you take a left turn and leave the caves. But you can also go straight ahead through the tunnel, ignoring the way out, and eventually you'll get to the tomb.

Now, if you notice, those two characters in the scene engraved on the wall look a lot like they could be Cain and Abel... Perhaps this is Abel's grave?

:O :O :O

The Tomb of Abel!

Thank you, Duke and Acriku! But, Duke, how exactly does it say "God"? Is it "Elohim" (The Lord)? And do you notice anything un-Bible-like? Any word that would hint at tiberium or the Scrin?

There is some writing on the top of the sarcophagus as well. Here is a screenshot of it.

(the same thing is written 3 times)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

:O :O :O

The Tomb of Abel!

Thank you, Duke and Acriku! But, Duke, how exactly does it say "God"? Is it "Elohim" (The Lord)? And do you notice anything un-Bible-like? Any word that would hint at tiberium or the Scrin?

There is some writing on the top of the sarcophagus as well. Here is a screenshot of it.

(the same thing is written 3 times)

It says IHWH (iud-he-vav-he) commonly misnamed as Jehova, that is why i wrote

Well, thanks guys! We finally got this mystery solved. :)

I wonder if WW intended to expand on this Cain-Kane connection... I guess now we'll never know.

according to planetcnc it is. Kane is a more modern name of Cain they said. Also in Tiberian dawn Kane used some phrases from the bible

As weird as it might seem, this topic actually belongs right here in Gaming, not in General... Because it's about a game: C&C Renegade.

I'm sure everyone who played the Renegade SP campaign knows about that underground cavern beneath the Temple of Nod where you find some sort of tomb, and which Kane calls "the original site of the Brotherhood". Now, I've noticed that the place is full of Hebrew writing (or something that looks a lot like it), and I kept wondering what could it possibly say... Eventually, I decided to ask around, and that's how I came to post this topic.

Here is a screenshot, and I can always take more if you need them.

I can't translate Hebrew except for a few words and I need vowels in order to read it.

The only thing I can tell is that the last word (the word all the way to the left) on the second line is g-d's name. Nobody is supposed to try to pronounce it, and it is read as "adonai."

It seems this problem has likely been solved, but I'll add something.

Acriku's description seems accurate from what I know, but I'm not an expert. Although, I find it highly unlikely that that the game's designer's would look up Hebrew symbols and not bother to give a real meaning/