My questions

I would like to find out something.WHat happens if I accidentally touch my CD drive lens and it cant work now?Cos it really happened.When I have a desktop/laptop in front of me,I m always jinxed,either my relatives,friends or I will spoil it.......LOL

Please read this!

You could try cleaning the lens ::) . Seriously though, what kind of question is this? Obviously if it stopped working after you touched the lens, then the lens is probably scratched or dirty. If it's scratched you will need a new drive and if it's dirty you need to get out the lens cleaning kit.

I have no idea for a laptop. I think you are stuck with the vendor that makes your laptop. If you still want help with this issue please start a new thread since we are going off topic for this thread with these posts.

ummmm techno NERDS,how much is an average new CD drive sold for?

The word nerd refer to a socially unsuccessful and unattractive person who often is very interested in science and/or other technical subjects.

Do you have to be that to know the common prices of a cddrive? ::)

You mean a CD from an audio set to play audio CD's ?

Technically, the laser is capable of reading them I suppose, just at a speed of 1 when you use the player itself. But then the coding comes in. A audio only CD player isn't gon'na read any data CDrom you place in it. In fact, the data CDrom might even damage the player. And then there would be the problem of adjusting your tullip audio cables to fit a IDE connector. . ..

So in short, no change in the world you'll be able to pull that off without some serious engenering.

Unfortunately there are no specs for CDROM devices in the Direct X output. You could go into the control panel and double click on system and select the "Device manager" tab. From that tab you should see an entry for CDROM at the top. Select that folder and you should see something like this:

[*** image link deleted by number6 ***]

That should let you know what brand CDROM drive you have in your laptop.

$35 Euro?

Hehehe, please keep to one currency.

The price is in dollars(do you see the $ in front of the numbers? Yep, that means dollars ;))

However, dollars are quite close to euro, so you could say approximately 35 euro too.

Think it's the consistancy of reading data from your disks will be an aspect of it, just as possible support with consisting hardware and software. Although a lot of "low budget" cdrom drives are probbably made by the same factory as the "high tech" ones. If you stick with a regular brand that's not to expencieve I don't think you will encounter any problems.