Hardware news !!

• 2 weeks later...

The Athlon XP3200+, a Paper Tiger. The new Athlon XP3200+ with dual DDR400 ram. At first glance heavy competition for the Intel i875p chipset with 800FSB. As the title says, in comparison tests the Athlon is just a paper tiger.

Nvidia users enjoy, the NV35 is on it's way. In some tests, the FX 5900 (NV35) beats the Radeon 9800 PRO 256 mb with 23% (at 1600 x 1200) !!! Part of the conclusion:

"Now, the FX 5900 is able to outpace the Radeon 9800 PRO in all relevant benchmarks and can reclaim the performance throne for NVIDIA."

"Power users and enthusiasts will have a hard time finding a better alternative."

Small update on RAM.

When you buy a new PC, or just want to upgrade your motherboard/processor and ram, make sure that when you choose your ram, you ask for ram with CL (CAS Latency) 2 or 2.5. This ensures that you have the fastest interaction with memory. Cheaper memory will usually come with CL 3, which will drop the performance of the system.

So make sure you ask for the faster memory with CL 2 or 2.5 !

• 3 weeks later...

* ATi has released the 9800 with 256 mb. Performance gain ? You have to find out yourself. A good reference will also be the article I posted earlier about the Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. The new ATi was already included in that test. If you're an ATi fan, don't get your hopes up though ;)

* Several boards have been tested with the new nForce2 chipset (for AMD processors). So if you're about to buy one, make sure you read this test !

* Intel has released also lower processors (2.4, 2.6, and 2.8Ghz) with 800FSB. This should bring power closer to people, as you now don't just have to buy the 3.06Ghz, to take full advantage of the new Intel 875 and 865 chipsets. Read more here.

Well, take a look at the test in this article. Then look at how the GeForce Ti4600 performs against the 9700 (which is AGP 8x). You'll see that out of the 4 tests, it wins two.

Just because they called it AGP 8, doesn't mean it's twice as fast in reality then AGP 4x. Sure, AGP 8x may be better in the end, but for the time being AGP 4x functions very well.

How a card performs also has a lot to do with the system itself. If you have a low end system, the card won't bring that much extra. The prove of that is with my new system, which still holds my old GeForce 3. The extra FPS I got in Renegade increased a lot, much more then I expected. (it went from maximum of 35, to a minimum of 83).

Remember, though, that Radeon 9700 is optimized for games using DirectX9. (until recently)It has the same amount of Video Memory, but maybe a tiny bit faster processor(aswell as twice as many redering pipelines). Smartshader 2.0 and Pixelshader 2.0 isn't used much yet.

When Doom3 comes out, we can get some decent test results ;D

Toms Hardware has already done card benchmarks on Doom3, but that was a quite early version.

Click here to see the difference between the cards.

When Doom3 comes out, we can get some decent test results ;D

Toms Hardware has already done card benchmarks on Doom3, but that was a quite early version.

If it's the same version as we have had I'm supprised and delighted they could get a benchmark from it. We tried it just after E3 last year and the grafics didn't work on the system we tested it on. After we changed some settings there was something secognisable as a picutre though still not all that good to run a benchmark of. But I have to admit it was just a standerd GF4 grafics card we used it on so if would mainly have been our fault. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Doc,

Don't you have Aldi shops in holland ?

At the end of October Aldi are bringing out there newest P.C. from Medion.

I think maybe you should wait before you buy another P.C. because this new one will impress you, especially if you like Intel P4's.

The spec is amazing and the price is even more amazing:

please don't ask me how I know, I just do !

A.M.

Hi Doc,

Don't you have Aldi shops in holland ?

At the end of October Aldi are bringing out there newest P.C. from Medion.

I think maybe you should wait before you buy another P.C. because this new one will impress you, especially if you like Intel P4's.

The spec is amazing and the price is even more amazing:

please don't ask me how I know, I just do !

A.M.

Thanks for the info, but I'd prefer to build my own pc (look at the How to build your own pc thread. I know Aldi and I do not like their pc's. The specs may look good, but they ain't good at all. If your a pc "freak" like me, you look behind what they advertise today. My current system is as fast as an Intel can be with my hardware, you can't buy that from the Alsi. They should stick to food only and stay away from the pc market IMO..

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. Doc,

I apreciate what your saying, but for people on a limited financial budget, Aldi's prices are unbeatable !

I recently bought A TV Tuner card with the latest Philips chipset for 30 English pounds.

That's 49 pounds cheaper than from pc world etc !

I know that. What I stated up there was my personal opinion in yoru response to wait to buy my new pc :)

Hey Doc,

if you were building me PC what would you recommend ?

I've got about 800 English pounds to spend.I have a CD-R Rom and a CD ROM so I wouldn't need them.

and 512mB SDRAM although this would probably be redundant.

could you build me one ?

I'm fed up with my present PC and all it's problems. lol

• 7 months later...

Let's revive this thread a bit with shocking news (well, for ATi fanatics anyways ;D):

The Nvidia GeForce FX 6800... Let me quote a few words, as I still haven't picked my jaw from the floor...

12.000 points in 3DMark 2003. A score of over 60.000 in AquaMark 3. Over 60fps in Halo at 1600x1200 and more than 50fps in FarCry with High FSAA and 4tap anisotropic filtering at 1024x768 - these are numbers that will bring tears of joy to PC enthusiasts everywhere.

In the higher resolutions, the card is more than twice as fast as the competition. At first we thought this might be an error in measurement. After several identical runs, we were able to rule out this possibility....

These results literally left us speechless. If ever we doubted the accuracy of our measurements, this was it. Call of Duty, on the other hand, insists: The results are valid! Compared to the GeForce 6800 Ultra, both the Radeon 9800XT and the FX 5950 Ultra look like outdated toys from the last century.

• 2 weeks later...