C & C generals - BIG PROBLEM!

ok i wont be here for long but you guys must help me!:

i got new computer (not this one) and CC Generals.. but when i start the game it is sooooo slooooowwwwwww and i dont know why!?

computer:

AMD Athlon 2000+ ~1666mhz

RAM 256

Windows XP Pro

GeForce 2 mx/400 64 mg

ok and my friend here has this:

Intel Pentium IV ~1700 mhz

RAM 254

Win 98

GeForce 2 mx/400 64 mg

and in his computer it works perfect on high grafix when in my computer in the lowest grafix it works slow... what can it be? help plz!

oh and 1 more thing: whats better: AMD/Pentium?

Guest Eric E.

ok i wont be here for long but you guys must help me!:

i got new computer (not this one) and CC Generals.. but when i start the game it is sooooo slooooowwwwwww and i dont know why!?

computer:

AMD Athlon 2000+ ~1666mhz

RAM 256

Windows XP Pro

GeForce 2 mx/400 64 mg

ok and my friend here has this:

Intel Pentium IV ~1700 mhz

RAM 254

Win 98

GeForce 2 mx/400 64 mg

and in his computer it works perfect on high grafix when in my computer in the lowest grafix it works slow... what can it be? help plz!

oh and 1 more thing: whats better: AMD/Pentium?

Hello,

First of all, it could be a memory problem: Generals likes to swollow Ram. Have you tried closing everything at the background? If not, try doing so, If there is a small diffrence in speed.. You need more ram! (which i doubt).

''oh and 1 more thing: whats better: AMD/Pentium?''

Pentium.

First, make shure there arn't any programm's running in the background. Like a virusscanner, firewall, another game, wordpad you get the point, close all running programms not required to play Generals. If that still doens't help, lower your videosetting, you have probably tried that so we'll move on to the next part.

Have you got updated VIA chipset and grafics driver ?

If not, try to update them and mayby an install of DirectX9 after that.

When you need more help, could you attach a copy of your DirectX diag-file ? It would be a great help.

About Intel vs AMD. Like the Doc mentioned in Hardware News, it's a matter of personall opinion. AMD motherboard can have some problems with VIA chipsets. So try to avoid those. They both have advantages for some applications, so it's more of choising the one that's best for your needs, combined with any personall preferances if you should have those.

I prefer a dual Intel system myself [ single Intel is ok to for that matter ;) ], but that's personall, most of the people I know have a AMD and it's works fine with them. I would say it's strickly a matter of personall choice.

[ comparing an Intel P4 to AMD XP ]

i cant download direct x9 coz i dont have internet in my newer computer and yes my drivers are the latest (43.45) and i cant transfer the boostxp file without a disk (which i dont have right now :() and does it have to do anything with the windows?

so, have you tried shutting down background processes yet... programs in your taskbar.

Also make sure you have the latest video drivers for your Geforce 2 mx graphix card.

and about intel vs. AMD. It doesn't make much of a difference. the pentium 4 2.8 is almost equal (a little bit faster) to the AMD XP 2800+ . Especially in the past, AMD was much cheaper, but often it was slower than it's intel counterpart. however, when the Athlon was released, AMD came up with a very fast processor at low price, so Intel was forced to lower their prices as well

yes i tryed it all... i disabled it all and lowered the textures to the lowest level and still soooo sloowwww.. oh but iv sent the computer to repair and improve.. they are about to cehck thing out and fix it.. i hope things wll be ok with the time..

Ok, could you let us know if it works better when you get her back, and if possible what was causing the lagg ? :)

hehe.. how the hell did you know i threat my computer as if he was my girlfreind ;D

OK, now, it's not the card. My old GeForce 2 MX400 (I got a brand-new GeForce 4 Ti4200 card today. Happy! ;D) ran it fine.

Try adding this to the command line (right-click on the icon, select properties, go to "Target", add a space after the quotes, and paste this):

-nologo -noshellmap -RunAhead -preloadEverything -noFPSLimit -quickstart -benchmark

That made mine run like the wind. :O

"nologo" -like it sounds, skips all opening sequences

"noshellmap" -turns off hte animated shellmap, replacing it with a still image

"RunAhead" -not sure, something to do with increasing read-ahead capacity

"preloadEverything" -loads all menues, unit stats, etc. on startup, allowing for faster loading in game

"noFPSLimit" -removes the limit on Frames Per Second (FPS), normally capped at 60, allowing it to run at whatever your machine can handle

"quickstart" -disable postload wait (while you just watch stuff go by in the shellmap. Even if "noshellmap" is set, this wait time still occurs without this command.)

"benchmark" -adds a "benchmark.ini" file to your Generals directory; future load data is retrieved from here rather than the CD or profiles.

Obviously, since multiplayer must run at the speed of the slowest comp in the game, it's moost if your opponents don't set the same things.