Dune, Star Wars, and God

Mahdi

The Cyber Reviews, a christian website, has up an editorial article discussing not only the theory that Star Wars stole its story from Dune, but also that both of them are based on the Messianic beliefs in the Judeo-Christian religions, and have no basis in the New Age or Eastern philosophies. It's an interesting, although short read, especially for anyone who enjoys the religious aspects of Dune and/or Star Wars. To read the full article, click here.

If you are interested in the Dune/Star Wars controversy, I suggest you check out another article that can be found here.

Thanks to Storm Tango for the heads up.

I have seen this comparison before. There have also been comparisons made between Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. Lucas has borrowed heavily from many scifi/fantasy stories in making Star Wars. Obviously Star Wars has none of the depth that inspired it and really should not be compared to such great pieces of literature.

I have also heard about LOTR being compared to Christianity. There is even a book I believe the name is 'Finding God (Christ) in LOTR'.

There is a site with a review about it, the book, the movie, the guy that wrote LOTR and a fellow professor. You might be surprised after reading it ;). Like how Tolkien books are Christian Faith based and the he was the one who helped Lewis (the author of the book Finding God in LOTR) take the decisive step toward faith in Christ. :O No, did you just read that right? Here you thought the book was just about wizards and orks and elves and dwarfs and stuff ;).

Is this thread going to get moved to the PR&P Forum? I'm interested in what some of those guys might think about Finding God in LOTR ;D

EDIT-

according to Acriku the link is broken I checked it and the whole site is down right now...

I have also heard about LOTR being compared to Christianity. There is even a book I believe the name is 'Finding God (Christ) in LOTR'.

There is a site with a review about it, the book, the movie, the guy that wrote LOTR and a fellow professor. You might be surprised after reading it ;). Like how Tolkien books are Christian Faith based and the he was the one who helped Lewis (the author of the book Finding God in LOTR) take the decisive step toward faith in Christ. :O No, did you just read that right? Here you thought the book was just about wizards and orks and elves and dwarfs and stuff ;).

All hail Iluvatar! ;D

Focus on the Family is a Christian Faith Orgination. They play on the Christain radio station down here. I remember hearing the program and figured their site would have something about it. I am also sure you can find more information about the book at Booksites, I just didn't feel like hunting around when I knew Where I could find one. [hide]Maybe I can find a copy of the book online[/hide]

wtf are you talking about dude?

you have that all backwards

Tolkien did not turn Lewis into a Christian. Rather, Lewis turned Tolkien into a Christian. the info you stated here is all totally incorrect

btw Tolkien was a Christan but the LOTR books glorify Paganism, which is an affront punishable by execution according to the Bible

It is a well known fact that Tolkien was a very religeous man and the spirit of the LOTR is the struggle between good and evil. I did not see any paganism in the books. Of course I would not know what paganism is to see it in the first place. I think people try to find a lot of hidden meaning in the works of Tolkien, but I enjoy the LOTR as the epic story he intended it to be. Of course some of his personal feelings and views are going to be in the book, but that I think is accidental.

According to Tolkien

"The Lord of the Rings, is of course a fundamentally religious and Christian work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision."

He wanted to tell an epic story that in the roots of it was the Real Story

Just as a word is an invention about an object or an idea, so a story can be an invention about Truth."

The Christian story is the greatest story of them all. Because it's the Real Story. The historical event that fulfills the tales and shows us what they mean.

To me it seems not so much accidental more rather it was his intention.