Another problem... (not with Emperor)

Every time I play a game, I press "ctrl + alt+ del" to close all other programs.

But today I made it and I closed the first program and it says "shutting down..." but instead of closing the program, my computer freezes. I tried it a lot of times, closing differents programs every time, but it still freezing.

Maybe is a virus, but Norton doesn`t detect it!!

When you close the programms, are you terminating them in the applications tab or the processes tab ?

If in the processes tab, does if freeze every time after you randonly kill one of the processes or after you have randomly closed several of them ?

If you close explorer itself I thought '98 would crash.

'98 also had a few problems with "powertray", or "pwrtry" if that's the correct programm. If you use it and havn't patched it windows could be unstable when you closed it, or when the programm was needed.

I'm gon'na look into '98 again as it has been a while. .. have you always closed all the programm's in that list when you played a game or started doing that resently ?

Do you by any change have a copy of Norton Internet security installed on it ?

Have you ever used a programm called "sfc.exe" You can run it from the start - run option in Win '98. It can check if any of your system files have been altered or damaged. You could run it and see if it indicates a changen in any of your system files, of with a little luck [ in this case ] a damaged file.

we all do gerbilpoo, and thanks for the trust in the new MOD's :- . Just glad to see he's still helping out here

This sounds as the most stupid solution you probably have heard. . .but it only happends when you close down other programms before you want to play a game ?

So if you don't preform that action, Win'98 won't freeze up ?

Do you have enought system resouces to play games if you don't close down other programms ?

Don't know which programms you close down, but if you'd close explorer for one, windows will freeze, same with win32.exe or rundll [ thought the last one would work to, not shure though ]. That's not unusual.

I wouldn't close all programms in that list. Just the one you know to be non-Windows programms that need to be closed.

If you like you could try to update [ or upgrade ] to Internet Explorer 6, if there is a small problem with your Windows interface it could fix that.

Windows '98 is know for it's problem with shutting down propperly, and althought this is usually a drivers problem or a setting that's wrong in your "shutdown options". As your problem is not directly related to shutting down Windows, mayby a quick look at any new driver versions couldn't do any harm. If you like help searching you can upload a DirectX file in your next post.

There are newer NVidia out there, and I bet there is one for your sound card to. . although I failed to find the specific card you have in your system. [ could you look it up under the second tab [ device manager ] when you right-click local computer ? ]

Usually it's the other way around, people are more content with Win'98 SE then just '98. Did you use Norton on the '98 OS to or just recently on 98 SE ?

Updating IE didn't help anything I presume ?

I use the original Windows 98 and have no problems. All I thought the SE version had different is all the updates needed to get Windows 98 more stable and you can download those off the internet through Microsoft Update. I will continue to use Windows 98 until I find a need to go to XP. Actually, by the time I will have a need to upgrade XP will be replaced by the newest OS from MS and I will probably keep my Win 98 machines for games and go to Linux for Internet/productivity.

If Microsoft won't have intergrated UNIX system's in such a way that there is no basicall differance between Linux and Windows anymore :-

I'm not an real XP user myself. It's a weird sub-product between Win2K and Windows 2003 server. [ or more known as the .net OS ]. As the .net systems have the stabilety of 2K combined with the easy user interfase [ *caugh* ] of XP. Just not all those wierd styles you never asked for.

The only difference between '98 and '98 SE is stabilety as Number6 mentioned [ I thought ]. Just as the WinXP SP1, you didn't have to get SP1 if you downloaded all the individual updates prior to the release of it. [ no need to find a crack fot the SP1 update to ;) ]. Same with '98 and '98 SE, if you downloaded th eupdates, no need to get '98 SE.

Did you update '98 before, or just stood with the origionall install ?