Chemistry question

Vanguard3000

I'm writing a short story, and I need to know one thing. Well, I need to know many things, but I do know most of them already. Anyway, would gold block x-rays in the same way as lead? Both are extremely dense, and I know one of the great chemists (Dalton?) fired alpha particles at gold foil, and only some got through, but I'm not 100% sure about this. Thanks in advance.

Any material can block any radiation, if it's thick enough. But the denser the material, the less thick it needs to be in order to block radiation.

So to answer your question: Yes, you can block x-rays with gold, but the gold slab needs to be slightly thicker than if it was made out of lead. (because gold is slightly lighter than lead)

Actually, Gold is a lot more effective than lead in blocking photon particles. Its just an extremely expensive and rare ore. hehe I learned that in physics class. :D corny smile. lol

LOL!

Anyway, stay tuned. I'm having some trouble working out my plot, but I'll give you guys two tidbit of information:

1) The story will be loosely based on the System Shock games. Namely, SS2. If you haven't already played these games, I highly recommend it, as they have amazing storylines.

B) I'm trying a wierd way of writing it, so it's either going to turn out really nicely, or it's gonna blow like Zephyrus. ;)