Would anyone MOD for my game?

stefanhendriks

(that means, i will try to make an ini editor, just to see if i can manage to make 1)

The rtf textbox is going to kill you!!! >:(

When you write your own rich textbox code, it formates it the way it want even though you tell it to behave in a specific way!

I have managed to get the file colored instantly a few days ago. I have been quite busy now, but expect an update in less than a week.

Doing an arrakis mod huh?.... ::) Well, i already wondered why i had an "arrakis" folder... ;)

Yes, i do try to mod Arrakis so i have 2 in one! :D It should be an Arrakis, but updated aswell since the new engine is able of handling way bigger maps (2x as big).

Anyhow, for the moment do not expect an Arrakis release. Oh, and i will post up a new website asap. I will upload the old one for now so you can still download Arrakis if you want to.

@Cyborg

Tried your editor, instant coloring-> NICE! Going to use it definatly! Maybe if you have a 'ready to release' version i could deliver it with any package whenever i want to release a new version of my game?

As you can see, the coloring system color the code like this:

(I hope I have understood the format correctly)

['name'] = A class/header

['name: something'] = a sub

'something=something' = a codeline

; = a comment

If this i correct, I will implement a button to add a sub in any of all the classes that exist in the file.

example:

[bULLET: Normal Rocket]

Bitmap=bitmap.bmp

Sound=sound.wav

BitmapWidth=16

BitmapFrames=1

BitmapExplFrames=4

Damage=76

; How to define it in this INI file for UNITS?

Definition=MEDIUM_ROCKET

The editor will find all the 'something=something' until next class or sub and give you textboxes to fill inn values after the '='.

I hope you understood that ;D

Please tell me if I'm doing this wrong or if you want any new type of code colored :)

correct! :)

One thing you might add:

Definition=<some definition made>

Any definition should be made before a 'Definition=' could find one. So you could try to let the editor check on this. If a definition is called, and the name is not found, then it could color red, else just the normal color?

I see.

You mean:

[TERRAIN: wall]

Buildable=FALSE

Passable=PASSABLE_AIR

IsWall=TRUE

IsShroud=FALSE

Smooth=TRUE

Credits=0

SpeedUp=0

SpeedDown=0

Definition=WALL

You need to make a sub with the definitionname before you can define it?

its a bit different

[TERRAIN: rock]
Buildable=TRUE
Passable=PASSABLE_ALL
IsWall=FALSE
IsShroud=FALSE
Smooth=TRUE
Credits=0
SpeedUp=1
SpeedDown=0
Definition=ROCK

The [Anything: <here is text, BUT NOT A DEFINITION>] is not a definition. It is only for the ini editor. This would also work in this case

[TERRAIN:x]

Terrains are not refered to yet, i did put up the definition tag in this so i can refer to it for loading/saving. So even when you add a terrain type you should be able to load old maps which do NOT use the new terrain types. Anyhow, this is not the issue. What i actually mean is the relationship between BULLETS and UNITS for example:

[BULLET: Quad Dot]
Bitmap=bitmapbulletsSmallDot.bmp
Sound=soundweaponmachineGun.wav
BitmapWidth=3
BitmapFrames=0
BitmapExplFrames=0
Damage=6
; How to define it in this INI file for UNITS?
Definition=QUAD_DOT

this quad bullet is used by the QUAD..

[UNIT: Quad]
;BitmapTop= NOT USED
Bitmap=bitmapunitUnit_Quad.bmp
BitmapWidth=16
BitmapHeight=16
BitmapFrames=0
BitmapStartPixel=0
HitPoints=130
MoveSpeed=1
TurnSpeed=2
AttackFrequency=6

; Above bullet type
BulletType=QUAD_DOT

MaxBullets=
MoveType=
Sight=4
Range=3
Icon=bitmapiconuniticon_quad.bmp
Cost=150
IsAirborn=FALSE
IsInfantry=FALSE
FreeRoam=FALSE
AbleToCarry=FALSE
SecondShot=TRUE
Description=Quad

The difference is, in some sections you DEFINE something using the Definition key, and in some sections you REFER to it. This will make it hard for the editor i guess.

I suggest you assume it defines something , unless in the UNITS/STRUCTURES section. These refer to bullets. I.e. for structures i will need the definition tag to know which bullet is used for a specific turret.

BTW, in the [TEAMS] class in the ini file, the teams are listed as individual classes([Harkonnen]), not as subs [TEAMS:Harkonnen].

Why is it like that?

At first i wanted new 'teams' be defined just by reading an unkown []. However, this seems to be hard to realize later when adding new sections. So , i will change these in [TEAM:]. I need to update the code and the ini file for this. Thanks for mentioning :)

[edit]

FIXED. New INI file attached.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Do you have to define something in the ini file BEFORE you use it or doesn't it matter where the define and referring code is?

Like:

Can the [uNIT:Quad] refer to something that is defined longer down in the inifile?

I just have to clear this up, because my editor reads the file and format the text from top to bottom.

my ini loader in the game also reads from top to bottom. So yes, you need to define something first before you can refer to it.

You can do:

[BULLET: bla]
Definition=BLA

[UNIT: bla]
BulletType=BLA

but you cannot do:

[UNIT: bla]
BulletType=BLA

[BULLET: bla]
Definition=BLA

Note:

In BULLET there you use 'DEFINITION' to define the bullet.

In UNIT you use BULLETTYPE to read a Defined bullet.

A little plan i have , but not yet coded. In UNIT you should have DEFINITION aswell for each unit. This will allow you to get units delivered on a placement of a structure (i.e. the harvester).

So in theory this should be:

[UNIT: Harvester]
Definition=HARVESTER

[STRUCTURE: Refinery]
DeliverUnit=HARVESTER

The "definition" key tag always registers the name of the specific type in its type list (so you can define a bullet as 'harvester' and still be sure that whenever you refer to it in the UNIT section, your unit will not shoot harvesters ;)).

The 'refer' key tags are mostly:

BulletType

DeliverUnit (in this example)

that kind of stuff.

I have fixed my editor now so it colors all definitions.

It also colors all referances a special color IF a defninition that matches the text after the "=" has been declared.

Before an update I will fix so that if you create a sub with a name that does not fit a class it will think of it as an error.

Please choose between two behaviorical choices:

* When you write ['something'] you start a class.

When you write another ['something'] you end the last class and start a new one.

If you make a ['something':'something'] and the class you refer to is not the current one, it will be colored red

* If you make a ['something':'something'] and the class you refer to does not exist anywhere in the file, it will be colored red

[CLASS: something] should never turn red as it is not of importance. The 'something' after the : is just for the one who is editin the ini file (for easy reading purposes).

Only when the 'definition' keyword is used it is defining something.

So, in fact the only thing that should turn red when it cannot find a definition is BulletType for now.

BulletType should search for a BULLET which is defined. If it aint there, it should turn red. Simple ;)

Whenever BulletType is NOT given, the unit will simply not shoot. So, if you don't want a unit to shoot, simply do not specify a BulletType. If you do specify BulletType but do not give a (valid) name, it should turn red. As your editor already does btw :)

That means that bullettype ALWAYS has to refer to a definition?

I can easily implement that.

But for now it just turns into a normal codeline(brown) when the text after "=" doesn't match any of the definitions in the file.

definition stuff works! But there is a nasty bug!

originally a piece of game.ini:

; Mouse bitmap data
[MOUSE]
Normal=mouseMS_Normal.bmp
Attack=mouseMS_Attack.bmp
Move=mouseMS_Move.bmp
Deploy=mouseMS_Deploy.bmp
CannotMove=mouseMS_Nomove.bmp

BUT, when i load the game.ini with your editor , it will load this:

; Mouse bitmap data
[MOUSE]
Normal=mouse_Normal.bmp
Attack=mouse_Attack.bmp
Move=mouse_Move.bmp
Deploy=mouse_Deploy.bmp
CannotMove=mouse_Nomove.bmp

I don't know why it does this, but it seems to remove lots of stuff of my directory and such. Lucky i had a backup, because it screwed my entire game.ini, made my game crash.. :(

anyway, there is definatly some progress, keep up the good work! :)

I have uploaded a new version of my ini editor. This time it includes bug fix for the bug Stefan mentioned today(the stupid rich textbox which uses a weird language assumed your '' was the start of a codetag...).

Also in this update is a sub/class creation tool.(will hopefully reduce the time Stefan and others use to write code... :))