Omni re: Generals vs EBFD

ProcyonB

After spending the last 5 days playing 10 - 12 hours/day, I can say that it is no contest : Generals blows EBFD out of the water ... er ... sand.

First the UGLY: If your comp isn't; 1.8ghz or better with 256m+ ram and a GeForce3 or 4 grfx card (64m) AND you have DSL or better connection don't bother, because the game will be slow, laggy and have cheezy graphics. Also, if you don't have a GeForce 3 or 4 then there is a very good chance there will be problems in game (flickering units, invisible buildings, things like that).

The BAD: The initial chatroom can get laggy when there are a few hundred people all chatting at once. It was a stupid interface design decision. However, EA has already released to auto-download patches that have corrected most of the problem.

The Good: This is easily the most realistic war game since the original Tac-Ops (though I haven't seen Real War). The graphics (given that you have a decent computer) are better than anything out there. The units are well rounded, and the sides are well balanced. I have played 27 online games under different names and have won 8 with the US, 7 with China, and 11 with the GLA (I lost my first game due to my graphics card not being fully supported -- all the tank units were invisible to me so I couldn't do jack).

The level of unit-detail is amazing. One example (and there are many) was in a 2v2 game where Tracxm and I were teamed up. Trac was China and I was GLA. early into the midgame Trac had amassed a decent tank Army and attacked a GLA base. The GLA player was turtling and had built up a series of underground tunnels and Stinger bunkers, and mixed in a few Technicals and rpg troops. This defense line completely bogged down Tracs assault. While I was engaging a US attacker and couldn't spare any of my main-assault forces to help him, I did send one of my snipers (KJ) to a hill overlooking the valley battlefield trac and the GLA defender were fighting over. Using my sniper I spent the next 3 minutes picking off all the crewmen in the Stinger bunkers and all the anti-tank troopers, and then Trac was able to just roll right into the GLA base and destroy it.

So as that recount shows: Generals is not a game for turtles, attention to detail can win the game, strategy is everything (Generals is a true RTS, whereas Emp is just an RTT (Real Time Tactical), combined arms is usually needed to win (tanks without troops mixed in can get bogged down, troops without armor support will get run down or picked off, and without air support both can get creamed by a smart/tricky opponent -- the US player was destroying my Technicals and Scorpion tanks with constant air bombardment until I got AA up).

Also, there are as many viable strategies as there are people to create them, and playing the game like chess (think 10 moves ahead) is a good thing to do.

So, as some may have noticed, I don't play Emp anymore. Papa's got a brand new bag. Ah! And I feeeeeeel good. :)

ive been playing generals for 3 days now and ive gotta say its 1 of best games ive ever played and i think its got potential to be an all time great, it seriously is gonna be huge once they get clans n ladders up next week, what an amazing game, and u know the best bit? support... mods on lobbies lots of diff 1s who give out information etc and they r patching the game constantly... something i aint seen for a long long time in a c n c game

And so the Mighty Emperor Falls, ditched without even looking back a single time.. :'(

All that has been said about the Evilness of EA is forgotten by the next eyecatching game. Funny to see how easily people are beeing satisfied with a new toy lol

Isn't it sad :-

Doom, life is change. Nothing stays the same. Better games will come out as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow. Give it a year or so, and there very well may be a much better game than Generals. Give it two years, and no doubt there will be a much better game. This is a very expensive hobby we have--computer gaming. It is constantly progressing and demands ever better systems to run next generation games.

Emperor has provided me with more fun than any other game for over a year and a half. I paid forty dollars for it, but it was easily worth four hundred dollars.

Right now, I'm getting my ass kicked in Generals. I am 4 and 12. But the game is awesome. There are a few bugs with multiplayer, and it is a very damanding, graphics-intensive game. I'll still play Emperor, but for now I'm having a hell of a time with my new "toy." I hope when I play Emperor there are plenty of games and some old friends online, but I don't count on it. The only people I still have contact with regularly from Emperor are Tenfor, Evelded, and Sagedoc, my M3T4L clanmates, but I miss a lot of my online Emperor buddies. Anyway, although EA has no reason to keep the Emperor server up now that Westwood has been incorporated into EA, and they've shut down the ladders, the game is still a lot of fun. I hope to see some of you online in both Emperor and Generals. Check me out in Generals. My name is H4CKS4W. I suck, and I'm not ashamed to say so. LOL. Later, buds. :)

After spending the last 5 days playing 10 - 12 hours/day, I can say that it is no contest : Generals blows EBFD out of the water ... er ... sand.

First the UGLY: If your comp isn't; 1.8ghz or better with 256m+ ram and a GeForce3 or 4 grfx card (64m) AND you have DSL or better connection don't bother, because the game will be slow, laggy and have cheezy graphics. Also, if you don't have a GeForce 3 or 4 then there is a very good chance there will be problems in game (flickering units, invisible buildings, things like that).

The BAD: The initial chatroom can get laggy when there are a few hundred people all chatting at once. It was a stupid interface design decision. However, EA has already released to auto-download patches that have corrected most of the problem.

The Good: This is easily the most realistic war game since the original Tac-Ops (though I haven't seen Real War). The graphics (given that you have a decent computer) are better than anything out there. The units are well rounded, and the sides are well balanced. I have played 27 online games under different names and have won 8 with the US, 7 with China, and 11 with the GLA (I lost my first game due to my graphics card not being fully supported -- all the tank units were invisible to me so I couldn't do jack).

The level of unit-detail is amazing. One example (and there are many) was in a 2v2 game where Tracxm and I were teamed up. Trac was China and I was GLA. early into the midgame Trac had amassed a decent tank Army and attacked a GLA base. The GLA player was turtling and had built up a series of underground tunnels and Stinger bunkers, and mixed in a few Technicals and rpg troops. This defense line completely bogged down Tracs assault. While I was engaging a US attacker and couldn't spare any of my main-assault forces to help him, I did send one of my snipers (KJ) to a hill overlooking the valley battlefield trac and the GLA defender were fighting over. Using my sniper I spent the next 3 minutes picking off all the crewmen in the Stinger bunkers and all the anti-tank troopers, and then Trac was able to just roll right into the GLA base and destroy it.

So as that recount shows: Generals is not a game for turtles, attention to detail can win the game, strategy is everything (Generals is a true RTS, whereas Emp is just an RTT (Real Time Tactical), combined arms is usually needed to win (tanks without troops mixed in can get bogged down, troops without armor support will get run down or picked off, and without air support both can get creamed by a smart/tricky opponent -- the US player was destroying my Technicals and Scorpion tanks with constant air bombardment until I got AA up).

Also, there are as many viable strategies as there are people to create them, and playing the game like chess (think 10 moves ahead) is a good thing to do.

So, as some may have noticed, I don't play Emp anymore. Papa's got a brand new bag. Ah! And I feeeeeeel good. :)

u can play online...

I can't...gona take back the cd if it ain't solved soon.

Doom, you are taking it too personally. Generals is a better game than EBFD. In a couple years, as was pointed out, there will be a better game than Generals.

EBFD was a lot of fun for nearly 2 years -- what more can you ask of a RTS/RTT game than that? Personally though, it was starting to get stale. Once a game gets to the point where the same bo / strat works every time, and any variation or deviation from the standard = a loss, it is time to move on.

Taqwa, if you see me add me to your buddy list and I will accept. I am under the same name as I use in all online games -- ProcyonB. Also tracxm is on under his name, and sendakon will be getting his game back online next week.

Will do, Pro. I hope the ladders get up soon. I can't believe the game just came out and some guys have played over 200 games! There are guys who play 12-18 hours a day! Maybe my goal of being in the top five in Generals is in for a setback. LOL.

roger-roger

I am thinking that when they do get the Clan support up, maybe some of us Emp-boys should get together. Theres an aweful lot of CC/RA people over there (go figure) that need to know that those of us that played Emp can take them to town any day of the week.

(spouts of big-words and rhetoric, when he knows that some of the beta-boys over there, the ones that already have 100's of wins, would kick his butt)

scytale, so far no one with a GeForce card has had any complaints (the technicals issues section of the Generals mboard is full of complaints about other cards, but GeForce / nVidia seem to work great). As for the 933mhz part ... well it will run, but you will definitely need to set to minimum for online play (especially if you plan on playing a 6 - 8 player game).

Best bet would be to buy it from a store with a return policy (like GameStop / EB).

Technically, I can make it run on my old 733mhz 64mb ram no-name graphicscard comp, but ... errr ... the results are far less than impressive.

That's for sure. After over a year and a half playing Emperor, I can hold my own against 90% of the players who have played the game. It's just those other 10% that kick my ass. LOL. As the Rolling Stones song says, "What a drag it is getting old." When you have a more than full-time job, a wife and kids, and your body demands that you work out to avoid getting stiff and flabby, playing a PC strategy game for more than an hour a day is simply out of the question. Even if I were a chess fanatic, I wouldn't have time to get really good at it. I am extremely competitive, but there is no way I can compete with guys who live only to play PC games between quick runs to the refrigerator for junk food! I guess if I can just keep my current average of 25% wins (lol) in Generals, I'll still enjoy the game. It's like the slot machine--you lose, you lose, you lose, and then you win one. It's those occasional glorious wins that keep you coming back. :)

Hey Omni, there have been 2 or 3 updates that will autodownload. Did you get at least the first 2?

Also once you get on, you will need to click on my name and "add", and then wait for me to accept (that goes for anyone you are adding to your buddy list) before you can private chat with them. Doom suggests EBFD players hang out in the last room available (always the last GLA room) between games. That way we will have a better chance of seeing eachother online.

Doom, you are taking it too personally. Generals is a better game than EBFD. In a couple years, as was pointed out, there will be a better game than Generals.

EBFD was a lot of fun for nearly 2 years -- what more can you ask of a RTS/RTT game than that? Personally though, it was starting to get stale. Once a game gets to the point where the same bo / strat works every time, and any variation or deviation from the standard = a loss, it is time to move on.

Taqwa, if you see me add me to your buddy list and I will accept. I am under the same name as I use in all online games -- ProcyonB. Also tracxm is on under his name, and sendakon will be getting his game back online next week.

Expect seeing me sometime in Marchpro...that is my birthday and i will get money....my parents dont trust me with money so i dont get allowence.....i hope to see u guys there...when i get it my name will be the same Die4Honr