Snow=Evil

ordos45

Snow is evil. I've shovelled 3 times so far in two days...there's 16 inches on the ground now outside. Idiot neighbors threw their snow into the area I had cleared around my parents' cars. Snow drifts from where I shovelled snow into piles are at about 5 and a half feet...

Anyone else feeling the snow pains?

you are insane. snow is the greatest thing since the machine that slices bread.....that is until we don't have off anymore. we're going to end up getting 20 inches by tomorrow eventing. so we get off for tomorrow, and possibly tuesday. LONG LIVE SNOW! WOOHOO!

and ordos, where do you live that you have that much snow already? there's that big ass snowstorm that's about to swamp us, and hence the 20 inches. ;D

snow is ok, but ice is bad, very bad. I drove only 25 km/h and tried to take a left turn, what happens? I come in a weird spin and suddenly i'm on the road, but pointing toward the wrong direction. Ofcourse it can be worse. Like for instance when i had to bring around newspapers, and 1 house is like 200 yards from the normal road, and the way to that house is full of holes (a sand road, i dunno how you call that) the entire road was covered with ice. Now imagine me on a bike, with bags full with newspapers biking through holes that are like 20 cm. deep and covered with ice. So you get the picture, in those 200 yards i fell 3 times. And this happened 6 times a week, Ofcourse after 2 days i thought this was too hard and just walked those 200 yards. As biking is just undoable, not to forget lethal

Wow you guys in the US miss school because of like two feet of snow? It takes at least a couple meters of built up snow to bring my city down...It's hard when it's all at once though. I assume that the Northeast is getting a big dump.

I reccomend honing your shovelling techniques and strategies. Most people clear straight from the middle of their driveway right up to the edge. I reccomend doing a two-car driveway in four pushes.

Imagine O is snow and X is cleared driveway. First, shovel a small path right down the middle of the driveway to work from, then clear each side in two successions of pushes.

Step 1:

OOXO

OOXO

OOXO

Step 2:

OOXX

OOXX

OOXX

Step 3:

OXXX

OXXX

OXXX

Step 4:

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

This allows you to move very quickly, as you can have a straddled stance with facing the house or away from it, depending on the side you do. If you shovel right handed, make sure you stand on the left side of the shovel and push the butt of the shovel with your right hand. Then, once you've cleared a section equal to 1/4 the width of your driveway, take a small step forward and do the same utnil you've cleared 1/4 of the driveway. Repeat this three times for each remaining fourth of the driveway.

I don't know if any of that makes any sense, as it's very difficult to explain without some sort of visual, but when I use this technique I can clear my fairly long driveway in about 5 minutes per foot/30cm of snow

I am also feeling the pain Ordos. We have about 2 feet of snow here in Maryland as well and I have shoveled several times today. At least all you have to do is around a car. I have a long driveway that takes about 1.5 hours for me to shovel and completely clear the snow. I have so much snow piled up on either side of my driveway it looks like a trench. I think most people are off tomorrow because of Presidents day holiday. I do not have off, but I am taking tomorrow off as a vacation day if I have to. The State of Maryland issued a state of emrgency until 4AM tomorrow and the Governer has stated if the police sees you out on the road and it is not for an emrgency you will be fined $1000 and possibly face up to a year in jail. So I think I will stay home.

I like snow!

All we've had here recently is rain rain rain. if it where snow there would be about 3-7 inches probbly.

I hate snow when i have to shovel it up. but besides that i like it cause it peacefull and quite like. you can slide down it, make a snow man, and most of all SNOWCREAM! man that stuff's good.

if only you could give us some of it ::) :)

Wow you guys in the US miss school because of like two feet of snow?

lol when my brother went to school in vermont

the rule of missing school was that if the school headmaster couldn't get to school then it would be canceled.... the thing is that the headmaster lives on campus ...LOL

i LLLOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE SNOW!!!!

i think it is the greatest thing ever.... i remember when i visited my grandma in washington D.C. in '96 and they had like 5 feet of snow.. i was kind of short then cuz i was young and i dug a hole into the snow that i could sit in and it was like a little snow house :D

i live in new mexico, so we dont' get much, if any

and our stupid school doesn't like canceling school, so even if we get enough ice to slide all the way down the road to school (we actually have before) they don't cancel or postpone school because they want a stupid perfect attendence record :P

Oh I live on a corner house with about 500 feet of sidewalk, so it can take a while. Though at this rate, I'll have completed a scale replica of World War I trenches in snow. As for the State of Emergency thing, same here number6 there is a ban on non emergency travel, same fine range, etc.

Well maybe you never had to deal with snow down there in Chile. Have you? What's the biggest snow storm you had to deal with?

Lots of snow.

Huge amounts of it. Specially in the southern parts of the country.

In the main city of the Patagonia the main issue is not snow (which is a big issue) but the wind.

Biggest snow storm, I think occurred in the Patagonia area, about 1.5 meters of snow in plain areas about 10 years ago, the problem was that in winter there is only about 5 hours of daylight so there was not much time to clear the driveways.