Emperor wont start!!Huge problem

unwound

i just bought the game and it wont start at all

i install then when i click on the icon, it initialize cd then stops and does nothing, the computer doesnt freeze, it just stops running the game

amd xp 1700+, 256 ddr ram , geforce 2 , win xp sp1 home edition

dx 9, nvidia 42,68 ( tried many others )

i tried 1.0, 1.07 and 1.09 and the game still does not work

Well, you system specs are fine. So don't waste time to that spammer.

Try running DxDiag. Go to you start menu - run

then type DxDiag. Now you will get a dialog. Somewhere there is an option to save the info you get. Save that to a file and attach the file in a post here.

So people here can have a better look at your problem

I am confused about this part of your dxdiag output:

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce2 Integrated GPU

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_01A0&SUBSYS_00A80E11&REV_B1

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: NEC MultiSync C400

Monitor Max Res: 1024,768

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0001.4268 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/10/2003 18:40:00, 3030542 bytes

The driver version is 42.68? I thought the latest detonator driver for XP was 41.09. See for yourself:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

I would not even use the 41.09 version, I would use the 40.72 version from this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive

it didnt work with 32.xx then i upgraded to 40.71, then .72 then 41.09 then to this leaked one which gives very good performance in everything

i uninstalled before changing driver so this is probably not the problem

i deleted norton 2003 and the game still didnt work but it started the game.exe without automatically closing it but it just hang there and didnt respond

When you were trying the different driver versions did you also have DirectX 9 installed or did you install DirectX 9 in between the Nvidia driver changes? Could you provide me with the make and model of your motherboard?

i think that i have an nforce

i have gforce integrated gpu so...i dont know i bought this computer at futureshop

compaq6010ca

the game once worked about 6 months ago( from a friend)

now i bought it cause it was cheap and it does not work anymore

im back with old driver(the ones i had when i bought my cpu) but still does not work

back with norton 2002 ( what i had 6 months ago )

the only difference is dx9 which im going to try to uninstall in the coming days but i will have to do some research cause i have no clue how to

i e-mailed westwood tech support about 3 days ago and still no reply, piece of shit company, never buying from them again

To be quite honest I have not tried to play emperor since I went to DirectX 9. I will have to try it and see if I have any problems with that game. I don't think you can uninstall a Direct X version once you have upgraded. Direct X is a vital part of the OS and is always running when you boot up your system. I have seen programs that have you boot up your system in safe mode and they delete and replace files. Not a very elegant or safe process in my opinion.

when i start and look at the tasks it starts a program:game.exe, then another thing ~ef7194.tmp and then both close automatically and nothing hapenns after

Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: jk2mp.exe (<File Missing>)

;D it appears that the Exefile is missing

Just a quick note: Emperor does not officially support Win XP. Back when it came out, Win XP was still kinda of new, and no testing was done under XP.

That said, I believe Nyar et al. have had some success getting it to run happily under XP ..

--Chris

p.s. And of course DX 9 was not out back then, so perhaps there are some issues there .. although Microsoft is usally pretty good about backwards compatibilty. (However, some drivers are not so friendly..i.e. don't use the DX9 drivers yet) .. my 2 cents

i tried everything that was suggested and nothing works

i guess ill just try to sell the game to someone at school or back at EB

it sucks cause i was really looking forward to this game and my comps has specs way higher then the required ones

I checked into your motherboard and it is indeed an nforce chipset. The motherboard manufacturer is MSI and the model is MS-6553. I can't find anything that points to the motherboard at this point, but I will look into it when I get a little more free time. As Chris pointed out the game was not designed for Win XP, but I would not give up just yet. I thought some more about compatability mode and remembered a post by Gob, our fearless webmaster, and he made an excellent reference in this thread:

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=4;action=display;threadid=8137

He posted a link to this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,428538,00.asp

When you get a chance read that article and see if any of the info in there gives you some ideas in what you can do with compatability mode. It's features like this that may yet convert me to XP.

• 1 year later...