Problem with installing software

Each time I buy a new game, it is a real pain to install it.

When I insert the cd into my computer, all runs fine and the setup starts.

Always somewhere during the install, my computer just restart! >:(

It is some problem with vertual memory I think, but I have checked my memory settings.

I always end up installing the game on my brothers pc and copy it over the network to my computer. It is very annoying.

Does anyone know how to treat this problem?

I may add that the problem only occur on windows 2000 and windows xp.

When turning off automatic restart during memory dump, I got an errormessage instead.

My computer had to restart anyway, so I turned it back on.

This error happens on both windows 2000 and xp, I have had both. I have also had windows 98 where this error never occured.

When turning off automatic restart during memory dump, I got an errormessage instead.

My computer had to restart anyway, so I turned it back on.

This error happens on both windows 2000 and xp, I have had both. I have also had windows 98 where this error never occured.

Basicly what I want to know is if it has been having this problem since you installed Win XP/2000 ?

My computer was delivered with windows 98 which was virtually problem free.

I wanted a newer windows than that, so I installed windows xp.

When running on windows xp, my computer got this problem, so I went back to windows 98 and everything went fine. I repeated these steps for like 2 or 3 times.

Finally, I tried windows 2000, but it got the same problem and I though: Whatever I don't want to format another time so I'll just stick too it.

• 2 months later...

I think one of the memory modules contained an error(I had two, each at 256MB).

That would be my best guess. If you have a spare computer or want to insert the moduls in your current computer again to test them you could scann them with a memory scanner to see if there are any bad spots on it.

Could be one of those other componets you changed. An IRC problem, power probelm could be a lot of things.