re:emperor LAN network help needed

rommel

hi there,

when i try to start a LAN game neather pc's can see each other in the lobby but are fine in windows, or at times one will go into the lobby but one displays the message "failed to open network socket".

both pc's play fine on any other c&c games or dune games on LAN.

please help if you can,

thanks,rommel :-/

Yes they do, it must be something to do with the windows based protocols. i.e which protocols do you have running when linking two machines on a LAN. I currently have TCPIP, NET beui, and IPX.

Your advice on this matter would be much appreciated

the computers are not on the net,just linked using cat5 cable using 10/100 nic cards.

i have tried using just tcp/ip on its own to limit conflicts but this had no result either,i could under stand if it were from a different box but the cd's are from the same set,bloody thing.??????????????

""failed to open network socket". "

Do you have a firewall installed, or set the properties for the UTP-card as "only connect to secure host", or some other filtering mode ?

When you have a firewall that blocks certain Windows sub-programms you can also get that error message. The firewall prevents the programm from opening the requierd socket.

Some routers and switches have a "build in firewall".

But I don't think you have one of those, and because of the fact that you can use them on the Net and C&C is working my idea probbebly isn't correct.

:)

From the same box doesn't mean anything about the version mismatch I was talking about. What I was refering to is the fact that one might have been updated with a patch and the other isn't...

Another thing, if you haven't installed any patch, it might be useful to upgrade the to the latest patch available (1.09).

I doubt it has to do with any config on the computers, due to the fact that other games work just fine (not to mention that you are able to see eachother in Windows)..

Try the patch suggestion and keep me updated !

thanks Nyarlathotep,

I'll get back to you with the patch idea, i checked the cd versions as well and there the same,they also cannot be directly changed,remember a cd is ROM(read only memory) and only the systems files or windows can be changed,valid point though,

thanks again

to gryphon,there was a fire wall(zone alarm pro) but i uninstalled that,even after formatting i still get the same problem,do you think it would be wise to try it connecting on the net,this may out line any problems?

Nope, don't think that would overcome the problem. And you havn't got the firewall anymore so that can't be the problem. I posted it because I had a similar error when I connected to my ISP ones.

I had a firewall that blocked the specific port for my ID on the net, so I couldn't log on. After giving that port open for the connection aplication I got almost the same error agian. This time because I was using 128 and higher encryptions over my internet and internall connection, this combined with "only communicate with secured hosts" made that I couldn't access anything besides the DNS of my ISP. A phone call to them made me overcome this error. [ I now have a encrypted connection to my ISP. he ! :D ]

This is abviously not your problem. But because of the error message that was almost the same, "unable to open the required" socket I thought of this. That the settings of the network adapter where "wrong" some where. So windows can comunicate with itself, they are both secured, but another aplication isn't secured so it's being refused.

But like the doc also mentioned, this is verry unlikely. [ things like this only seem to be happenng to me ;D ] And you han't got a firewall [ antmore ] to block the ports so that options isn't possible to.

It was just to ask if you had a firewall [ or that function on in Win ], then that could be the problem.

:)

thanks gryphon,

i think im going to give it up as a bad idea at the mo,the things got me p###ed o#f now,back to c&c me thinks,

thanks again for your help,if i get it working we'll have to have a game,later,Rommel