Tactics for Dune2k

Boba Fett

Also, sonics are good to keep in front of your base. (Again in Atreides missions) They can withstand a lot of damage and they'll weaken incoming attackers. You never want to put sonics behind your men because the sonics will not only attack the enemy, they'll kill your own men in the process.

During a mission(Atreides), you should make only Sonics in your heavy factory(once you have an Ix Research center), and continually starport in missiles, sieges, and combats. An attack force with many different tanks is much more effective because they can attack many more types of enemy units(for ex. sieges will take care of the infantry and missiles will take out the vehicles.)

• 2 weeks later...

17) If you have a lotta money, build 5-6 quads, and take them harvester hunting. With this squad, you'll probably be able to take out 3-4 harveys. As you get better, the number will increase.

Boba Fett you are not a strategist. This Strategy is likely to put you under attack and your base. Also 5-6 quads will only be able to take out 1 in a time period. Sheesh I wonder what kind of a strategist are you.

:D

That depends largely on the distance the harvesters are from the enemy base/your forces, and the response time of the enemy, and the type of units they send to destroy your harvester hunting force.

Thanks, Ixian, knew I could count on ya!

BTW, I don't like you very much, Giga. If you have ever tried doing some harvey hunting, the results are usually:

1) AI sends a huge force towards your units

2) AI deploys a death hand on your units (very rarely)

3)(Most probable) AI sends EVERY GODDAMN UNIT THEY HAVE to fend off your attack.

Whatever they do, it'll be a great distraction. AND IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO FEND OFF AN AI ATTACK ON YOUR BASE, SHAME ON YOU! YOU OUTTA READ MY DEFENCIVE STRATS A LITTLE MORE CAREFULLY!

Good Night.

• 2 weeks later...

my tactic is best

build 4wind traps

build barracks

build refinery

build heavy factory

build light factory

build next 4wind traps

build outpost

build starpoty

build 3refineries

build next 4wind traps

build ixian research center

build palace

build repair pad

build next 4power plants

====Ready For Flight====

make tanks trikes, or raiders, and missile tanks(from starport) enemy iss stupid, and you can eleminate him in fast time, if you use duneedit98 , and make fast fire in trike , siege tanks and , combat tanks, you can see spagetti with fired tanks and fast firing trikes:)) szrrrrrrrrrrrr(sound from fired fast trike) Blup(siege tank) if you have our palace, you can launch ICBM(Inter-Continrntal Balistic Missile) , = death hand missile. to enemy, from specified place of your base, recomended is having big one base or 4small bases, maintenance in dune2000 is small, and you can make unless number of units:)) and attack enemy :..........

tactic is taked from user (IDT)kiLLer

It does seem good, though I cant try it. My Cdrom drive hasnt been working for the last 5 months :'(

We're playing 2 chuck it and get a cdr/w instead, but itll havta wait.

You're talking about Harkonnen here. Give us something about the other houses as well, I'm sure we need something new.

Cheerio

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, ffrenchy wants some unit stats, so I'll write 'em here.

Light Infantry - Only effective in squads. Good against all types of infantry as well as light armoured vehicles.

Troopers - Again, effective in squads. Good against all vehicles, but useless against infantry.

Sardaukar - A combination of light infantry and troopers. They are difficult to kill and also carry mines, which damage any tank trying to crush them.

Fremen - Invisible Sardaukar, to be precise.

Trikes/Raiders - Useful as Scouts. Period. Can only do damage to infantry but its easy to blow em up.

Quads - Good against all vehicles. Mix them with combat tanks for a raiding/harvester hunting group.

Combat Tank - Excellent unit. Very effective against all vehicles. It is heavily armoured and fast.

Seige tank - One of the best anti infantry units. It is also very effective against light vehicles. Its slow speed and low armour are the reasons why it gets blown up so easily.

Missile Tank - Excellent unit for defence/offense. It is very, very effective against all vehicles, but does an inappreciable amount of damage to infantry.

Sonic Tank - Effective against infantry and light vehicles. Since its sonic blast damages all units in its path, it has to be monitored all the time.

Deviator - Only converts enemy units temporarily. Medium armour and speed.

Devastator - THE most powerful tank on Dune. Massive and powerful, its armament consists of 2 huge cannons which fire shells with atomic warheads. Its source of power is a nuclear reactor, which can be destabilized. This results in the destruction of the tanks and its surrounding units/buildings.

The person wasn't kidding. You can only build certain buildings which are of singnificant importance. I mean, its no use being able to build a hark w/trap when your atr, coz there isn't any diff between them.

So, if I remember correctly, when you capture the c/yard, you can build the palace and some tech buildings. If you capture the atr c/yard, I think you can build an atr high tech centre, coz that'll give ya ornis.

Thats basically it. I cant remember all the buildings you can build coz I last played the game on my b'day, Apr 13, but after capturing the c/yard, scroll down the buildings menu, and you should see multiple buildings of the same type somewhere. One will be yours, and the other, well you know.

Capturing the cy doesnt give you ability to build specialized vehicles either, does it? I think you need to capture enemy heavy to get the house specific vehicles: sonics, devastators, and deviators. Capturing cy is good strategy in 4 person multiplayer-if your partner is harkonnen and you are atreides and you get mcy from starport and give to him to capture and other way around then you each have death hand and orni attacks to use against opponents.

Yes, but then you would have lost your identity and originality, wouldn't you? I mean, if you start as Atr, capture the Ord buildings, and then use their stuff, its a different thing. You've risked the lives of your men (I know, I'm being too damn melodramatic and sentimental) and spent valuable resources on getting that piece of technology, so using it is your right.

But if you just trade mcvs, y'know, then it doesn't have any honour in it (honour was the closest word I could think of, but you get my drift). Still, its fun ;D

If you are allied to someone who has different technology is it wrong to share? I agree with you in principle Boba, but I like to share with my allies to further the war effort, and this tactic allows me to set up a mini base(heavy, light, barracks) within my allies base to help defend him in case of attack. But I'm moving away from the honour issue; "The ends justify the means"-Machiavelli Do they?

Ghost

I never actually liked Mach till I got good grades in my history exam ;).

But anyway, you didn't mention anything about allies in your previous posts. It WOULD be different if you shared with allies, but IMO sharing with opponents is a big no-no.

And I dont think the ends justify the means. Up Machiavelli.

reading the post above the one above gave me the idea of how you could get the other persons tech and still stay in your base. you just get your ally to bring a mcv to your base and build the buildings you want and then capture them useing engineers. but make sure you give something in return.

Draggoon, the problem with that is that it takes too long to get the MCV(mobile construction vehicle-for any reader who doesn't know) across to your own base. The barracks are early in most build orders so you can get an engineer over to your ally quickly before things get too hectic. Another advantage is that you can build a mini base within your ally's base, as I said in an earlier post to back him up if he needs it. If you both share this way your team can have 2 death hands and two ornithopter attacks which can cripple one of the opponents with a little luck on the death hands. If you also share a heavy factory you are able to produce the house specialized vehicles like sonics, deviators, and devastators. The final advantage is that if your base (or your ally's base) gets destroyed you still have that other construction yard and base up and running to try to start over, or at least back up your ally.

Okay, ffrenchy wants some unit stats, so I'll write 'em here.

Light Infantry - Only effective in squads. Good against all types of infantry as well as light armoured vehicles.

Troopers - Again, effective in squads. Good against all vehicles, but useless against infantry.

Sardaukar - A combination of light infantry and troopers. They are difficult to kill and also carry mines, which damage any tank trying to crush them.

Fremen - Invisible Sardaukar, to be precise.

Trikes/Raiders - Useful as Scouts. Period. Can only do damage to infantry but its easy to blow em up.

Quads - Good against all vehicles. Mix them with combat tanks for a raiding/harvester hunting group.

Combat Tank - Excellent unit. Very effective against all vehicles. It is heavily armoured and fast.

Seige tank - One of the best anti infantry units. It is also very effective against light vehicles. Its slow speed and low armour are the reasons why it gets blown up so easily.

Missile Tank - Excellent unit for defence/offense. It is very, very effective against all vehicles, but does an inappreciable amount of damage to infantry.

Sonic Tank - Effective against infantry and light vehicles. Since its sonic blast damages all units in its path, it has to be monitored all the time.

Deviator - Only converts enemy units temporarily. Medium armour and speed.

Devastator - THE most powerful tank on Dune. Massive and powerful, its armament consists of 2 huge cannons which fire shells with atomic warheads. Its source of power is a nuclear reactor, which can be destabilized. This results in the destruction of the tanks and its surrounding units/buildings.

I think this site will be usefull for unit & building stats

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=34948&rid=32896

• 4 months later...

But if you send 100-150 Troopers not even inf. could survive.

Just send in a Quad/M Tank/Other non-Inf unit with or behind them when blowing up buildings or the shrapnel will kill them. same goes with Fremen.

But if you hot key more than 50 at a time only half will go.

Making a big group of Troopers/Light Infantry. in a 3/2 ratio would be great. if in multi, ask your ally to make 100+ Troopers while you make 75-100 Light Inf.

maybe some build orders?

for practice games  P*

habbanya erg  P*

power/bar/power/outpost/power/ref/ref/power/power/heavy/heavy/light/light/power/power/power/starport/ix/palace/power/power/ref/ref/ref/ref/power/power/power

funreal plain  P*

power/power/ref/ref/ref/ref/ref/barracks/power/power/heavy/heavy/power/power/power/outpost/power/power/starport/ix/palace/power/power/silo/silo/silo/silo/power/ref/ref/power/light/light/light/heavy/heavy/heavy/power/power/"turrets"/"walls"/palace/

for habbanya erg, P* easy build order

/power/power/power/power/power/ref/heavy/bar/light/outpost/starport/

for crate games  P*

power/ref/sold refinery and dont build again/power/light/ and end of build order

to get moneys, eat crates

• 3 weeks later...

There was some question of a strategy for using the Mercenaries...

1) if you build a lot of rocket turrets in the entrance to their base

2) take over most of their windtraps for extra power (leaving enough for their rocket turrets) - note that their heavy factory will produce tanks slowly now, so take that over too.

3) take over anything you want EXCEPT the starport. The Mercs get most of their reinforcements from here, so it's a source of free units for you!

4) it is not recommended to take over the Mercs base completely unless you're on the same physical piece of rock, because it makes the defence more difficult if there's not regular supplies of Mercs to help you

5) wall them in! That way, they will build up loads of units but not be able to attack anywhere.  So when you unbuild the walls, they will all rush out.  Time this to coincide with your own attack  :O

6) if the Mercs do look like they might turn hostile, keep some engineers handy to take over buildings, but be careful, because most of the units coming from the starport will be troopers and siege tanks (isn't it a bit counterproductive to attack with troopers and siege tanks only?  You'll kill your own attackers...) and they will make mincemeat of your engineers

7) actually I've run out of ideas now, but I hope that helps.  Generally just try to time things with the Mercs and they will stay on your side.

• 1 month later...

I usually just seal up the entrance to the mercs base using a row of rockies with seige tanks behind them, keeping a 2 tile gap somewhere in between for the mercs to pass through. It keeps them on your side, and they dont lose units in defending their base.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hat good idea

capture mercenary silo, build walls to block his spot to make him unable to send units  then block infantry exit to not lose infantry, when his base is load of units sell all walls and look for effect, mercs  coulda easily kill one or two enemies....be careful, when he send up all units, close his base again then wait for next huge army, release again ,  and they shoulda work and mercs may kill ai, u just take out only refineries , rest of buldings coulda mercenaries ...  also i did one time this thing,  atreides airstriked mercs base , cos i provocated atreides, then i send  my smal group to mercs, atreides comed for them, and i filled up entrance from top of my base,  atreides got squished near mercs, and airstriked mers base,  but i did mod for dune  i deviated one of quads,  and moved them to other place to other spot... when i engied his conyard, they deployed quad to conyard. but why he dont build rest of base.... there is any way to make mercenaries building up base?

• 4 months later...