GeForce 4 Ti 4600 Problems

Nav, hardware is an issue which will always be spoken of. Think about how many Geforce 4 Ti 4600 there are and then compare their performance with one single game. One has a better performance then the other.

Just as you I have some doubts about the fact that an 866Mhz is not sufficiant enough to keep up with the videocard. How ever, there are still some processes that run via the processor and to be honest, the 866 isn't the latest processor.

You talk about games.. what games ? I have found that EBFD and Renegade for example run slow on my Geforce 3. Now if I would play Serious Sam: 2nd encounter, I could max out all graphics and the game would run excellent. IMHO the graphics of Serious Sam: 2nd encounter are WAY better then those in EBFD or Renegade. Question, how come SS; 2nd encounter runs so great ??

Also, remember that not every GeForce uses the same type of ram. I know for a fact that some Geforce 4 Ti 4600 with 128mb are slower (!!!) then other GeForce 4 cards with 64mb.

Another aspect are drivers. I do not know what driver you use, but I upgraded to the 28.32 driver of Nvidia and actually had a performance increase of 20% (% is guessed). If you are using the drivers from your card manufacturer, you might experiance lower FPS due to the fact that those drivers are also for the extra's that the card offers (like tv out for example). If you install the drivers from Nvidia you will loose the extra's, but will have an increasement of performance.

I could go on and on... like said, about hardware is a lot to say (take for example your motherboard.. can it handle the hardware).

Btw, you did check if the card AND BIOS are set for AGP x 4 right ?

I would suggest you check out www.tomshardware.com for any detailed information about the memory on cards for example.

About the sound..

I'm sure there are programs that let you messure the quality, but I wouldn't know any right now.

The only thing that may cause the quality to be less, might be the power consumption the GeForce 4 has.

Maybe there's another reason, but I can't think of any direct reason why installing a AGP card would cause the sound quality to deminish (apart from the power consumption).

I hope the above helped a bit..