Nyar(off topic)

Remember that I said, "almost" certain..

As brand.. well, I have an Asus GeFroce 3 and I'm very happy with it. What you might want to do IF you're going to buy a new one is to take a look at www.tomshardware.com

You'll find all kind of cards compared (different chipsets and brands)..

As extra advise, don't stare blind on the 128 memory cards. Some of them are known to be slower then some 64mb cards. This is due to slower memory on the cards. On the page above you'll find all the information you need.

Good luck !

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken, you have 768mb of ram correct ?

I do not know how many memory modules you have, but try removing one or two (guessing there are 3 modules of 256) and then see if it still locksup. If it still does, remove the one that's in there and replace it with another one you already took out.

Well, there's not much wrong you can do. Remove two modules and the start the computer. Just for removing RAM I don't see any reason why it should detect new hardware (probably a feature in Windows that never made it in the manual ;)).As for the amount of RAM, Windows 9x / ME can't deal with more then 512mb ram and as far as I know, if there's more, it simply doesn't use it. XP for example can deal with more ram and will use it..There are options to have Win 9x / ME to use the extra ram, but it involves editing the win.ini if I'm not mistaken..

okay, well, maybe try this:

1.try removing one modul (256mb mem chip) and reboot (twice so windows could "respond" to the hardware changes)

2.check out the amount of memory in "my computer properties".

3.set the "virtual memory" setting found in the preformance tab, in "my computer properties" window, check the "let me specify my own virtual memory setting",fill 0 in minimum, and 256 in maximum.

The logic behind this:

1.i don't know what OS you own, but windows` optimal memory is 512mb

2.some programs i have just crash in a very bizzarre way when i let windows manage my virtual memory. some games do the same when windows decides to allocate memory and never really remembers to free it (a known problem for C, C++ compilers in windows)...which might just be it