What do you look like?

VigilVirus

As far as I know... it was built as a mausoleum for the communist leaders to come.

The imbecils who run the country today wanted to tear it down because it was made by communists. By the same reasoning they should demolish half the country. Anyway.

@Fett: if your father visited Romania before '89 the park was named "Parcul Libertatii" (Freedom park), it's present name being "Parcul Carol" in the honor of modern Romania's first king.

As far as I know... it was built as a mausoleum for the communist leaders to come.

I'm pretty sure it was built as a mausoleum for communist fighters in WW2...

@Fett: if your father visited Romania before '89 the park was named "Parcul Libertatii" (Freedom park), it's present name being "Parcul Carol" in the honor of modern Romania's first king.

You know, I find that extremely ironic. After 1989 a whole bunch of streets and places got renamed because their old names supposedly sounded too communistic. But why did they rename the park? Does "freedom" sound too communistic? ;D

I have no idea :D

The whole area got built in 1906 as a great exposition near the old Filaret railway station. It housed many buildings and such to show Romania's progresses since King Carol I came to power in 1866. After the expozition closed some of the buildings and arrangements were considered to be googd enough to form a park. After WII the communists demolished most of the theme buildings, built the great brigde and the mausolaeum. After '89 the renamed the park in honor of it's indirect creator.

Edric, the phonomenon with old words is quite interesting: "camarad" - became unused because is sounded too Nazi as it was used by the Romanian Right-wing party before WWII, "tovaras" - became unused because it was extensevely used during the communist regime, and even patriotism is viewed either as communist or nazi. It is painful to see that because the communist regime imposed patriotism as a virtue, most of the population now loath their country just because the communists seemed to "love" it more. And moreover people are "afraid" to say they love their country because they don't want to be viewed as extremists. But this is happening all over the world. It must be the globalisation  :'(

It is painful to see that because the communist regime imposed patriotism as a virtue, most of the population now loath their country just because the communists seemed to "love" it more. And moreover people are "afraid" to say they love their country because they don't want to be viewed as extremists. But this is happening all over the world. It must be the globalisation  :'(

Well, to be fair, patriotism is actually a very un-communist thing (since communism is deeply internationalist and urges the workers of the whole world to unite). It was stalinism that came up with all the patriotic stuff that gets associated with "communism" in Eastern Europe today.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...