Site Updates

Gobalopper

Something seems to be wrong with attachments uploaded as part of a post, I'll see if I can figure it out. The files are still on the server but must not be linked properly.

I've also uploaded a patch so let me know if anyone sees anything wrong.

On 2/4/2016 at 5:08 PM, Gobalopper said:

Have there been any new posts since the upgrade? Or is it only the old posts that broke?

Old posts, I just did one now and we can see if it does it there.

Edit: doesn't work on new ones either 

Edited by Gruntlord6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or did we lose the Preview feature? I was using it to check spelling and formatting just before posting. Now I can't see that option, only "Submit Reply."

I don't need that option, but I was wondering is there a reason it went away? Or am I the only one who can't see it anymore?

Yes, I also noticed that the "full editor" option for posting replies is either not available at all or obscured to the user. Would be nice to have it back.

I suspect though that the preview was removed because someone thought it was redundant now that the post editor works exclusively in WYSIWYG mode.

My understanding is that IPS, the company who makes the forum software we use, have decided to focus on the WYSIWYG editor. In the new version of the forum software we're using they've started to move away from BBCode and things like a post preview. I don't necessarily agree with them but I figure the other benefits of the software make up for it.

Thanks to you both for answering my question. That's fine. Good to know that the formatting isn't going to change from what I see.

I don't post that often and when I went to make a post I noticed the difference, also that any edit made even 2 minutes later is now counted as "edited by. This is fine also. Just means that I need to remember to spell-check and proof first.

On the bright side, I do like the options for size adjustment. :smile:  I don't remember those in the older versions.

• 1 month later...

I've updated the forum software which includes a few versions of the software. If you're interested you can see the changes here:
https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4111-r41/
https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/41111-r42/
https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4112-r40/
https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/41121-r43/

The big change that a number of people have been asking about is the option to preview your post. You can now do that by clicking the last icon in the buttons above your text box.

• 1 month later...

Have you ever actually looked in the Dune II section? Tons of important posts that we still might feel the need to update with new info are that old. For one thing, I hate seeing old posts of mine in which the links got broken, but which I can fix with new links. It's just so people can still use that information; no matter how much later they find it. Finding older info is yet another thing the archiving system messes up, btw.

In this specific case, I wanted to add some stuff to my post detailing the steps involved in the installation of Dune Dynasty, but there are a lot more like it; on the thread of my Dune II editor I always edited the first post with the latest release information, something I can no longer do now since the project started in 2008. And if I don't post in the thread within a month I'm sure it'll once again get archived, meaning that if I ever decide to update it some more, I can't post updates in it without involving a moderator, and people who only just discover the editor can no longer comment in the thread.

Dune II is an old game; almost 24 years old now. The modding and other development around it has no reason to go very fast.

Edited by Nyerguds