Site Updates

Gobalopper

I'm mostly enjoying it so far. I miss features of the old board (particularly the change in font colors when a new post is made or a link is posted), but some of the new features are kind of cool. I can see the chat feature having really taken off a few years ago, or maybe in the summer. I don't really see the relevance of some of the more social aspects, such as friends, status updates, etc., though if the board were busier (or if I didn't check as often) I might see the benefit of those. Got to fix the [ c ] command though... I miss my sig! ;)

EDIT: Easier fix than I anticipated. The very slight change in BB code is important, but it's not that difficult to change.

Well the big thing is there is way more I can do with this software vs the old forum software. A lot of what I wanted to do to cut back on spam and whatnot just would have taken too much work or wasn't available. The look of the forums will improve there is just a learning curve on how to edit the templates. I made all of the old forum layouts so its not like I don't think simpler is better. :) This was just the closest I could find to the old layout to base my changes on.

The profile seems to have a button. "Find my content" seems to be same as the "posts" tab.

Mobile notification? What's that, I get a text message everytime someone replies to a thread I am subscribed to?

I think "my content" would include other things like photos, blogs, etc if we had those apps installed. Not sure how mobile notification works, if you test it out let us know. :)

I saw a guest post in the dungeon - are we allowing guests to post again?

Normally spammer accounts get deleted so most posts in the Dungeon were from spammers.

Just noticed that all old post links are lost (e.g. those in my sig) :( Is it going to be repaired or what?

Old links should be able to work again but I am still working on that.

I see a "Members active in live chat" thing at the bottom. Is there an integrated chat room now?

There is a chat room, it is a free app as long as you are ok with having no more than 5 people at once. Since we don't normally have that many online I figured it would be fine. Makes it easy to have a quick conversation with someone if you are both online at the same time.

And now we all have 0 posts.

The post count should be updated. I tried doing a recount but the converter had marked all boards as not increasing post count so everything got reset to 0 for a second. The current totals should be accurate, they do not count posts that are currently in the Dungeon.

I click "Multiquote" and nothing happens.

I used multiquote to write this post actually. :) You select the posts you want to quote and then you click the "add reply" button. It takes you to the reply page with all the quotes auto filled in. Really handy feature.

After a day or so, I'm beginning to adjust to the changes. The main, "in my face" things are still the colour tags and a couple of other things:

- The "View New Content" link; can that be re-worded to "Unread Posts"?

- The "New" button in the "View New Content" area; could that be moved to the right of everything else (i.e. topic title, page numbers, etc.)? I keep clicking on the last page, muscle memory telling me it'll take me to the latest post.

Again, it's mostly pining for the lost perfection (to my mind, anyway) of the old board.

Also, is it possible for you to upload all of the different smiley sets the old board had? I never used the one's we have now, and it's a bit weird seeing them after so many years.

See my first comment about board look and feel. I'm not sure if smileys are a user setting... I know I can set them per skin. I don't particularly like these ones either. If anyone has suggestions for better ones let me know.

I'm mostly enjoying it so far. I miss features of the old board (particularly the change in font colors when a new post is made or a link is posted), but some of the new features are kind of cool. I can see the chat feature having really taken off a few years ago, or maybe in the summer. I don't really see the relevance of some of the more social aspects, such as friends, status updates, etc., though if the board were busier (or if I didn't check as often) I might see the benefit of those. Got to fix the [ c ] command though... I miss my sig! ;)

EDIT: Easier fix than I anticipated. The very slight change in BB code is important, but it's not that difficult to change.

Yeah for now I would recommend using the [ color ] tag. The [ c ] was a custom one I made by hacking the code and it won't be as easy to duplicate.

Where's my world map showing where members are? :P

Hah, yeah I will look for a replacement once everything is working.

The post count should be updated. I tried doing a recount but the converter had marked all boards as not increasing post count so everything got reset to 0 for a second. The current totals should be accurate, they do not count posts that are currently in the Dungeon.

Hmmm, the current totals for most people are different (lower) than before the software change. Do you know what the reason might be? I remember that the old forum software also subtracted a post from your total when it was sent to the Dungeon.

Yeah for now I would recommend using the [ color ] tag. The [ c ] was a custom one I made by hacking the code and it won't be as easy to duplicate.

Using the [ color ] tag is ok, but the problem is that all the old posts with colored text now have ugly-looking broken code in them. So it would be great if you could duplicate that custom hack... or, alternatively, run a script that looks for [ c ] tags and converts them all to [ color ] tags.

I think the post counts must have been wrong before. Checking your post total, even with the Dungeon posts, there are 7860. My query returned that you have 292 posts in the dungeon. On the old boards you were listed at 7791.

I just ran a script to fix the [ c ] tag problem. I think I got most of them but if you find any problems let me know.

Can you give me an example where it removed them? It shouldn't have.

Andrew, moderators are the only ones who see those posts. New users who haven't made a post yet have to get their first post approved by a moderator before it will show up for regular members. Posts after that will show up right away.

Can you give me an example where it removed them? It shouldn't have.

Andrew, moderators are the only ones who see those posts. New users who haven't made a post yet have to get their first post approved by a moderator before it will show up for regular members. Posts after that will show up right away.

The last few pages of Fenceposts in Fan Fiction are completely devoid of colour... except for one post, strangely.

And I'd really, really like the [ c ] code back if at all possible. The current system can't handle hexadecimal colour codes (e.g. 11AAFF or whatever). It also grates on me every time I have to spell colour incorrectly.

Ok, I added colour as an alias. Try putting the pound # character before it if you can't get your hex codes to work:

quotes

no quotes

quotes and pound

no quotes and pound

[colour=#11AAFF]colour[/colour]

[color=#"11AAFF"]quotes[/color]
[color=#11AAFF]no quotes[/color]
[color=#"#11AAFF"]quotes and pound[/color]
[color=#11AAFF]no quotes and pound[/color]
[colour=#11AAFF]colour[/colour]

I will go back and fix the color tags that aren't working, looks like you have to have the # character for hex colors.

[colour=#005FFF]New bug: When middle-clicking the blue "New" icon on the forum index, next to a board that has new content posted (i.e. opening it in a new tab), it simply opens the forum index again, with the board no longer having the blue icon next to it. This is in Firefox 3.6.8, by the by.[/colour]

Old links should be able to work again but I am still working on that.

Hopefully you fix that soon, because, you know, I put some effort into this and this (not to mention the numerous other interrelated links to useful information scattered across various posts).

Also, may I ask why there such huge gaps between the vertical screen borders and the body of the forum? The text has become much narrower now (screenshot attached).

Oh, and BTW: just noticed that the new software tells me I've got 1.27 MB in attachments on the forum, and I can't remember having that many (or that large) attachments. Is there anywhere I can take a look at them all? (most have probably become obsolete over the time anyway, I suppose)

[Edit] Found the "Manage Attachments" option in settings, so the latter problem is solved :)

[Edit2] I switched to the default IPBoard forum skin. It sure looks boring, but it's more readable and doesn't lag terribly on my PC. I miss the good old FED2k board style though cry.gif

I will go back and fix the color tags that aren't working, looks like you have to have the # character for hex colors.

It was so nice without the colors. I hardly ever read posts from people that use colors because most of them are a pain for the eyes. I really don't get it how people can use them for a complete post instead of just using it to highlight certain words or stuff like that. Too bad the tags are back now.

It was so nice without the colors. I hardly ever read posts from people that use colors because most of them are a pain for the eyes. I really don't get it how people can use them for a complete post instead of just using it to highlight certain words or stuff like that. Too bad the tags are back now.

[colour=#005FFF]They're not all back, though. Fenceposts still has no colour. :(

You're saying that this blue is a pain for your eyes? I find it much easier to read than the grey/white text, myself.[/colour]

[colour=#005FFF]

You're saying that this blue is a pain for your eyes? I find it much easier to read than the grey/white text, myself.[/colour]

Yes it is. Maybe it's the combination of dark background, colours and my (rather good) TFT. It looks a bit better on cheaper monitors like my laptop display but still coloured texts are not very comfortable so I hardly read them - sorry. The grey text is pretty light on the eyes and very comfortable to read. At least as comfortable as text on dark backgrounds goes.