Emperor and Norton AntiVirus

Untalkative Bunny

After almost two years, I started playing Emperor: Battle for Dune again ;D

Like two years ago, I'm having compatibility problems with Norton AntiVirus and Emperor. If my memory serves me correctly, I remembered there was a fix for this (besides uninstalling NAV) that involved replacing a file somewhere in the C:WINDOWSSystem32 ... I can't really remember where.

I've searched Symantec and Westwood/EA's site and found nothing concerning this fix. I also searched this forum and found nothing.

Can anyone confirm my failing memory ???

Can someone please provide me with the fix?

Thanks for you time.

Currently, I'm running Windows XP and NAV 2003.

Might be irrelevent, but back then, I think I was using Windows 2000 and NAV 2000 or 2001.

That information is not irrelevent that is your problem your running a newer OS (Win XP vs. Win 2000). Older games were designed for whatever OS versions that were on the market when released.

Well I know a lot of people who have XP can run Emperor with no problems. I still use Windows 98 because I refuse to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. There definitely is a problem with the current version of Norton. Go to this thread and read it:

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=4;action=display;threadid=7780

If the part about Norton is not related to you post let us know in this thread.

I know it is a problem with Norton AntiVirus because when I install it, Emperor does not work/install. When I uninstall Norton AntiVirus, Emperor plays perfectly.

Check out this:

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_lva=&p_faqid=10665

[what an address, don't you think?]

When I played Emperor almost two years ago - if my memory serves me correctly - I remember replacing/patching a file related to NAV. I downloaded this file off Symantec's support site, but I can't find it there now :(

Does anyone have the file or know another walkaround?

(Besides uninstalling NAV. I hate running my PC w/o NAV)

Thanks for your continued help guys.

Shortened the url for you. ;) - Gobalopper

Well that may have been the case with the older version of Nav, but I think that would not be the case with the newest version. If they had a file to replace a buggy file I would assume that problem would be fixed in the latest release. Did you upgrade from an existing version of Nav or was it a fresh install on a system that never had nav installed on it? Nav seems to be a problem on Win XP systems when it is an upgrade. Now if you installed XP and Nav 2003 fresh I would start thinking maybe the problem is not Nav related. Have you simply tried disabling nav and the problem went away or are you making an assumption that it is Nav related because it was a problem before on your older system?

number6:

It was a fresh install of NAV 2003, and Windows XP for that matter. I've tried disabling NAV auto-protect aswell, with no success.

I will, however, install NAV again and see if disabling auto-protect fixes the problem.

You are correct when you say that I'm making this assumption because of the problem I had before, but I think it's pretty clear. Depending on whether NAV is install or uninstalled, Emperor works or doesn't work, respectively.

Has anyone had any success with NAV 2003 and Emperor on Windows XP?

That's why we have a tech support forum, but thanks is always appreciated. :)

I would like you to try a re-install and disabling Nav real time protection as a first step. I would also like you to post a DxDiag log file. Are you familiar with running dxdiag.exe? You simply type "dxdiag" from the run window and click on the save button to save a text file. Please attach that text file in a reply so I can see your driver settings.

Alright number6:

I reinstalled NAV 2003 and disabled auto-protect, script-protect-thing and LiveUpdate, and Emperor refuses to load. I even tried ending those processes and Emperor still did not load.

What is this ~ef7194.tmp that loads up while Emperor is loading/running. Perhaps NAV 2003 is stopping that file from functioning properly [just a guess].

I've also attached my DirectX Diagnostic report.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your time and effort :)

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Can anybody help me, I can't play Emperor: Battle for Dune with Norton's Internet Security and Antivirus. I contacted EA and we went through all the steps and noticed Norton's has to be completely uninstalled for me to play. Symantec is clueless on the fact. Here is a copy of my DX config.

Can anybody help me, I can't play Emperor: Battle for Dune with Norton's Internet Security and Antivirus. I contacted EA and we went through all the steps and noticed Norton's has to be completely uninstalled for me to play. Symantec is clueless on the fact. I'm using XP Upgrade and Norton's Upgrade from 2002. Here is a copy of my DX config.

OK friends, here's what you've been waiting for!...

After completely disabling NAV 2003 (by disabling auto-protect, email scanning, script blocking and automatic LiveUpdate) and stopping related processes from loading at XP's startup, I was able to coax Emperor to load long enough so that Windows could generate a log of the error. I've attached that log file if anyone feels like ciphering through it to find out what is causing the problem (I was unable to do that).

In the meanwhile, while browsing Westwood's FTP looking for maps, I found and downloaded EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP. This update fixed some compatibility issues between Emperor and certain makes of CD/DVD/CDR drives [the readme says]. Along with the readme, I also found a SETUP.EXE and EMPEROR.EXE within the zip file. Then I said to myself: what the heck, nothing else has fixed the problem ... why don't I try replacing my EMPEROR.EXE with the one in EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP and guess what ... EMPEROR: BATTLE FOR DUNE LOADED PERFECTLY!!!

My next step was to enable all of NAV 2003 services and try Emperor, and again, Emperor loaded successfully.

I have a feeling that this fixed EMPEROR.EXE is probably closely related to a NoCD fix, but Emperor still asked for the Atreides Disc when starting my Atreides campaign, so it's not quite a NoCD fix. I assume that the reason why some of you who did get Emperor to work with NAV 2003 are probably running the game with a NoCD/fixed EXE.

Anyway, if you're having problems with Emperor: Battle for Dune and Norton AntiVirus 2003, just replace your EMPEROR.EXE with the one found in EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP and, hopefully, everything will be fine :)

You can get EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP off Westwood's FTP:

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP

Enjoy everyone and thanks for all your help ;)

• 2 weeks later...