Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Hey, long time no see, sorry to ask but did you find after all a definitive way to avoid the crashes with a voodoo3 3000?

Thanx

Guest akamsg101

Doc, Remember me? I got all the sound card and video card driver files reinstalled and did the last procedure you told me ,but i still get that error msg...the attempt to change the OS falied because that disk is to old and the cpu locked up when starting it. I half to get another way to update "everything" in order for it to run. Anywayz do you know anything or any other way to fix my problem?

Well i have to say... Thanx. You finally saved me... I'm a Dune saga lover but i haven't benn able to play well (if you check old pages of this post, you will find me...).

Thanx to Nyar, and all of the others that made my happiness something accomplished...

Yes Caca we did..

Driver version 1.04 and the option(s) -c and/or+w behind the games shortcut. If you need this fix and are looking for the drivers, go to:

www.xs4all.nl/~sascho Go to the "General issues" and look under point 4. You'll find several sites there where you can get Voodoo drivers.

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest Cannibal Snowman

Doc, I found out what my problem is. I have to get a new video card. either that or get an upgraded version of the one i have.

akamsg, I still do remember almost everyone that posted in this thread :)

About your problem..

Try to do the following(asuming you still run Windows ME):

1) Set your display adapter to defaul VGA (uninstall drivers first).

2) Reboot in safe mode.

4) Delete the ddraw & ddraw16 dll files.

5) Make sure you've downloaded DirectX 8.1 from Microsoft's website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/drx81.asp

6) Install DirectX 8.1

7) Reboot in normal mode

8) Reinstall the latest video driver.

9) Reboot in normal mode, run Dxdiag and see if the ddraw test still fails.

"Doc" Nyar...

Cannibal, check out the following page:

www.xs4all.nl/~sascho. Look under "General issues", number 18. I do not know what brand your video card is, but it handles about a Creative Banshee. It might be worth checking..

If it fails, keep me updated if you try another video card !

"Doc" Nyar...

1569 and rising 40 pages long!!! plz tell me this thread will be moved to the new site!! cant lose it!! this one is a record breaker! cant anyohter thread beat it!!

hav eyou thanked ur Doc today?

"ya hya chouhada"

"ya hya chouhada"

"ya hya chouhada"

hey doc i wasnt blaming gob or anything, dont know if i gave that impression... if need be i will save this thread page by page in html ( ithink thats format gob said to) untill we can get it moved... (i have the space on my comp no need to worry) a tech forum over there would be awesome!! talk to gob and if gob needs me to save it i will. the 2 threads i think should be moved are this one and the xpack one. maybe even music on dev desk... he did say they would stop by from time to time maybe it would make his day to see it moved over and remember the good old days of EBFD and scrpe the project they're working on now and do a Dune #4 :D

[This message has been edited by djcid (edited 04-12-2002).]

Dj, if it get's closed, so be it.. I don't want anyone to blame Gob if there's no way of converting this thread.. If it's not possible, I'll start a new thread on the new message boards.. Maybe I can talk Gob into a tech forum..

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest Cylor856

Remember me...? Sorry for the long absence, but I've had a... LOT... of other things to deal with lately. But I'll spare you all my Tales of Woe and cut straight to the point.

If you recall, I haven't been able to play Emperor on my HP Pavilion under Windows XP with a Viper II video card. Well I *finally* had the opportunity to test a different video card... and guess what, the game worked. So now I am looking at getting a new video card... and if I'm going to upgrade, then I want to go all the way, and get the best card I can find for my money. Any suggestions?

Hey Cylor, I would suggest to check some stats and tests that have been done on several cards. Go to:

www.tomshardware.com

Asking someone else what they would buy is getting that persons opinion.. On the site you'll find several tests and you will be able to make up your own mind :)

If it's opinions you want, I would recommend Nvidia chipset anyway. Best you can buy from that would be the GeForce 4. A competitor would be the ATI readon 8500, but I've heard (not officially seen anywhere) that it has several problems with it's drivers..

I hope the above helped you a little bit..

"Doc" Nyar...