Iraq Issues

There was another massacre in march by US soldiers

Funny, at first they said that the building collapsed which killed them, then the BBC figured out that the house was on fire and the people were shot.

Wonder how many other incidents of massacre go unnoticed? I'm guessing lots.

However, Iraqi police said 11 civilians, including five children and four women, were shot and killed by US troops who then blew up the building.

Good thing they blew up the building to try to cover it up.

"A former us soldier who deserted and came to canada said his drill sargent during training in California said to shoot Iraqis, then place a gun by them and say nothing ever happened"

Just saw that on CBC news.

"Killing terrorists only breed more, and they can keep on killing them until there is not one human left on this planet..."

Only if it comes to that.

and about the shooting civilians thing, im not for it... but knowing that anyone who walks up to me could detonate and take me and anyone next to me with them isnt a good thought. I figure seeing friends, family, and squad mates die kinda makes humanity seem kinda worthless and you prolly wouldnt give a **** about much after that.

Once again the silly Americans still think that RCMP wear red suits while on duty...

(on international cnn page)

rcmp9xu.th.png

Trust me, if we "silly Americans" cared about the RCMP then maybe CNN would change it (but of course....we dont)

• 1 month later...

In the Vietnam War:

"58,226 U.S. soldiers were killed in action or classified as missing in action. A further 153,303 U.S. military personnel were wounded, for a total casualty count of 211,529. The United States Army took the majority of the casualties with 38,179 killed and 96,802 wounded; the U.S. Marine Corps lost 14,836 killed and 51,392 wounded; the U.S. Navy 2,556 and 4,178; the U.S. Air Force 2,580 and 931; and the Coast Guard 7 and 60."

Granted, that's the 11 years between 1964 and 1975, but that's only 3 times the length of the Iraq War when the casualties are on an order of 30 times greater than the Iraq casualties. Not exactly comparable. But wait, we aren't total bastards, because;

"During and after the Vietnam War, an estimated 3 million Vietnamese fled the country, ending up in refugee camps. Most camps were in Hong Kong and Thailand. About 1.2 Million Vietnamese relocated to the United States. Australia and France accepted many immigrants as well. Other countries received smaller numbers.

The Overseas Vietnamese community fled their home country for various reasons, including the poor human rights situation, political corruption, and lack of economic opportunity. When the conflict in Vietnam ended, nearly all of the Vietnamese who had fled chose not to return because of the harsh political policies that the new Communist government put into place."

Because once the US left, no one wanted to live in that country. Bear in mind how much more wildly hated we were in Vietnam than in Iraq... I'll bet you we'll see some immigration at the end of this war as well.

I would also strongly urge individuals living in the United States not to directly compare anything to Vietnam when a known Vietnam veteran is present. At the very least, you will be broadsided with a torrent of "Oh, and how would you know what Vietnam looked like?" and at the very worst you might be slapped.

That must have been petty freaky. I have a book, the Tunnel Rats of Cu Chi, describes in detail the conditions of fighting in the tunnels and the history of the tunnels. Must have been pretty dashed up down there - many tunnels no wider than 2 1/2 feet, and no higher than 3. And you couldn't bring down any gear or powerful weapons down there, since there was so little space to maneuver - it was usually just a shirt, a knife, a flashlight, and a pistol, right? And most tunnel rats were volunteers, since no-one wanted to take the job because of the crazy psychological impact it could have on you. The VC booby-trapped everything - I even remember reading at a bamboo stick poking out of the ceiling of a tunnel that had a snake somehow attached to it - when the bamboo stick was disturbed, the snake got free and bit the unfortunate soldier. And then you have the wired grenades, the VC waiting with spears and guns at the bottom of the entrance to the tunnel for you to squirm down so that they can shoot or stab you in the groin.... Craaazy stuff.

Well, ex, that's different if he initiates it himself, but you'd have to agree its pretty arrogant for people of our generaiton to say, with that knowing look, "Oh man, this looks like 'Nam" when no such invitation to make the comparison was solicited. I mean, if he's your dad and he says it himself, then that's fine. That's exactly what he should be doing with his experience. But if you go into Veteran's Affairs and start talking about how much this looks like Da Nang or Hill 352, people are going to tell you to go do something to yourself.

Whenver I say It looks like vietnam, i don't mean the casulty figures. I mean the fact that no one knows when its going to be over besides "when its over!". The iraqinazation of iraq is vary comparable to the vietnamization of south vietnam during the nixon administration imo.

Devil: Yeah, and the US would have to distinctly prop up the other side.

Ex: Show me a war where that wasn't true. If I told you, "Okay guys, we're leaving October 10. After that, we pull out, no more war!" the insurgency sits there and says, "well, okay, wait 'till October 10 and then we can kill all the [insert ethnic group of choice] at our leisure." The concept of "knowing when the war will be over" is flawed. If you are referring, however, to the strategy for making it more over, i.e. winning it, then that's a different debate. And that debate is about tactics which, (looks for West Point grads) is something I doubt we have the qualifications to discuss.

• 1 month later...

Man dying in a pool of blood on a busy street in Baghdad and nobody stops to help

As I took a right turn on Munadhama Street, I saw a man lying on the ground in a small pool of blood. He wasn't dead.

The idea of stopping to help or to take him to a hospital crossed my mind, but I didn't dare. Cars passed without stopping. Pedestrians and shop owners kept doing what they were doing, pretending nothing had happened.

Now that is progress!