EMp doesn't work in Win2k?

Lazer32

Well I recently got dual processors and win2k and my emporer battle for dune game won't run, it'll start up but when it gets to the part where the westwood ball comes up it exits to desktop.  Help?  LeathalLzr4@hotmail.com

It's not Windows 2000, but your dual processors that are the problem. I've heard of other people with dual processors having the same problem you have, Lazer, but I don't know what the solution is.  Maybe someone else on these boards knows how to fix that.

Yep, throw away the second processor ;D

Win2K isn't your problem as Taqwa11 mentioned, Emperor however isn't programmed to work on a dual processor system.

Not that is is my problem or any of my buisiness, but why do you have a dual processor computer to play games on ? That is one of the worst combinations you can get, most games won't run, won't run propperly or run slower then on a singel processor.

You benefied from a dual when you'r running a server or run grafical software that has been written for duals, else [ and for home use ] you are better of with just one processor.

NO NO NO, IT ISN'T THE DUAL PROCESSORS...IT IS WIN2K....wait... well it's both! I get the EXACT problem with win2k, and I have a single processor (except mine freezes at ww symbol instead of crash to desktop)

Nyar tells me it's probably because i don't have enough memory to run emp on win2k (i only got 128mb PC133) And I know win2k is a real biatch when it comes to using system resources

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried to set the processor affinity to your primary CPU? Some games have a cow when you dont force all of their threads to run on one CPU, also, make sure your video driver is set to work on the Primary CPU. If all else fails, forcing the game to use Win98 compatibility mode will make the game load all threads and processes onto your primary CPU. ( to make a program use win98 compatibility mode, right click on the shortcut, go to properties, and check the compatibility tab). I got Emperor to work on my quad and dual CPU rigs running win2k SP2, I just had to set CPU affinity for the quad, and compatibility mode on the dual. Also, you'll need at least 512MB of ram, the win2k multi CPU kernel is very resource intensive. :P

Good Luck, i know this fixes my problems with machines using Intel Sitka (Quad pIII) and Tyan Thunder K7 (Dual AMD) motherboards, but solutions vary, and some may just absolutly hate EBFD. (Oh, did you install motherboard specific miniport/AGP drivers?)