Dune Risk

nampigai

When to give a player his card is a matter of preference to you Andrew as gamewise the end of one turn is the begining of another. Since the player has no decisions to make between the end of his first turn and the start of his next, there's no great advantage or disadvantage in either.

I would like to reccomend that turn orders should be restricted to a single posting if possible. This serves two purposes. For one it greatly expedites speed of play, particularly as it minimised the amount of editing and responding on part of the GM. In addition to that, as the 1-post rule would inevitably allow only a single attack per army per turn, it prevents the tactic of "stacking" huge armies in a single region and hitting a string of relatively lightly defended regions, gaining a continent or two in the span of a single turn.

I can recall one game of Risk! I played in which I placed a massive army in Alaska, took North America, South America, and then on to half of Africa.

Yes, I beleive a person can attack a territory, win but can not attack from it in the same turn.

Sorry I Most likely will not update game until Tuesday, as I have around 7 assignments/essays due on Monday/Tuesday that I haven't started.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to intrude guys but I would like to share another map that could be used in the next round of Dune Jihad. As long as Andrew oks it. I was searching around and lookie at what I found. [attachment archived by Gobalopper]

• 2 months later...

Erm...whatever happened to this? Is it still going, or what? :-

Not going.

Well it has stopped seeminly for a while now, for several reasons. It was a bit slow of a process (but very good for it)

I also had less time for it as I am now at home and not in apartment with high speed internet (now got dialup)

maybe start it back up in september or so :)

I just seen Bashar online :)

I was thinking it would be easier if an editing team just made it into a real game when they get time (cant be that hard ;) ), instead of what it was (check other threads in this board relating to it [Dune Jihad] )

Glad you were interested.

I beleive the website is still active [but not updated since the moveover] at different areas.

http://www.freewebs.com/andrewabc/index.htm

http://xdune.tripod.com/index.html

http://users.eastlink.ca/~sherrya/jihad/main.html

surprisingly Eastlink has not shut it down even after I stopped paying (although I can not upload/edit anything)

Uh oh, I've been spotted. <g> This is actually the only FED2k forum I check on a semi-regular basis.

When you say make it into a "real" game, how exactly do you envision that? With a website and some sort of page a person can submit orders from? It's a little beyond my own abilities as I don't really program internet applications.

In my opinion, the previous method was probably the most efficient in the short term. The rules were developed with an eye towards expediency.

--Bashar

Well I figured if the Editing Team can make a 3d(?) real time strategy game (like Dune 2000) or so, then it should be easier to make a 2d game of Risk.

And they would not need to make an A.I., as it could be an online game only. They are attempting to make a server similiar to Westwoods server for emperor games, so people can meet up and play games and I think it would be also possible for Dune Jihad, if it were made into a real game that is not as text based as it is now.

:)

It would be nice.

• 1 month later...

Is this still going?

I was winning aswell :(

Not now. Maybe in September / October (October most likely) if I can somehow simplify it.

It is quite a bit of work updating everything after someones turn was up, and then there were the glitches that have to be resolved.

Be better as an online real game. Instead of text.

• 2 months later...

I am currently making a Dune Jihad website (basicly reopening previous one), in a similiar manner that Sedermia format is in (HTML wise). Then hopefully when that is sorted out, fix some problems with the game (mostly rules I can think of).

Once that is done maybe preliminary game again. :)

Although there are no definite details of when/if I will do this.(working on website format now though, to look better)

If anyone has suggestions/questions feel free to ask.

Also because the game was not perfect. :)

Which is what the first round was for.

Someday I will go through the other Jihad threads and go over the rules.(unless someone else wants to.)

If anyone has any ideas on how to automate the turns it would be nice.

Here is the new webpage that is still being worked on. Improvements are: Frames, background, will be more "clean".

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/~sherrya/jihad/

Which looks a lot better than the old one. :D

http://users.eastlink.ca/~sherrya/jihad/main.html

I updated the webpage a bit more, and fixed some rules(added stuff that was not added from threads)

The main problem with the single post per turn option, is the moving armies at end of turn.

After a battle, you may change your mind about how many/where you want to move armies.

Although it is possible to have a 2 posts per turn, first post is for everything, and second post is for moving armies, although it will take longer to get through turns with 2 posts per turn.

Suggestions/corrections?

That's the problem with it being text based, you have to wait until the user comes online and replies. Have no real idea, unless if someone is offline another person can post for them (kinda like 2 people per team, using same resouces). But that would more than likely cause problems between the teamates.

The only solution is if it were made into a real electronic game. so players could play in "real time" and connect to each other and game would go quicker. To solve it with it being a text based forum posting game is hard. :(

And unless someone here has some skills with java applets or something like that, and making forms, where the moves can be filled in, it stays text-based.

I don't have any further ideas about optimalizing that at the moment...

It would be nice if it would auto update itself when someone were to send a form or something.

Well since we all agree that it takes a long time to update a single turn or two, while we wait for a solution does anyone see anything wrong/missing with the rules? Did I miss any rules or changes that we made in the threads? (some may not have been adopted that were posted)

I also updated the stats page a bit, have not figured out the tables 100% perfect, although they are very viewable (just the top right corner has a little glitch)

If anyone knows the names to some places for stats page it would be nice. (although I looked on a couple maps for names but there were none to associate a territory with.)

Should we remove the attack a territory from multiple territories at once option? It creates some issues, but they could be resolved.

Hehe, maybe once the rules and such are fixed/permanent, I will print the map/rules/everything and get my friends to play it. Although they like to go on about me and Dune (as none of them have any idea about it.)

That could fix the problems in real time, although We would need some real risk army figurines. ;)

If anyone else has lots of spare time and likes to play board games, try it with people!

• 1 month later...