Dune Risk

nampigai

is it possible to have a map from the game Dune1? that map is sectioned off. and i do have a map of arrakis form the first dune book in pdf format.

here is a pic of it. (jpg) I can zoom in on pdf format and make all words clearer, but dint think to past a bunch of pics. for now just the big pic to see what we think

oh and risk 2 is a game that microprose released in '99 or something like that and is a good risk game.

I deleted the attachment

Hmm, this is a map of the northpole.

I think we can better play on a map of the entire Arrakis

But in normal risk you has seas to make some difference in the regions. Maybe we should add unpassable rocks and 'seas of worms'

yes but most of the rest of the planet is a wasteland and there isnt much else. me look closer for more maps.

Here is a closer look of part of the map, as you can see it would be possible to make regions and label them.

Here is a good map of arrakis.

and if the first link doesnt work go to the main page, and look for map.

http://www.dunemessiah.com/graphics/L_Dune_Map.jpg

or here

http://www.orlok.co.uk/dune/map_enhancement.htm

I am currently editing a map in which i hope to achive a risk type game.

I deleted the attachment

ok, here is an edited map. i have drawn red lines around boundaries(the ones already there) the green lines are for outer or secluded parts that can be part of the map in a different way. will keep working on it and divide the parts in "countries" and post what i get.

I am thinking that the pyon villages, sietchs and botanical stations could represent the # of armies you recieve per turn or something. the botanical stations could represet cards or something

you mean you liked the board game more than the one i was drawing on real dune map.

ok, when i get time(when i finish english) i will attempt to draw from scatch a dune map that coheres with the real dune map. (ie places, geographic). so you want around 50 countries? or exactly 50, because it is a divisible #?

just getting as much info to do best job. once map is drawn(somewhat) then you could make up rules(unless rules have to do with terrain).

of course the map wont be comprised of all squares or geometric figues.(duh)

there goes me being inovative :P

anyway good job by finding this Andrew I'll print it out when I can get to a computer connected to a printer (obviously)

I think I'll write a mail to Hasbro asking if they have any of them left, allthough I don't think they do

I meant exactly vice versa. Your map was better. It was more dune like. And the other was too cartoonish.

And when you can make 50 regions and nice colors, you are doing a great thing.

Don't forget that there must be 'seas' (no-mans-land) too

But when you remove those lines (for degrees) it will be better

ok, so i shouldnt start form scratch them?yes, i could possibly wipe out the lines of latitude, by filling them in with dune colors. and could make up some zones, also the "no mans land could also have transportation, kinda like the paths between Greenland and icland in risk.(across water)

just got idea, that we could use miniseries pics, for cards or whatver.

You mean the images of what were infantery cavalry and artillery. Look at one of my previous posts. I have put some nice pics over there.

And the army picture ofcourse. Note to your map. You must be able to determine which region belongs to who.

ok, i couldnt get those links to "work" i copied the whole link and no pic came up just one of those icons that means there is no pic.

and i started to delete some lines(very badly though), and i will try to do something about distinguishing counties. (maybe make up own or something)

here is a preliminary pic of me getting rid of some lines.(didnt get middle part of lines i did get rid of)

EDIT - i will replace the old pic here with a new one (unless i am doing somthing big change) there are now no lines(except the circle ones)......................................nevermind, since it is copyrighted....ok, Bashar, you can e-mail me yours, i will IM you now with my e-mail adress.

I would like to point out that the initial image provided by Andrew, with slight color editing by him, is copyright Alex Dunkel who has asked that it no be copied for public view. Mr. Dunkel stated specifically on his website the following:

The Map of Arrakis - I made this in December of 1996, and it took me over a total of 50 hours to turn it from a terrible scan into what it is now. Also, Gully Foyle took the time to colorize it so that it wouldn't just be in black and white. We both would prefer that you not copy it. I'm very sensitive about this one after all the time I've put into it. If you're wanting a copy of it to use as a background to your computer, then please download Mr. Foyle's Dune theme for Windows '95, which contains the map as a background along with several sounds and images borrowed from these pages.

I am normally not such a stickler for such things; however, being as he *has* provided the finest map of Arrakis' northern hemisphere available, I think we owe it to Mr. Dunkel to respect his wishes. It might be easier to obtain Orlok's permission to use a variation of his map.

Note though that the map itself is copyright, I believe (Gob can correct me if I'm wrong), the Herbert Limited Partnership, who thus far hasn't complained to anyone for using the map for non-profit purposes. I'm just touchy about blatantly proliferating Dunkel's image while he specifically requested that this not be done.

For the past year I have been tinkering with a Dune board game of my own. My primary obsticle, though, was the creation of a board (the second obsticle was preventing the game from becoming too complex, which is always a fear when a programmer is lead designer).

Anyway, Andrew, if you like I would be willing to e-mail you my attempt at a board. It's only about 20% done but I've de-colorised Dunkel's map, erased the longitude lines, and started sectioning off zones of control. A difficult part will be sectioning off the desert areas and individually naming them. In this respect, if might be easier just to adopt the map from Avalon Hill's Dune game. I could not do this for my own game because my rules require considerably more zones than it provides.

--Bashar

Nah, we just make our own. Do we?

we could make our own, it would be harder but possible. i would just look at the pics of the dune planet map and make something from it.

the final version of the edited one is updated in my last post. will take it down soon as everyone has seen.

nevermind it has already been deleted, but the link to it is still there.

I think somebody had the idea of using a variation of the map from Cyro's original Dune game? I haven't played that game in years but it sounds like a viable option as well, though I might edit out the "fish", or whatever that was, out of the sand.

Does anyone remember if the zones in that game were individually named? Those names might be very useful as well. Believe me, it's a lot easier to draw lines on a map than to fill them in. <g>

<added text>

I created the zones on my board with an eye towards naming and each one as it exists now has a name. That's why it is only (very) partially completed, though. I was afraid I might have to start creating desert names such as Funeral Plain 1, Funeral Plain 2, etc.

<end added text>

--Bashar

I can provide the background.

I will show it later, when I have altered the pictures of the special units too

you mean te backround color?i was looking for a backround color. then I would draw up the boundaries and other stuff?

So i take it we are starting a totally new map? sounds good. (unless you mean backround color for bashars map)

It was more like a background picture. Sandcolors. But you have draw programs which lets you easily attach that if you have left the background white

Take a look at this:

www.xs4all.nl/~kkptt/dunerisk/DuneMap.jpg

And this are the pictures for the units which will provide the bonuses:

DuneSoldier.jpgSandBuggy.jpgOrnithopter.jpg

You can find them all here:

www.xs4all.nl/~kkptt/dunerisk/