There is now a page related to EMC format:

http://republika.pl/minniatian/Dune2/INDEX.HTM [original link - not working]

archived copy from the Wayback Machine

You will find there a fast guide, package to alter

EMC files with... notepad, and working

patch replacing one file: build.emc, which features are:

- trivial damage of structures no more (does not include caused by low-power),

- rocket turret range decreased,

- units repaired are always carried on battlefield if there's free carry-all (no need to surround)

If you're still playing Dune2 (are there such people?) then this patch is a must  biggrin.png

Hi minniatian! I tried your patch, and I love it, especially the Carryall improvement and no trivial damage (makes the AI a LOT harder to beat when all its buildings are still at full health after 30 minutes of playing ;))

I do think you decresed the Rocket Turret range by 1 cell too much, it seems to have very small range now.

• 2 weeks later...
I do think you decresed the Rocket Turret range by 1 cell too much, it seems to have very small range now.

It is now 7.75 (original was 8) (not for download yet).

I think it works fine. Thank you for beta-testing!!!

any chance of a linux port?

Oh my, I wish if I could. Besides that I do know nothing about Linux, my Dune 2 "cracks" are very messy. But if You think it's useful I could publish the parts that are hardware-independent and complete, and ..someday.. we will make a working thing. It's very hard to translate all to C. (variable names etc).

It is now 7.75 (original was 8) (not for download yet).

I think it works fine. Thank you for beta-testing!!!

any chance of a linux port?

Oh my, I wish if I could. Besides that I do know nothing about Linux, my Dune 2 "cracks" are very messy. But if You think it's useful I could publish the parts that are hardware-independent and complete, and ..someday.. we will make a working thing. It's very hard to translate all to C. (variable names etc).

What about the carryall bug? :)

Hmm. After some testing I think it's not a bug in the script.

With original script even full repaired units need few credits anyway to leave the facility.

Do the unit get stuck only when You are out of credits?

Hmm. After some testing I think it's not a bug in the script.

With original script even full repaired units need few credits anyway to leave the facility.

Do the unit get stuck only when You are out of credits?

Definitely a bug - when I build stuff around my repair facility, it doesn't happen. The unit gets stuck no matter how many credits I have. First the building repairs it, then a Carryall comes to take it away, hovers over the facility for a few seconds and flies away...then whenever a unit needs to be repaired the Carryalls come, hover over the unit, and leave because the repaired unit is still in the repair facility.

As I said before, I go through 6 or 7 repair facilities in some missions...

Hopefully I found the reason!!

It was the troublesome "VerifyAtch()" function which purpose is still unclear to me (AFAIK it is used to remove sth like "obsolete attachments" - hmm maybe the carryall is disattached by an accident).

I removed it and it still works fine. But to be pretty sure could you please send me the Savegames where units get stuck?

Your savegames helped me a lot, Will! The solution was not to remove the function but to change its

place in script. Now Repair Facility handles carryalls the same way like original Refinery, which means should not cause any problems. Thanks for turning it out.

Now version 1.2 of the patch is available on my site which has less reduced r-turret range and the above bug removed completely.

BTw i think stefan is able to port his code easily

port into linux? I don't know; i know the library for putting graphics and using sounds is linux portable for sure, but i don't know if my code is 100% easy portable. However, whenever its done, the source will be released and i will ask some allegro dudes to fix that up for me.

• 6 years later...

The program there doesn't seem to be able to decode unit.ecm correctly...

Maybe you could just distribute a modified version of the program that dumps the specific unit routine names as "routine #00" to "routine #64" or something instead of trying to put the build.emc routines in there. Right now it shows the obvious results of reading past the end of an array, and dumps all kinds of nonsense in there.

• 4 months later...

Yes. So? The topic was being discussed again, so it seemed relevant. Besides, you're bumping a 4-mnonth old thread now :P

So? The chance of the person writing to reading it is a bit slim.

Yeah, I thought there was a bug in the warning code, but it was indeed 4 months old already.

• 4 weeks later...

I've removed Minniatian's patch from it, though.

Working wonderfully, except turrets and r-turrets don't shoot anymore. At all. They don't even aim anymore.

Does this always happen, or does it only happen on a saved mission that you started before installing the patch?

Minniatian's patch is based on BUILD.EMC from v1.0. In v1.07, BUILD.EMC is a bit different, this is why I never risked installing it over v1.07, but rather edited the v1.07 BUILD.EMC to incorporate most changes (except the no-decay stuff). This modified BUILD.EMC is included in Dune 2 eXtended MAIN.PAK.

• 1 year later...

If this was already bumped after 6 years, i guess no one will mind just 1 single year :P

yeah, the decay is kinda meant to be that way...

But eventually this feature also got included in your fix, right? Game seems much better now without that pointless and annoying "chek buildings hp and repair them all" routine

As for the "from repair back to battlefiled" feature, any chance it also get included? Its very frustrating to have to design my base so repair goes in the middle of other buildings, like exploiting a bug. And i also lose the ability to repair Harvesters. And no, i will NOT waste a unit as a "door" for the repair facility. Too much micromanagement, and besides, thats lame.

MrFlibble removed that because sometimes, when a Carryall is on its way to pick up the unit from the repair bay, but the unit comes out anyway, the carryall is then stuck with that order and stops listening to other pickup requests.

That, and besides, this "fix" made the game way too easy :)