Fiction Comments Go Here

Gobalopper

There will never be enough stupid in the world, will there? :)

Edit:

A question about the definition of "fan fiction" here (unrelated to the fun thread discussed above): If something is not Dune book- or game-related, if it's an original story set in an original universe, and moreover, if the writer has published the same or related content in book form elsewhere, how is that <b>fan fiction</b>?

Just wondering. ;)

• 1 month later...

So pleased you like it. ;D

We've actually got a few other ideas hanging around as well, but sadly Dragoon is a bit- *snort* a bit bus- *chortle* a bit busy at the moment. But once he stops being so *chuckle* busy we can resume work.

• 1 month later...

So ... I've got a question or two for The Lady Hwi about her "fan fiction" here:

How much of what you have posted here is different from what one would find in your published book, <em>The Van Laven Oath</em> (Infinity Publishing, Feb. 2006)?

That publication date is interesting, seeing how your profile says you joined here in April 2006, the very next month. (By the way, did you really just join, lurk for a few days and then start posting your fanfic without any sort of "mind if I dump some things here" prelude or even a "Hi, I'm Hwi, how are y'all?" greeting, or were the posts from your first week somehow deleted?)

Just something I've been wondering about for a while. :)

So ... I've got a question or two for The Lady Hwi about her "fan fiction" here:

How much of what you have posted here is different from what one would find in your published book, <em>The Van Laven Oath</em> (Infinity Publishing, Feb. 2006)?

That publication date is interesting, seeing how your profile says you joined here in April 2006, the very next month. (By the way, did you really just join, lurk for a few days and then start posting your fanfic without any sort of "mind if I dump some things here" prelude or even a "Hi, I'm Hwi, how are y'all?" greeting, or were the posts from your first week somehow deleted?)

Yes, that's something I've been wondering myself, since I searched for the main characters names' in Google a couple of years ago.

I may be missing something here but if the book came out in February then April is two months after its release, plenty of time for someone to have read the material and decided they wanted to write some fan fiction.  Is there any reason to believe Hwi is the original author other than she wrote fan fiction in the same universe?  And if it turns out she is the same author, um, then so what?  Good on her for getting published.  Kinda surprised she'd write more of her story on an internet message board though, I'd think that'd cause some issues with publishing rights, but it's not my book.

Edit:  I see Hwi does state she wrote the original novel in that thread, my mistake.  Kinda shocked that her publisher was down with her writing all her story on an internet message board.  Gob's not gonna get a random e-mail from the company suing him for copyright infringement, is he?

Pardon me, but how could this possibly be of interest to you? :)

Gob's not gonna get a random e-mail from the company suing him for copyright infringement, is he?

I, alone, own the copyright to

Thank you, Mahdi.  And yes, my first novel was self-published, which among other things, allowed me to retain all rights.  As soon as the first copies came off the press, I sent two to the U.S. Library of Congress

Ah, right, Mahdi, it's more like a month and a half. The Amazon entry for the book says it was published at the end of February.

Yes, that's something I've been wondering myself, since I searched for the main characters names' in Google a couple of years ago.

That's how I happened across this, too, googling the character names to see what <b>real</b> book the supposed "fan fiction" was based on.

Pardon me, but how could this possibly be of interest to you? :)

Oh, well excuse me, Your Highness, but I have no control over the things that strike me as interesting. Or amusing. :)

You call it your "first" novel. Does that mean there's really a sequel in the ole pipes? Or something on a different topic, perhaps?

Strictly interested in the process, mind you. And what, by the way, was the purpose of posting the book here again? You didn't address this part of my question, but if your first post here really was of a passage of your book, it might seem as if you had searched the web for forums with fan fiction sections and ended up here. That also strikes me as interesting. Don't you find people's motivations for the things they do interesting?

(If not, why did you ask me why this interests me? :) )

I'm interested to find out more about publishing, because I hope to have some fiction actually finished and ready for publishing some day.

So, would you say that it's a good idea to self-publish? I've heard that sales for self-published books tend to be very low, so it's very rare that self-publishing will help you get anywhere. Is that true? I mean, if your goal is to get as many people as possible to read your work, is self-publishing a good start?

I'm interested to find out more about publishing, because I hope to have some fiction actually finished and ready for publishing some day.

So, would you say that it's a good idea to self-publish? I've heard that sales for self-published books tend to be very low, so it's very rare that self-publishing will help you get anywhere. Is that true? I mean, if your goal is to get as many people as possible to read your work, is self-publishing a good start?

Well, I wanted my novel in print as soon as possible and did not want to go through the agonizing process of submitting the manuscript to multiple publishers hoping and praying that one of them would be interested enough to publish it.  If, however, you feel that your story is truly unique and would really grab their attention, you might want to try conventional route first.  Of course, self-publishing requires an upfront fee, but if your novel is any good, you

Astute visitors may have noticed that a new thread has popped up in the forum. Warlords - 5 years later has launched. You can find a summary of the thread's background at the end of the first post. It's set up as a narrative rather than a competition, but I want to emphasise that it's very much open to further participation. People who can demonstrate a degree of writing skill, and who feel confident about participating, are welcome to join in.

I'm also considering a system whereby people who want to take part but feel they cannot (whether through lack of time, ability or whatever) could be written in by Dragoon or myself. Probably me. The only stipulation I'd make is that this would not be a situation where you could control the character completely and issue instructions, more one where you give us permission to use your name, perhaps a few pointers, and we just run with it. If you don't like what 'you' do, you can withdraw permission to use the name. I might even request permission from a few people that I think could further the plot, but that's still being mulled over.

• 1 month later...

I'm reading it, and I really look forward to the next post.

Only the first post about Wolf was a bit confusing, as it wasn't clear at first the story wasn't about Dante. It might have been better to mention Wolf's name a bit earlier in the post. Anyway, enough whining from me. Keep up the good work.