Emprworm's Riddle #17: Mess of Tokens

emprworm

SOLUTION TO THE ACCIDENT

Solution presented by Nema Fakei. Great work, Nema!!

ANSWER:

[hide] We are told that there are skid marks from the right lane that stretch about 30 feet and lead right to where the car was. Additionally, the car struck the tree straight on (front side), telling us that the car was not moving laterally, but forward. Skid marks are caused by friction. When a car slips on ice, it slides out of control due to a complete lack of friction. In the case of an ice patch, a car could slide out of control-- then slide off the ice patch causing skid marks the moment it leaves the ice...but this is ONLY true if the car's wheels are not pointed forward, and the front of the car is pointed in the direction of the cars momentum at the moment it leaves the ice patch. Had the driver hit an ice patch, lost control, then left the ice patch, if the car was pointed sideways, it would have left plenty of skid marks, but it would not have struck a tree head on. If the car was spinning, then the skid marks would not have been straight. The likelihood that the skid marks were caused by ice is very improbable. There is more going on here than the driver is telling us.

[/hide]

• 2 weeks later...

[hide]

To explain what I mean, a diagram

A

/|

/_|

B C

A->B is not a straight line, so ABC isn't even a triangle...

Line A->B bends towards C.

When the shapes are arranged in the second diagram, the new line A->B bends away from C by the same amount of area as the missing square. That is why it is empty.

[/hide]

[hide]What is there to explain? You rearrange the pieces and you get the hole, the light green box has only two boxes long of a "tail" that only the "butt" of the orange box would fit, but in here the "tail" is three boxes and only two fit, giving the extra square blank.[/hide]

to mr. gilbear

[hide] you are labelling lines as AB and C but there are several lines in the diagram. you need to be more specific, if you think a line isn't adding up, you need to say precisely which line, because I have no idea what lines A,B or C are.[/hide]

[hide]

Okay, in the first diagram, A is the top of the blue triangle. B is the external (left) corner of the Red triangle. C is the external (bottom right) corne of the green shape. So ABC is the 'triangle' shape as a whole. I know my picture in the first answer is crude, but...

Anyway, hope this clarifies it enough along with my first answer.

[/hide]

After 30 minutes of hard thinking, I had to draw(in 3dstudio max) what you did to understand. I think I have the solution.

[hide]The two triangles has different curves on the hypothenus(spelling?).(Look at the pictures in my link to understand what I mean)[/hide]

I have laid out my drawings on my webpage.

The links are:

Http://www.cyborgstudios.com/EmprRiddle1.jpg

Http://www.cyborgstudios.com/EmprRiddle2.jpg

Warning: Do not click on these links if you want to find out this riddle yourself

You see, Nema. This is a visual trick. We have difficulties seeing what's wrong at once.

We are supposed to be like this when we look at that picture:

Hey what happened when you moved the triangles??? I can't see why there is a hole here :O!

;D

However, I figured easily by drawing the triangles, though.

SOLUTION TO THE STRANGE TRIANGLES

Although I wanted to give credit to Mr Gilbear but I couldn't because the triangels are not curved. Solution presented by Cyborg, who had a more complete answer.

ANSWER:

[hide]The mysterious extra square sneaks into the picture by hiding in a very clever place: in the thickness of the lines used to draw out the shapes. If the lines were drawn very thin, like they are cyborgs posts, you can see that the shapes don't line up perfectly.

Note the slope of the "large triangle" is 5/13, or .3486. Now measure the slope of the red triangle- it's 3/8 or .375 exactly. Since they don't match, the large triangle is not a triangle at all!

The only way to really see it is to draw it out, like Cyborg did. Way to go, cyborg.

[/hide]