Emprworm's Riddle #17: Mess of Tokens

emprworm

I think I've got it:

[hide]Climb up BOTH ropes. Once you're at the top, first tie both ropes together, then cut them from the metal rings (make sure the resulting single rope goes THROUGH the metal rings, but is not tied to them). Now go back down, making sure you always have both ropes in your hands. Once you're down, pull on one end until you get the entire rope (which used to be 2 ropes) down.

Then tie one end of the rope to one of the metal bars from your window, and throw the other end out the window. You can then climb down from your cell.[/hide]

more detail on the knots

the ropes are tied "firmly" meaning that its a pretty good knot. So good in fact, that untie-ing them is impossible, hence the reason why the riddle says its only 19.5 M to the ground, actually giving you .5 of exceess rope. This .5 M of excess rope is lost because you have to cut your rope(s) prior to any knots.

[hide]

ok, now listen carefully. first you climb up one of the ropes and hold onto the end of the rope while climbing. stick in your pants or something if you can't hold it and climb at the same time. then cut at the very top of the opposite rope. then securly tie the end of the rope your climbing to the one you just cut. then cut the rope your climbing on and hold onto the metal things. then string the ropes through the one ring and pull it so that it's the same length on each side. then slide down it and once you get down pull the rope so it comes down. then you have like 19.7 meters of rope or something. then just climb out. i think that sounds right. the chair is there to tie it to something and teh sink is there to mislead you. or if you get thirsty. or to just raise his water bill ;) just climb out and sue the guy. lol. i might've left something out b/c i was really exited when i realized this. lol. tell me something you don't get and i'll try to explain it to you unles i'm just all out wrong :- i'm the smartest person in teh world. ;D ;D

[/hide]

DAMMIT. you already had that. i didn't read yours. shit shit shit. i thought i was soo smart. well at least give me some credit for thinking the same thing as you. :- i swear to you all i never read his post. i just figured every else got it wrong. well. i came close. gj edric

well this is a suggestion that a friend of mine had when i told him about the riddle. it's pretty 'ok'. lol

[hide]

climb one rope, cut the other. climb back down. tie the rope you just gut to the back of the chair. climb back up, holding the end of the rope you cut in your hand. loop it through the metal ring and pull so that the chair stops it from falling out. switch to the rope attached to the chair and cut down the other one. climb back down and let go of the rope you were on, letting the weight of the chair bring it back down. tie the ropes together and toss them out of the window, using the chair to wedge in the window so the rope won't fall.

[/hide]

smart yes, but not as smart as mine...and edrics......

SOLUTION TO HANGING BY A ROPE

good work ppl, lots of imaginative answers. However, I have to give credit to GoldEagle, he was the first to answer it correctly, though it takes a certain level of professional skill and took me some time to decipher his english to make sure he got all the details correct. good luck on the next one!

ANSWER:

[hide]As some of you figured out, the chair and the sink were just there to throw you off! They have no purpose in solving this riddle. All you need is the knife and some good climbing. Tie the two ropes together. Climb one rope, and at the top, cut the oppositte rope (actually now just one long rope since you tied them together). Thread the side of the rope you just cut through the ring you are currently hanging on until the knot reaches the ring. Now, grab on tightly to the two sides of the rope that are threaded through the ring with one hand, and cut the rope attached to the ring with the other. You can now safely climb down and then pull the 19.5 or so meters of rope through the ring and get the heck out of there. Confused? I drew up some pictures that show this in detail. Go here to see how to do it. http://www.songwave.com/dune/jpgs/challenge/ropecuts/rope.htm [/hide]

yea, i had to spend about 15 minutes getting the 'leetlike' linguistics into a translated form that I could understand

his first answer was unintelligible. I rejected it. But

it was this answer by him that I accepted, once I was able to translate it to english. he he ;D [hide]first, tie both the ropes in the bottom part of them. then climb one of the ropes, when u reach the top, cut the other rope and catch it before it fall down, now pass the cuted rope thru the metal ring tille the tie part reaches the ring, now cut the rope u use and get down using the rope that passed thru the loop and when u down, pull the rope till it falls down and then tie it to one of the broken metal bars on the window and climb down to earth! (lol, the chair and the sink is for u when u tired u go drink water and sit ) [/hide]

yea, i had to spend about 15 minutes getting the 'leetlike' linguistics into a translated form that I could understand

his first answer was unintelligible. I rejected it. But

it was this answer by him that I accepted, once I was able to translate it to english. he he ;D [hide]first, tie both the ropes in the bottom part of them. then climb one of the ropes, when u reach the top, cut the other rope and catch it before it fall down, now pass the cuted rope thru the metal ring tille the tie part reaches the ring, now cut the rope u use and get down using the rope that passed thru the loop and when u down, pull the rope till it falls down and then tie it to one of the broken metal bars on the window and climb down to earth! (lol, the chair and the sink is for u when u tired u go drink water and sit ) [/hide]

But did he get the answer right?

Bah! easy! figured out in 5 mins when I checke it offline lastnight... pity I couldn't post since I had no money on my phone F!@$% phone companies in S.A F!@#% ridiculous cost's of going online ! you, you !'ing compans i'll !'ing burn you !'ing down you !'ing b!t(hes

Anyway.. how do I post in hidden text? <| Use [ hide ] ... [ /hide ] , without the spaces within the [ and ] |>

For now.... DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE RIDDLE FOR YOURSELF

[hide]

Awnser:I position the chair under the rope on the right after which I then start climbing the rope on the right, (from whichever direction the chair doesn't get in the way since I don't need the chair to get onto the rope since the rope is touching the floor) once at the top of the rope on the right, I use my pocket knife to cut down the rope on the left from the metal rings, then I position myself on the rope so that the chair is under me after which I cut the rope I'm clinging from so as to fall on my posterior upon the chair which breaks my fall, then I tie the ropes together and tie the end of the resulting 20m rope to the sink and hang the other end out of the window after which I climb out and have escaped

The only way this could fail is if I broke my bones anyway despite landing on my posterior on the leatherish and sturdy looking chair... in which case.... back to the drawing board:D

[/hide]

<edit>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Goldeagle solved it over night (over here), you b!@t(h:D:D:D (j/k)

Oh well....forgot to tie the chair in my old post anyway.... wouldv'e literally fell on my @$$ and died:D ah well atleast that maniac didn't get to execute me... nananana:D

(Edit)

I was pretty close for my first go though