Dune Legacy News

TonyD

In regards to this issue and my project, I'm not sure what direction I will be going. One one hand I would like the users to be able to select carryalls to give orders, but on the other hand I hate it when I'm selecting a group of units and the carryall flies into the box and is selected, forcing me to either select all the units again or tell the carryall to move to where I'm telling all the units to attack. I think I'm leaning more towards something similar to what Stefan is saying, perhaps a button that the user can press to call an available carryall from which they can give orders. Ornithopters must also be given consideration, and unlike carryalls there is plenty reason to allow the user to select multiple ornithopters.

Keep in mind that while we are all trying to simulate Dune 2, we are also trying to improve it. Sure the users weren't able to select carryalls in the original Dune 2, but they weren't able to select multiple units either - something we'd never go back to.

In regards to this issue and my project, I'm not sure what direction I will be going. One one hand I would like the users to be able to select carryalls to give orders, but on the other hand I hate it when I'm selecting a group of units and the carryall flies into the box and is selected, forcing me to either select all the units again or tell the carryall to move to where I'm telling all the units to attack. I think I'm leaning more towards something similar to what Stefan is saying, perhaps a button that the user can press to call an available carryall from which they can give orders. Ornithopters must also be given consideration, and unlike carryalls there is plenty reason to allow the user to select multiple ornithopters.

An effective solution for this might be for the selection box to only select ground units, but if there are none only select air units, and if there are none select a building. Or if modifier key is pressed, only select one or the other.

I've decided to go with the grid option for flying units. It will save me alot of time and trouble.

hmmmm. Well they are randomly placed so they are pretty much evenly distrubuted about the base. You guys will have to see for yourselves, its a good start nonetheless. I now can see that good placement of defending structures and units will indeed be very difficult.

Anyways I also got the ai defending and rebuilding its base in the original missions. Right now I'm trying to remember the tech levels required for each structure and unit. Does anyone know these? Otherwise I'll have to go through missions to check them.

Heres what I've got so far:

tech 1 - windtrap, refinery, small slab, big slab

tech 2 - radar, silo, WOR, light infantry, trooper

tech 3 - light factory, trike, quad

tech 4 - heavy factory, tank

tech 5 - gun turret, launcher

tech 6 - rocket turret, star port, siege tank

tech 7 - ix, special unit (sonic, devastator, deviator)

tech 8 - palace

Things are looking very good now, the ai is actually quite fun to battle against. Their units now stay together when attacking making a much more efficient strike, and having 5 hard ai players teamed against you is very difficult.

I have fixed many bugs and done various improvements to the game. However, networking won't be working perfectly for a while, so I am wondering if there is enough interest (if any) for me to continue releasing incomplete versions.

I am also trying out tracked units automatically running over infantry targets which is just as fun as it sounds. ;D

Excellent :). I will release an updated version soon then.

BTW stefen, I noticed you have a bit of the westwood intro at the start of your game. I beleive that is encoded in the wsa format isn't it? If so, do you understand its format well? It would be great if I could run the entire dune 2 intro. I also have a great idea for my intro screen too. I could resort to screenshots or I may even have to research the wsa format myself otherwise.

The next version 0.85b is now up! :D.

The best and most exciting change in this version is the completed ai. Try out a custom game against 5 hard ai players (ffa, team or whatever) and it will be fun indeed. The ai players now will build their own base in custom/multiplayer games, and rebuild their bases in the original missions.

Please post any thoughts about it. ;)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

downloading now, great progress you're making TonyD. Unfortunatly i can't work on my project, but this is great. Now i can finally make my own maps and try them out against an AI! :D

edit:

UH OH! I tried to run it, but it does not respond!? Double clicking on the exe file or whatever, no result. I get a bit of 'busy' mouse cursor and then nothing. Nothing happends, no program in my task manager either.. :(

EDIT 2:

I reran the extractor, i found out that some file was not found, so that would be a logical sollution. NOW IT WORKS! w00t.

EDIT 3:

Okay, it works for the menu only :(

Whenever i try a single player game:

- campaign - immidiatly crash (error)

- random map - same

- skirmish (1 easy/normal or hard ai, does not matter) - same crash

all the time i get a 'this program has executed a wrong bla bla bla ' stuff.

I use WIN XP...

I can use the map editor though!

Hmm, I downloaded it and tested on another machine and it seemed to work fine for me. Are you using the new extractor? I can't see any other reason why it would not run. Can you check under the data directory for the graphics, scenario, sound folders to see if everything is there?

Check the stderr.txt file if any info is found there... It may help you figure out whats going on.

I suggest you delete the directory and extract it new, thaats what i do pretty much everytime when on not my machine.