.tga files and icon making

IxianMace

I've looked through several threads in Dune Editing about icons and how to make them, and it seems that programs like Paintshop Pro and Adobe Photoshop etc, etc, are required to make icons for Emperor Battle for Dune. However it was mentioned somewhere that Emperor uses 'standard' targa files for its' icons. If that's the case, then would it work if I simply took a screenshot of a unit, resized it, and then converted it to targa format? What about the grey icons? I'm trying to learn how to make icons now that I've learnt how to mod, but I'm not sure that I have what is needed to do so. Can someone help me please? :( :-

Ok I've managed to make new icons and get them working using Imaging, Paint, and the good old cut, copy, and paste functions, along with ACDSee to convert the files to .tga format. There is just one more thing I need to do though. I need to know how to convert the colored icon to a grey icon, without causing all the different light shades to be the same. I'm downloading Paint Shop Pro 7.04 evaluation version right now, if any one cares. I'll see what I can do with that once the download finishes in about 2 hours, but help or advice would be welcome at this stage.

Are you sure that the icons need to be exactly 64x64 to work in the game? I saw an icon that was larger than that but it still seemed to work in the game. (The icon is in the Dune Blaster mod.) Perhaps the game just resized the icon automatically to fit it in the sidebar panel? :- ???