Your RTS playing history?

Falconius

I have:

Dune II

WarCraft I

Command and Conquer (most recently bought)

WarCraft II*

Red Alert*

StarCraft*

Dune 2000

CnC: Tiberian Sun* (first bought)

Age Of Empires II*

Homeworld (though it doesn't work :P)

Star Wars: Force Commander

Star Trek: Armada

Red Alert 2*

Emporer: Battle for Dune

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds*

WarCraft III (though I sold it back. Was definately NOT worth the $60.)

There may be more...

An asterisk (*) means I have the expansion(s).

I still play them all quite frequently.

Whooohooo, another SMAC player :D

Did you get Alien Crossfire?

Dang, where to begin?

I guess the StarCraft demo on one of my Launch CDs would have been my first RTS. Although I didn't understand it, and disliked it. Other than that:

Warcraft 2 (BNET Edition)

Starcraft (BroodWar)

Sid Mier's Alpha Centauri (Alien Crossfire)

Civilization: Call to Power

Caesar 2

Army Men

Sim City 2000

Dungeon Keeper (1 & 2)

TA Kingdoms

Star Trek: Armada

Star Trek: Starfleet Command

Command & Conquer (Expansions)

Red Alert (Expansions)

Battle Zone

Redline

Gettysburg

SWAT (1 & 2)

Theme Hospital

Dune 2000

Emperor: Battle for Dune

Space Empires (2 & 3)

I don't know what my first RTS was...I think it was Warcraft 2, but I'm not sure. I also have no idea what the dates for these games are.

[edit]Sorry 'bout that, It's Keeper, not "Master", and I forgot to include Space Empires, one of my favorites :)[/edit]

I guess I may be the least experienced RTS player to post so far. Two years ago I bought my first RTS game, Red Alert 2. A friend got me into RTS. I played that until Emperor came out, and I've really only been playing Emperor since then. Looking forward to Generals, you know.

well here's my 2 cents RTS history :

dune2k

C&C

RA

RA2

YURI

Commandos : Behind Enemy Lines

Commandos : Beyond the Call of Duty

Commandos2 : Men of Courage

Close Combat IV : Battle of the Bulge

Close Combat V : Normandy

WC III but I never play it (had enough after 2 campaign missions :-)

Here's my rts story (plus some way too long descriptions)

Dune 2...

Command & Conquer (I played it _once_ at friend and was especially impressed by very smooth unit movement)

Dune 2 :) - After many years I played the game once again and finally finished last mission! (it was easy ;D)

Tiberian Sun - yes, this was my serious first C&C game. I bought it as a present for my brother but he didn't like it. I tested it and.. fell in love for many many months. Discovering new units was the most amazing. I completed all 3 difficulty level couple of times (but it was vacation :)

Dune 2000 - This was released before TS thus I was disappointed that it wasn't in isometric environment as I expected. And the unit movement.. bleh.. :- However I completed all but few ordos missions. I wish that Dune2k could use TS engine.

Red Alert 2 - Shortly after I bought this game (all 3 are original copies) and wasn't much satisfied. The colors looked ugly. However after some time I liked it and completed whole campaigns.

Emperor - When this game was released I had very ancient hardware - pentium 300 w/o 3d card :) and I wished when I could play this game. But happily I got much better hw now (for half a year) and tried the game finally. Hmm.. It looks very good. I completed two and a half campaigns (on normal difficulty). I was very positive surprised by ordos campaign - cool units and imo the best tileset - ordos homeworld. This game has also very unique atmosphere.

Starcraft - Hmmm... I bought in on cheap price just for a look. It looked very strange for a first sight. But then it took me for a while and the control became as comfortable as in Westwood games. In this vacation I played simultanously Emperor and Starcraft :)

Dune 2 - The history likes to repeat itself ;)

I already analyzed mechanisms of one game for Amiga (yes, I'm Amiga fan) about 2 years ago because I finally bought a book about amiga hardware programming. When I got bored (few months) I turned into Dune 2 (started it about a year ago). Recently I've got some mechanisms written in human readable form and probably the most mystery format of EMC files :).

BTW: I found this forum in July because I was looking for

Emperor map editing info on Westwood page.. But the Dune 2 clones attracted me much and finally I found the place to share some gathered info.

WarcraftIII - This is my most recent game. I completed all campaigns at normal level. It has very cool AI and enables you to ally with computer! This was one of my all-time wishes.

My appologies for reviving a dead tread. Didn't feel like starting new one...

Just wanted to say i did celebrate Dune2's 10th release aniv in style. Champaigne ect.

The game had a big effect on my life so i suppose i'd always been expecting a new Dune game to fill the gap that ended being filled by games like StarCraft and now SuddenStrike2.

i noticed there were Dune2 clones being done by people who seemed keen on reliving the original version of RTS. (Good)

Dune2 did more than start a genre.

It was the humble begining of a active pastime that fullfil what i consider a very old craving among intelligent people -> testing your creativity and common sense against that of someone else.

10 years now, my only regret is i've played the computer too often, and i haven't had enough multies.. not remotely enough yet.

WarcraftIII - This is my most recent game. I completed all campaigns at normal level. It has very cool AI and enables you to ally with computer! This was one of my all-time wishes.

Just so you know, with RA2, you can ally with the computer, choose everyones country and color, and the are Difficulty setting for the AI! ::)

you can actually. strange that you never found out, it's kinda easy.

The option however is not found under custom game.

this is what you have to do:

Select multiplayer, and select a network connection or something, so you do not have to connect to the Internet. Create a game, select a map and choose as game type, top vs. bottom.... Press ok. Now you see two teams, you are in the upper team. You can add computers on both your and your enemy team. This way you can thus make 4v4 games if you want.

Few people know that this works but i knew it from the first day i got the patch, you gotta try it. It's a lot of fun.

Few people know that this works but i knew it from the first day i got the patch, you gotta try it. It's a lot of fun.

I knew it. But it does not let you choose starting positions so playing on some maps will be a bit annoying (it's not real top v bottom - the teams are mixed). And the computer won't help you if you're in trouble

But please tell me how can you ally in RA2??

you can actually. strange that you never found out, it's kinda easy.

The option however is not found under custom game.

this is what you have to do:

Select multiplayer, and select a network connection or something, so you do not have to connect to the Internet. Create a game, select a map and choose as game type, top vs. bottom.... Press ok. Now you see two teams, you are in the upper team. You can add computers on both your and your enemy team. This way you can thus make 4v4 games if you want.

WOW! THANKS! :D :D :D YOU JUST GAVE ALL NEW MEANING TO MY LIFE! ;D

Here are the games ive played

Sim City 2000

tiberian sun

diablo 2

emperor:bfd

Age of Empires***

AgeoE2:age o' kings

star wars rogue squadron

Elite Force

homeworld

Star trek armada

armada 2 demo :)

Unreal Tourney

Civilization 3

*******Age of Mythology*******

(aom.heavengames.com)<---go there!!!

have a nice day, that is all i can remember.