Should Russia leave Chechnya?

The russians used a gass that causes a brief cardial disturbance. A person in full health would supposedly survive it, but the hostages had been under continuous stress and poorly fed.

If they did not use the gass, many more people then the current 120 would have died. It is the lesser evil.

I should make it clear, I don't know the type of gas. I acidentally said nerve gas as a way of talking about gas in general. The reports say they refuse to specify the type of gas.

Think about this: What kind of gas knocks you out so fast that there is no time to set off the explosives? That is some powerful stuff.

yea, and they probably considered the weakened hostages, but were faced with this dilemmma:

use gas at half strength: probably wont kill anyone, but it might not knock out all the terrorists

solution: use gas at maximum strenght. You MUST knock out terrorists, even though its gonna do major damage to civillians.

Basically, this is the "chemo-therapy" solution. both good and bad cells die.

That is bullshit you do not kill civilians to kill the terrorists. I do not know what Russian policy is for hostage situtions but that was the worst display of a rescue that I have ever seen. What jackass official decided to use nerve gas. Ohhh look it's a grease fire use water to put it out. ::)

I thought it was soe 700...oh well, details.

Sandwraith, exactly what would you have done? Brainlessly barging in with some men, letting the terrorists blow the building up and putting civilians and soldiers at risk? Come on.

More than 700 were saved...

Handle situation? How you can handle 50 fanatics with bombs on their corpses yelling for Putin to retreath from their devastated homeland? When they had started shooting, violence was only solution. About that gas, I don't know if it was best type, but russian army has not much money to have every type. NO2 would not neutralize them.

Imagine the President of the United States keeping American interests in mind....that's just weird (sarcasm).

Last time I checked, the people in the UK, Russia, or anywhere other than the US don't elect the President of the US to represent them. The rebels were actually going to release any Am. there. The chech. have nothing against Americans. If anything, Russia may have killed some Americans (I think someone is unacounted for). Maybe Russia is the problem. Last time I checked, I don't remember them doing much for the war on terror. If anything, they do business with Iraq/Iran. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Caid, I understand your point but at the same time the Russian officials options for handling the sitution were sort of terrorist themselves. The Russian officials said they could 1.) use the *nerve gas (knowing it would not only kill the terrorist but the civilians) or 2.) use explosives to destroy the building. Maybe it's just me but where is the official in this sitution that thinks outside of the box. If this is the way Russia is going to fight terrorist then the civilians had better learn how to protect themselves.

*even if they used the nerve gas how could they not let the doctors prepare so they could treat the civilians. The doctors should had been able to treat the 117 civilians taken hostage by the 50 terrorists. That is just disregard for your civilian population.

not telling doctors about the gas was a fatal mistake. I saw an interview last night with a PhD scientist in Toxicology who was certain that lives could have been saved had doctors been prepared for what was being used. When many of the dying were taken to hospitals, doctors had no idea what their problem was hence more needless deaths.

the Russians screwed this one up big time.