What's the most painful experience you've ever had?

SurlyPIG

I nearly drowned on one ocassion. I was swimming in North Carolina and I was pulled under by a wave. Not really being prepared for it I tryed to breath and got a lungful of salt water. I blacked out for a few seconds. I probably would have died had another wave after it not knocked me up to the surface.

Ok. I will tell you mine, just to remember that situation causes me pain and bad memories >:( >:( >:(

It was last year at a Taekwondo local tournament. Of course when u practice martial arts, pain can be expected and it comes several times, for sure.

I was fighting a guy from a different gym, I already had passed (and defeated) two players already the day before, so I remember that I saw this guy fight style the day before and I saw also that he had a different chest protector (still under regulations) but different, it was in my opinion much more hard and less flexible than my one, so based on both things I decided to concentrate most of my kicks on his head, well I was doing good until the 3rd round (the last one) until I've tried a frontal kick to his head with all the forces I had left, I jumped to get him, because he used to go back, but this time this guy at the same time, when he saw I was comming just put his both arms at his face, covering it completly, I went fast enough not to realize that both of his elbows were there, grrr, my right footh knocked those elbows so strong, he fall, I somehow managed to stay up and dont fall and stay on my feets waiting for him to stand up again, but suddendly I fall with no reason, then I started to feel very intense heat on my right foot, I couldn't be stand up, I started to yell, pain was increasing as fast as possible, I saw my right foot getting bigger as if I were blowing a ballon or something like that, next thing I remember was a nurse that had to cut my taekwondo shoes with a cutter because take it off as a regular shoe was impossible, then I saw the frontal part of my right foot with a ball as big as an orange ans as read as an apple, I had problems to walk for a few days and a more weeks to get well. So much pain, It just hurts to remember.

mine is i was riding my bike fell off the back and landed on the cement sidewalk flat on my back. i thought my back was broken.

another was i was riding my bike and i fell of the back and landed on my hand and my thumb was about 3 inches to the left of where it was supposed to be.

another was i was playing dodgeball and i threw the ball so hard i fell forward and snapped my right leg over my left leg. it hurt so bad i wished i was dead for an hour or 5.

another was my brother shot me in the hand when i was five with a pellet gun. i bleeded all over the place and it was inside too when i was 5.

OOH! Ouch zamboe what happened to it? Did you break a bone in your foot, or tear a ligament or something? It sounds like a really nasty sprain with some ligament damage...TKD injuries and other fighting sport injuries are by far the worst. My best friend is a hardcore TKD gu-ru. I went to just 3 of his tournaments and I've seen him injure 5 people! 2 were hospitalized! And it's not like he's a violent guy, he'd just really, REALLY buffed.

OOH! Ouch zamboe what happened to it? Did you break a bone in your foot, or tear a ligament or something? It sounds like a really nasty sprain with some ligament damage...TKD injuries and other fighting sport injuries are by far the worst. My best friend is a hardcore TKD gu-ru. I went to just 3 of his tournaments and I've seen him injure 5 people! 2 were hospitalized! And it's not like he's a violent guy, he'd just really, REALLY buffed.

Fortunately no bones were broke, but a mussle was damaged, however the usual movement that a foot does when u walk was a terrible pain for me for a several days. I remember that in some ocasions I needed asistance just to go to my bath, a few steps away.

I was hostitalized once, because of a fight in a training session, I mean just for a few hours, not a big thing, but in terms of pain, my foot's pain was by far the worst.

In last olimpics Taekwondo was for the first time an official olimpic sport, for that, all the protection stuff was modified, so now are a bit less chances to get seriously hurted, but just a bit. I just imagen the original taekwondo in Korea, when no protections even existed....

Capoera? The Brazilian one? That's even more of an art and less of a fight than TKD. Most of breakdancing was derived from Capo. I think you mean ju-jitsu, and if you do you're quite right, it's by far the most effective and most dangerous combat style. Kunk fu is pretty hardcore too.

Capoeira as I know has a few styles, but as any other martial art can be very dangerous if used unproperly (I mean martial arts, are only to eduacate spirit and body and not for atacking).

Unfortunately in Taekwondo several kicks and punchs were removed from the original style, because of safety, and are only showed to the black belts.

Yeah!, Bruce Lee's style is in my opinion the best martial art for self defense in real situations, not really very known as others but very efective.

Capoeira is an art, and they have jinga's where they kick block upsidedown kick dodge, etc. But if you hit while doing that it can hurt like a mofo, because my friend who practices capoeira did an upside down kick but fell (he's still in training) and smacked his foot in the other guy's abdomen. The guy was alright, but my friend almost broke his foot! Talk about ironic.

I think its g not j... I maybe wrong... I always get my g's and j's confused.

Have you seen the movie about it? its kinda chessy but is still cool...

I heard of the style while I was in basic, the guy tried to show us what it was like but I didnt realize how cool it was till I saw 2 ppl go at it.

Ah I see, Ac, I thought you meant it was dangerous in terms of in a real fight. I've never done true capoeira but I've breakdanced for two or three years which borrows many of its elements from capoeira. I saw these two breakers do some capo in a break circle, and man, it was incredible! They were throwing reverse kicks all over the place, inches away from each other. It must take a lot of trust to do that. The only thing comparable that I've ever done is Brooklyn style uprock, where two breakers kinda hop around on a solid beat, taking turns doing mock attacks and mock defense. Man it was fun...I did it with this one dude I'd never met but it was as if we'd been breakin together for months. I started with a reverse sweep-trip, he backflipped out of the way. He went with a reverse kick to my head, I jumped backward, caught myself on my hands in sort of a back drop suicide position and launched myself upright with a kip-up. He did a gainer (running backflip) right at me, swinging his arms at my head when he was upside-down! I was a bit slow and almost got clobbered, but I ducked and slid under it, and got up with a swinging windmill. I probably might as well have just posted that in Swahili, but oh well! Point is that it was mad fun.

I ride bicyle, fall on my nose an a path of little stoned (grindpad for the dutch).

I sit an a skateboard my nephiew is pushing me around i ride in a ditch, fall an my face...

are you my soulmate? i had those 2 accidents as wel.. i was driving my bike and for the first time my thingies (i will call them support weels) were taken off, and i rode around the house, i was so proud at myself that i threw my hands in the air and cheered, but not watching my steer, blam face on the ground, and i lost 2 teeth

the otherone was on school. i saw a skateboard (it wasn't mine) and i jumped on it but that was SO stupid cuz i just slipped (you know the skateboard has weels? ::) ) and crashed on the ground, a bone broken...

(btw i'm dutch too :) )

• 1 year later...

most painful, hmm lemme think. . .

I would have been 12 or sumptin. I was sitting on a swing (schommel) and I decided to lie down on it.

I started swinging and at first it was kinda cool, but then I almost fell and rammed my head through a

You want me to share my [funny] and sore mishaps.

Firstly, I was playing some football (Soccer to all you Americans).  It was a game which we call Cuppie, which is basically one on one.  Well anyway, I scored a goal to get me through to the next round and thought that I would celebrate, as you do, by swinging on a crossbar.  Can anyone guess what happened?  Well anyway, I was at the furthest point on the swing and my hand slipped.  My body momentum carried forward and put my hips above the rest of my torso, and I landed on my neck.  Pain ensured.  I then walked home, not being able to move my neck and got the emergency doctor.  He took one look, ask one question and phoned for an ambulance, and I was strapped to a hospital bed for 3 days, not being able to move.  It wasn't sore, but funny!

My next one came only a few months after I had recovered (recovery was a few months).  I was playing Football again, and tripped over the ball, and went over on my ankle.  CLICK!  Ankle swells up, hospital trip.  Damaged ligaments in left ankle.  Was in a cast for 6 weeks, being fit again in about 10.

And now my recent (and still current).  Playing Football AGAIN! (Think there might be a curse there) I was running with the ball (I am fairly fast).  My weak ankle goes (the one that I damaged above) and I go over on my ankle. at full speed.  My whole body weight carries over and I hear 3 distinctive clicks.  CLICK CLICK CLICK.  PAIN!!!!! OMG SO MUCH DAM PAIN!!!!  I have never felt anything like it in my life.  I get my boot off (cleet to all you Americans) and ice and water get poured on it as it swells up.  We can see where the damage is done, but we are unsure how bad.  Get to the doctors.  I was praying it was broken, but OH NO!  It wasn't damaged ligaments.  I had snapped some of the ligaments in my ankle. SNAPPED!  I was gutted.  But the thing was, the pain (bad it may be) was not the worse.  About a few days later when the swelling was right up (my ankle was horrible, ask Dusty of Dragoon Knight about the size of my ankle, well it got worse).  THe pain was intense, I couldn't stand upright (well I couldn't stand at all) without the pain overwhelming me.  There were a few days I was contained to my bed, because if my ankle moved from anywhere other then lying, I collapsed from the pain.  It was really that bad.

Anyway, that happend on the 28th of June (I know that because it was the date of my graduation meal).  I have been walking 2 weeks, and I start my fitness training on Tuesday again.  Looking at my ankle, it's still weak, and still very swollen.  I have been told that my ankle is now below 50% strength, and only with intense physiotherapy, I might get it back up to about 75%.  So you can tell how gutted I am.

Yes it still hurts, and yes it is still very weak.  There are some things I can't do and some things I want to do.

But alas, those are my sad tales of joy.  Good luck with the recovery, and be prepared to wear an Ankle support when you are doing sport for the rest of your life mate.

Long time ago. Stop bumping. Having said that.... You should stop playing football.

I can't actually remember most of my life (poor memory, not my fault), so I can't remember how painful various incidents have been in relation to each other. There have been a few though, so I'll just list them... I'm too cautious to have many. Or too young, whichever.

The first one that springs to mind is when I slammed a caravan door on my thumb, just between the joint and the nail. Now this may not seem like much, but it was at the hinge side of the door and a heavy swing. What's more, the door itself wasn't wooden, it was metal and rather sharp at the edges. I never actually visited a doctor after the incident (my family subscribes to the theory of medicine that goes "bother the doctor as little as possible") but I suspect that I chipped the bone and it just healed on its own.

I've jarred my back five or six times, all of which were similar and basically involved severe trauma to the base of my spine. It's not painful as such, after the first shuddering ache, but it makes it very very difficult to breathe and freezes most of the muscles in your torso (or at least, it did to me). In every instance I had to stagger to the nearest family member or friend and lie on the ground while my lungs were pressed shut by my cramping spine. Not nice.

And finally. The one and only time that I have ever broken a bone (I told you I was cautious). My cousin and my sisters and I were bored and my cousin said "How about I show you some of my self-defence moves?" Or words to that effect. We layed out a blanket on the floor, she asked if I was ready, and I had barely got the word "yes" out of my mouth before her foot was behind my ankle, her palm was on my chest, and all of a sudden the floor was getting much bigger.

My own memory tells me that I lay there for a few seconds. That of my sisters tells me that I was there for a long time, which means that I probably blacked out. The next thing I remember is staring at the blanket with a lot of pain in my left wrist. So I lay there and moaned for a bit. When I finally got up my arm was put into a home-made sling (Don't bother the doctor!) and I was instructed to wait. I can't remember whether it was that night or the next that we finally visited the doctor, who ordered an X-ray and some plaster. Turned out that both of the bones in my forearm (the radius and ulna) had fractured quite severely and one half of one of them had crossed on top of all of the other. Owchie. Well it was numbed and set back again (with an icky crunching noise) and plastered. And the final footnote is that the plaster was too tight and really really REALLY hurt.

Meh, that's about it as far as I can remember. There have been various nasty skiing and cycling accidents, but I remember little of them.