Ahh... the people on this board are doomed to repeat their mistakes...

Dunlavy

>:(

Something that recently occured me as I logged in and started reading some of the posts that indicate an ANTICIPATION for Westwood's upcoming game: you people are masochistic deush bags. Seriously.

I used to be pretty active in Westwood online game communities. I played Emperor online everyday and even a little Renegade. Before that I played Red Alert 2. And you know what? Each game has managed to piss me as bad as a hornet in hell.

First, we get Red Alert 2. People were raising hell when this game was first released, and with good reason. Red Alert 2 was like selling a chess set to the public, but giving the black side two queens or the white side less pawns. The game was highly unbalanced.

Now we move on to Emperor. We ALL know what killed Emperor, so I won't elaborate on it. This game is awesome and will always be a classic... but the online community that supports this game will dwindle (not die, but dwindle) and folks who don't feel like waiting ten minutes to play an online game will move on for greener pastures. What am I saying? They already have. Thanks Westwood, again. :-

Renegade... that game was just a bit strange. I'm not a big fan of pumping enormous quantities of lead into other players and watching them still juke left and right, bunny-hop, and what not... It just ain't right. The typical Renegade shootout consists of bunny-hopping, circle strafing, and zig zagging until someone eventually dies. Even explosives are not a one-hit kill. WTF? Granted, this is supposed to make the game more strategic since certain units have counterparts and anti-counterparts (paper, rock, scissor, flamethrower, etc.), but it's a bit misleading to market the game as an FPS... since it's more of an RTS with a different viewpoint and individual unit control. Surely in real life, a man standing in an open field and fired upon by a TANK won't stand a better chance than if he were to be shot at by a sniper.

Now, after all this... and after all the "I'm not supporting Westwood; they betrayed us!" whining and beseeching, you crazy folks are going to run out and buy the next thing Westwood Studios cranks out? You must be masochists. In fact, that's the very definition of masochism... paying for pain; enjoying it; anticipating it...

It seems that Westwood has somehow managed to botch a lot of their otherwise great games. Westwood games are somehow never a 100% stress-free, totally fulfilling gaming experience. There are patch battles, unit balancing issues, technical issues (WOL software doesn't even interface with LinkSys NIC hardware correctly), and ladder issues. And people notice these issues. They bitch like there's no tomorrow! And then they continue to eat out of Westwood Studio's hand like trained lap dogs.

I say to the Emperor community: Grow a brain.

And sorry, I'm just venting. Emperor is l337.

GENERALS WILL NOT BE.

Well i agree with what he said. I laugh every time is see you guys run/camp at the video game store for a new release by WW. just to post what crap it is on here two weeks later ::). I'm not judging you guys like Dunlavy, i'm just saying it's funny to watch.

Dunlavy, if you want to vent more, find out what WW hasn't fixed and why, and at the same time find alternatives to supporting WW by buying their games go HERE. They got tons of info on that stuff. The main page is being worked on, so if it's offline go HERE and you can read about recient developments until the main page is back up.

FWH

Well, Dunlavy has some good, and mostly true points in his post. But I have one question for his remarks: If I don't really care for the Blizzard style RTS, and I've always really loved the Westwood/EA type RTS, what is the alternative?

We buy Westwood/EA's games because they are great games. Yes, they have problems, but what game doesn't? The game industry is evolving at such a rapid pace, that games will only get better and better. You think that the game creators don't realize the mistakes they made in making Emperor? Of course they do. But it all comes down to economics. If you don't run out like Pavlov's dogs and salivate over the next Westwood/EA type RTS game, then either you've quit RTS games cold turkey, or you've jumped onto the Blizzard train. Those are the only two really great RTS makers. Or you might simply pirate the game and shoot both the company and yourself in the foot because every game depends on sales figures to justify further spending.

The point is, until someone does it better than Westwood/EA call me a salivating dog, but at least I'm having a good time.

I don't really like WW anymore- not since Ra. (Emp is not even a WW game). I like Zuxxez RTS games the best, but nobody of you probably knows that company.

Anyway, the WW flaming is indeed a bit hypocritical. I dislike WW because there is practicly no innovation in their games.

Well, Dunlavy has some good, and mostly true points in his post. But I have one question for his remarks: If I don't really care for the Blizzard style RTS, and I've always really loved the Westwood/EA type RTS, what is the alternative?

We buy Westwood/EA's games because they are great games. Yes, they have problems, but what game doesn't? The game industry is evolving at such a rapid pace, that games will only get better and better. You think that the game creators don't realize the mistakes they made in making Emperor? Of course they do. But it all comes down to economics. If you don't run out like Pavlov's dogs and salivate over the next Westwood/EA type RTS game, then either you've quit RTS games cold turkey, or you've jumped onto the Blizzard train. Those are the only two really great RTS makers. Or you might simply pirate the game and shoot both the company and yourself in the foot because every game depends on sales figures to justify further spending.

The point is, until someone does it better than Westwood/EA call me a salivating dog, but at least I'm having a good time.

The best way to get WW to correct their mistakes is to hit them in the pocketbook, wse proved that with renegade. Also, if you haven't tried it, the jedi knight series is really good, there's also star trek rts games that are quite good too

FWH