Dial-up users unite

NeoDevilbane

After the first minute of the game, if you keep playing then you are committing to its "speed" so if people quit in the middle due to lag, AS LONG AS THAT LAG ISNT SLOWER THAN IT WAS WHEN THE GAME STARTED, they are being lame.

I agree. But the shitty thing is that when a game starts with just a little lag, it usually gets worse when the game gets more "crowded". Especially on big maps like Fishers and Broken.

Get in a long 4 player game on a map like fisher plain where you might have 200 units from 4 players moving at once, then I guarantee you that bandwidth becomes a major factor.

Nope that's not connection, even with thousands of units from 4 players the amount of data being passed back in forth is almost insignificant. Like I siad it's almost entirely comp speed and graphics settings. It isn't the data for 1000 units that makes the game slow, it's the 1000 sprites that have to be computed, represented and trasmitted to the other players. THAT's why it gets lagyy.

i find that playing against Edric O (he has 56k and so do i) we (or just me) expirienced no lags or errors. it ran just like a skirmish against the comp. it was fun, but i had to forfeit. he destroyed my con yard 4 time (yeah im new) but i still killed more units than him.

hey is this post saying that 56K6 is pretty good or are you saying you are better than Edric O? :)

well, 56k is good, and i am almost* evenly matched with edric. if the houses were switched (tournement, frodo picked our team's) it might have been different.

I have to state that some cable modems can actually preform as bad as 56k modems. >:(

1. The time and day (ex. on weekends, it may be slower as more ppl are using it becuase of other internet games such as WC3, RA2, Renegade, AOEII, etc. faster on weekdays as few ever use the internet, except for business. ;)

2. The quality of the cable modem (some countries have better cable modem's than others. ex. USA has better modems that a poored country like Indonesia or India) :-[

I have to state that some cable modems can actually preform as bad as 56k modems. >:(

1. The time and day (ex. on weekends, it may be slower as more ppl are using it becuase of other internet games such as WC3, RA2, Renegade, AOEII, etc. faster on weekdays as few ever use the internet, except for business. ;)

2. The quality of the cable modem (some countries have better cable modem's than others. ex. USA has better modems that a poored country like Indonesia or India) :-[

Anyone's speed with a cable modem will depend on the number of modems that are connected on your cable loop. Some cable companies have a limit of the number of modems they will allow on a certain loop before running another loop in the area.

Now listen...

I pay for AT&T Cable internet in my area. Why? Because I'd kick my own ass for everyone else if I tried to play an RTS or first person shooter online with 56Krap. Besides, I love fast internet. A true computer guru doesn't tolerate pages that load in less than three seconds.

For those with 56K: Like it or not, you will be discrimated against. As politically incorrect as it is to verbally bash someone who can't afford to purchase a cable or ADSL modem and pay off the monthly bills, the fact of the matter remains that 56K users deteriorate the online experience for others. If this isn't true, why are more and more game servers banning users with high pings?? This is especially true in FPS shooters like Jedi Knight 2, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. In games like these, high pings lead to consequences such as players "popping" around on screen as though they are teleporting... and fragging these jumping beans is next to impossible short of the rocket launcher.

On Emperor: Battle For Dune the effects are far less noticable, but they are there. Users with low-end machines coupled with dismal bandwidth rates can cause a stuttering, crawling game speed for everyone else they're matched against (or with). THAT'S why I think Emprworm's quote "Why must I have to sacrifice my fun to sloth through lag soup for an hour in a game that should have taken only 20 minutes," speaks for this entire post.

Users with 56K should not attempt to tackle an elephant with a baseball bat. 56K is barely acceptable for internet browsing, so what kind of person assumes this lame, outdated technology can serve them sufficiently on online gaming servers?

This is Dunlavy (at work), speaking...

//**I'm bored so a little ranting was in order

to cheer myself up.**//

string1="idiot";

cout<"You are an &s.", string1>;

I'll repost this up top...

ehm yeah i hate it also like u to play some1 whos lagging

but in germany for example there r small towns where the people cant use dsl or cable ... so they have only isdn or modem56k ...

what i want to say is that not all people can get dsl or cable also they want it ...

:- :- :-