Dual Procs my probleM

I've tried getting help from westwood, of course they don't help at all, i tried everything they said nothing. I have up to date drivers on everything. I even went to ATI and they didn't help either, i tried everything they asked, even changing my hard drive settings to use DMA if they wren't already like that and it didn't work. Obviously (at the rate i received the e-mails after i sent them) they didn't do much to try to help. i hope someone here can...and i think it may be beacuse of dual procs?

What all have you tried ? I would like to help, but your dxdiag looks good and I am curious of what Westwood and ATI told you to do to fix the problem.

So far we know that you:

1) updated drivers on everything. (could you be more precise like

component/driver version?)

2) changed your hard drive DMA settings.

3) adjusted AGP aperture size in BIOS.

None of the above helped.

Is this list above all that you have tried?

All Right here is what i've done. Westwood has told me to close all programs i possibly could then install the game, i did the like no effect. I have done the DMA and aperture size. Yes i've updated my soundblaster drivers since that last DXDIAG. The drivers for my ATI product were the catalysts 2.3's the latest ones out. i've messed with all combinations of resolution + frequency + 16 bit 32 bit colors etc. None of them worked. I've disabled my sound card and tried playing, no effect. and if DXDIAG doesn't list it i have an ASUS A7M266-D AMD chipset motherboard. and lastly i've tried cracking the game to where i don't need to use the cd, and no effect. I hope this is enough information

It seems you've done a lot. Another possibility could be ram. Is the 512mb 2 modules, or just 1 ? If it's 2 modules, you might want to try and remove one of the modules. If problem persists, try swapping the other around to see if it solves the problem.

I'm assuming the "old" setup didn't have 512mb of ram..

#6, you remember Jeromeku from the Lockup thread ? He had dual processors and Win2K. He had it working, so I doubt that would be the problem (although you never know with Bill's software)..

I do remember that Jeromeku had a problem with dual procs before. I also remember asking the same question of Jeromeku about disabling one of the processors. I am only suggesting this to be absolutely sure that the dual proc setup is not the issue. I am not very fond of Windows 2000. I have only experienced this version of Windows at work, but it seems to be riddled with problems. I think Windows XP wou d be a much better version for gaming than Windows 2000. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

i am not going to disable one of my processors. I'm pretty sure that it may not be a hardware problem but a game problem. and if it is hardware and disabling a proc. works, it's pointless because what's the point of having the thing if your gonna disable it? plus this is the ONLY game that doesn't work on my comp. and i'm beginning to think it's because of westwood's Laziness and how much they really do suck

i am not going to disable one of my processors. I'm pretty sure that it may not be a hardware problem but a game problem. and if it is hardware and disabling a proc. works, it's pointless because what's the point of having the thing if your gonna disable it? plus this is the ONLY game that doesn't work on my comp. and i'm beginning to think it's because of westwood's Laziness and how much they really do suck

If the game worked fine after disabling the other proc, then you would only have to disable the second processor when playing Emperor. I really don't see what the problem is with at least trying.

We know it can work with dual processors and Win2K. We already helped another guy and he had EBFD working on a similar system as yours. The current question is, what's causing yours not to run ?

Remember that EBFD is the game that requiers most of your system. No other game I have has this (and I do own a lot of games). To give you an idea, Gobalopper had a problem where EBFD wouldn't run (or crash) and all other games worked fine. It appeared that he had faulty memory. Go figure..

What Number6 is trying to say, other games might work fine, but that may be because they are not as processor intensive as EBFD (hence why I asked earlier to try and swap memory modules around).. What we're asking of you is because we have experience in how hardware intensive EBFD can be, not because we think it's fun to have you do all the work. I do understand it must be a pain to go through all this to get a game working..

(this is not meant as a flame, just trying to explain why we ask these things :))

Well sry for that outburst and thank you all for trying to help, but it still doesn't work and i really don't want to bother you guys about it because i feel like i ask too much if i do since all of the suggestions haven't worked. As far as i can tell i have no faulty hardware, all games/benchmarks run fine, and everything seems to be detected and working fine without any problems. I can't disable a proc. because i don't know how, i know how when the game is up for long enough, but emperor crashes before i can change anything (i'm talking about the set Affinity as a win2k option in task manager). I would love to try disabling a processor though, just as long as i can do it under windows and i don't have to physically remove the thing. Thanks