C&C Generals link

Taqwa11

Here's some better info regarding the system specs for Generals:

Gen System Specs

Posted by - Lion @ 6:14 AM [DGN Forums]

Black_Knightus, a member of the Official Gen Boards, posted the following concerning System Specs for Generals. Not sure where he got his info, so I can't confirm it's accuracy. Looks ok to me though...

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION (SOLO & 2-PLAYER MULTIPLAYER)

A quote from the cncden.com site:

Mark Skaggs (EA Pacific): "As soon as the product (Generals) goes out on shelves we're going to start an add-on pack."

:O

How's that for confidence that Generals is going to be HUGE? The creators of Emperor were never that optimistic.

Wolftiger, from what I know, your system SHOULD work fine with Generals.

Rogue, here's a quote from an earlier post in this forum:

Oh, and by the way, I realize that this Generals topic has almost nothing to do with Emperor. However, I think that since Gob knows it is a topic of great interest to so many of us, he allowed it to stay where the most people will see it. Just look at how many views and replies it has received, and you will realize that Generals is a popular subject for us Emperor players. Thanks, Gob. :)

Damn it... My specs (after looking at my PC)

Processor: Pentium III 550 Mhz- This is where I lack... s**t...

Graphics Card: Inno 3D Tornado GeForce2

Hard Drives:(estimate full capacity)

:7.79 GB (Drive C)

1.59 GB (Drive D)

Memory: 192 MB RAM

CD-ROM Drive: Creative Infra 52x CD-ROM

(I don't play much online, so I guess I won't need the Network play stuff)

OK...is it possible? (As if I didn't know...)

Avrillian, I think it's possible that you MIGHT be able to play the single-player missions at lowest settings, but you are going to SERIOUSLY lag on anything else. Also, even on lowest settings, once you get hundreds of units on the battlefield you'll still lag. See, Generals will probably run on slower systems, but the lag will be intolerable and the game won't look so pretty. As I said before, PC gaming is an expensive hobby. On the bright side, though, I recently upgraded my wife's computer's motherboard from 500 mhz Pentium to a 1.3 ghz AMD Duron for 155 dollars. It made all the difference in the world. I'm sure you can find a better deal than that--especially if you know how to install stuff yourself. I have installed graphics cards, RAM, and CDROM drives, but I'm not experienced enough to do major work.

OK. but 1 thing bother me: in this computer (450 mhz), emperor work fine.. but when many units and bases coming around then my computer begin to lag... in a good computer (1.3 and upper) will it still lag when many buildings and such will be over the map?

I think that any computer runs slower the more you bog it down. The thing is, the fastest computers slow down much less noticeably. For example, my wife's old 500 mhz, which I used to use to play RA2, would run fine until there were a lot of units on the map. My own Alienware, on the other hand, never slows down with RA2--although in really long four-player games of Emperor I do notice that things slow down quite a bit. Of course, when that happens, I don't know if it's my computer, one of the other guys' computers, the connection or what. All I can really judge is how things slow down when you are playing a game like Emperor against the computer in single-player. If you really lag late-game in single-player Emperor, you're gonna lag even worse with Generals.

EA Consolidation, Westwood closed, expansions for Generals, among other things:

EA consolidates studios, closes Westwood

News

The publisher reveals plans for a large new studio in Los Angeles, bringing together the Medal of Honor and C&C: Generals teams, plus staff from Westwood's closing Las Vegas location.

As a part of its quarterly earnings report, Electronic Arts has announced that it is consolidating its Los Angeles, Irvine, and Las Vegas studios to form a new campus in Los Angeles. The move involves significant layoffs at Westwood's Las Vegas studio, which employed more than 100 people, although EA spokesman Jeff Brown said that many are eligible for transfers to Los Angeles or to EA's headquarters in Redwood Shores, California. Brown couldn't specify the number of layoffs, due to pending transfer offers. The new Los Angeles campus will open late this summer and will house around 200 developers.

EA has definite plans to continue supporting and creating new content for Earth & Beyond, despite the closure of the Westwood studio. The game's support staff will now be concentrated in Redwood Shores. While the fact that Westwood didn't have any new development projects was a major factor in the decision to close the studio, Brown confirmed that EA has "an active plan for more games in the Command & Conquer franchise." Westwood founder Louis Castle is the only member of the studio who was confirmed to be moving to Los Angeles, but other senior team members who have been deeply involved with the series are also expected to continue working on it in the new location. The last day for many Westwood employees will be this Friday, but a transitional staff will stay on until the studio's final closure on March 31.

Contrary to early reports, virtually the entire EA Pacific team, currently located in Irvine, California, will be continuing on and moving to the new Los Angeles campus. Earlier today, before the consolidation announcement, EA Pacific's Mark Skaggs told GameSpot that the studio has strong growth plans and has a couple of projects lined up, including an expansion pack for Generals.

EA's current Los Angeles studio is made up of the team that created the Medal of Honor console games. The Medal of Honor franchise started out at DreamWorks Interactive, which EA later acquired. The consolidation will allow the team to move out of its current location in the DreamWorks building.

There are big plans for the new Los Angeles studio. Planning for the new campus has been under way for several months, and while an exact location has not yet been finalized, it is certain that it will be within driving distance of the motion-picture studios. The studio will start out with 200 developers and support staff members from the three existing studios, and there are plans to hire an additional 300 developers over the next two or three years, which will make it the second largest EA location in the world after Redwood Shores. Brown said that it will be much larger than other Los Angeles game studios, and will likely have more creative personnel than any motion-picture studio.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [postED: 01/29/03 - 07:21 pm pst]

Here's confirmation of Generals' on-time release for 2/11/03, from the official Generals site:

Well, we've had a few quirks with our not-so-accurate countdown for Command & Conquer Generals. The date shown has been all over the map, but rest assured, we're going to get you on the battlefield on February 11th, 2003.