The Butlerian Jihad Reviews

Mahdi

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue281/books2.html

That is the link to the scifi channels review of the novel. I strongly suggest you read it. It is written by the same guy who reviewd the miniseries, and is a rabid fan of Dune (you know that quote "If this miniseries reminds you of Star Wars at any time, remember that Dune was first published in 1965 and count how many years it took Lucas to file off the serial number"? He's the guy who said it).

• 2 weeks later...

"'When Isaac Asimov unwisely sought to revise and extend his Foundation trilogy to incorporate his Robot series, he ran into exactly this problem. No one could do a better job than Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson, but they face the impossible task of a painter assigned to create a "prequel" to the Mona Lisa.'

Hehe, reviews already huh? Nah, I will buy the book. When the books first reaches Sweden, they first appear in large gigantic formats, I don't like those because I bought the original Chronicles in pocket format, as well as the prequels. This means I will have to wait another month, at least, for the "normal" version to be released. Hell, I haven't read House Corrino yet because of this!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree totally, they capture every character exactly in the right way, and it keeps you on the edge! The battles are awesome, and the network of characters is the best. I'm only on page 372, and I can't believe I have so much great stuff to read still!

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are several robots that can have human attributes. Such as the cymeks. And Erasmus, a special exception among his robot folk, which you will find out why somewhere in the middle. But think about it, self-sufficient and self-reliant AI hanging around, computating billions of computations for years and years and years, you'd think they would develop a personality.

Here's my review, it's somewhat complete because I put it on my blog.

Dune: The Butlerian Jihad

by Kevin J. Andersen and Brian Herbert

The Butlerian Jihad a prequel set in the Dune universe 10,000 years before the first Dune book by Frank Herbert. Humanity has spread from Earth and exists on many planets. However, a group of 20 humans had their brains removed and placed in canisters allowing them to live indefinitely and called themselves, the Titans. Through use of computers and technology, they conquered much of humanity and enslaved many planets. However, their programming of the computers backfired on them and the computers and AI took control of everything themselves, making the Titans their henchmen. On the edge of the planets exists the League of Nobles, groups of people who have not yet fallen to the thinking machines. For over 100 years there have been no conflicts with the computers and an uneasy peace has existed. This changes, however, as the computers attack a major planet. The rest of the book details the struggles of Serena Butler, Xavier Harkonnen and others who fight the machines in several large scale battles. Vor Atredies is the son of a Titan who also gets pulled into the conflict. The story itself is pretty good, though not above average. There are several plot threads taking place at once, which are not always intertwined so it